Emily March Fans discussion

Mark - Brazos Bend #3 > Opening Thoughts About Mark

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's that time again - tell the group what you're most interested in finding out in Mark - and what your first reactions are as you read. Take your time - we have all month to love another Callahan brother.

message 2: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Started reading Mark on Sunday night, a couple of days early I know but there are so many new books out this month that I want to read, the new one by Leeanna Morgan-Sealed with a Kiss (Emerald Lake Billionaires Book 1) for one.
In respect of Mark it appears that he is still letting the loss of his wife & daughter rule his future & what he really wants.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Lesley wrote: "Started reading Mark on Sunday night, a couple of days early I know but there are so many new books out this month that I want to read, the new one by Leeanna Morgan-Sealed with a Kiss (Emerald Lak..."

I haven't started yet -- I ended up re-reading a book I'm due to review today, and then I went back and read the prequel to it, just because I loved the characters so much.

This weekend was truly difficult for me - the worst since mom passed away. I couldn't seem to break out of the cycle of memories, guilt, regret ... the numbness wore off (as I knew it would, eventually) and I really went down a dark rabbit hole for two days. Yesterday I rested and read, then did every piece of laundry in the house. Today I'm going to get the review done, do some graphics for a friend's blog tour next week, and then clean something else. I think what I need now is a routine of some kind, and I plan to blog about this crazy time in my life.

I am really looking forward to Mark because I know that I'll be uplifted by the story. Although I started my book well over a year ago, I hope to channel some of what I've learned through Emily's writing into Where Angels Sleep. What was once a dark read will have, by the end, an uplifting message. There is an audience for reads that make you feel better at the end and that's the audience I want. I'm also modeling the intimate scenes differently than I'd originally envisioned. This group has helped me refine my vision for the story, and now I'm excited to see where it takes me. For now, I hope to start Mark tonight!

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "Lesley wrote: "Started reading Mark on Sunday night, a couple of days early I know but there are so many new books out this month that I want to read, the new one by Leeanna Morgan-Sealed with a Ki..."

I'm just getting to an intense part of Mark's story & can't wait to pick it up again tonight.

You are going through a rough time at the moment with one thing and another but it is still early days yet in respect of your Mum. There is no right or wrong way to grieve is there but it will get easier. As it happens I had to go into my parent's memory box today to look for something in connection with my Family History research & I ended up re-reading some letters my Mum sent me after my Dad died as I lived away from them & ended up with tears running down my face & they have been gone since 1998 & 2001. Don't forget that she loved you & was proud of you & will be watching over you. I find that if I read I can usually escape my thoughts for a while but it can heighten my emotions for the book I'm reading. Hope this makes sense & helps a little. We are here for you. Take care.

message 5: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Ok guys, that's me finished reading Mark's story & waiting for you all to catch up so we can have some conversation. Goodnight everyone from the UK.

message 6: by Jina (new)

Jina Gibbs | 763 comments Lesley wrote: "Ok guys, that's me finished reading Mark's story & waiting for you all to catch up so we can have some conversation. Goodnight everyone from the UK."

Dear Lesley,
I want to be you when I grow up. I wish I could be on point like you. I will try to get caught up as soon as I can. I am trying to finish Matt right now. Its a great read but life is so busy. I will tell yall about it later.
About grief, I am lucky enough to still have my parents alive and well. I know our time togetjer is short now and I dread the day I get that phone call. My life will never be the same after. The closest thing I have experienced to that is my Grandmother Edna passing. She wasnt just my grandmother, she was one of my best friends and my mentor in many ways. I think of her very often. I have her picture in my wallet, a portrait of her and grandpa in my bedroom and I take walks and talk with her when I am troubled or missing her or missing home. It gives me peace to talk with her whether she "hears" me or not. I have also planted some of her favorite flowers and this year when I am working on my "Angel garden" I have it designed in such a way that both grandma's favorite flowers will be by the Angel statue and bird bath and across from the bench to sit at. It will take a couple years for the garden to fill out but once it does it should be a peaceful place to read and meditate.
Paula, I am so sorry for your pain. You are handling it very well. There is no right way to grieve, take your time and lean on your friends (pick us, pick us *raises both arms while jumping up and down*) tell us what you need from us to help you through this hurtful time. We love you mooey much (as Sarah says) and want to be there for you as you've always been there for us. Maybe it would help to put memories down in a book. Or tell people stories of your mother and things you've learned from her. I think what the generation before has lived through is fascinating. It might be good therapy for you to laugh and cry through looking over your lifetime with your mom. Its just an idea. I hope I haven't offended you.
Love and hugs to all,
Jina

message 7: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Lesley wrote: "Ok guys, that's me finished reading Mark's story & waiting for you all to catch up so we can have some conversation. Goodnight everyone from the UK."

Sorry Lesley. I hope to catch up this weekend after I turn grades in for my 8 week course. I am a book and half behind.
Have a wonderful day.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Hi Ladies, In respect of Mark's story, I didn't mean to be 'bossy' but as I'm retired and don't now have all the other family & work commitments you do most of the time I can pick & choose what & when I read.
I love hearing what is happening in all of your lives. ups & downs, family & work. Catch up when you can x

message 9: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Lesley wrote: "Hi Ladies, In respect of Mark's story, I didn't mean to be 'bossy' but as I'm retired and don't now have all the other family & work commitments you do most of the time I can pick & choose what & w..."

You help keep us on track. This group of students have been interesting. Some of them had no computer skills plus they do not want to read so they turn assignments in that have nothing to do with the instructions given both verbal and as a handout and on the computer. I get another group starting Monday. I am almost finish Luke and hope to get the next one started this weekend.

message 10: by Kay (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:31PM) (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments I have started Mark and again I want to Gibb smack him. Those Callahan men really hit a nerve with me and it isn't always good. I just want to cry for Annabelle. Will leave it at that until everyone catches up.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Now I am absolutely intrigued. I haven't started yet but I was able to finish the review that was due. I had to work out of town today and it wore me OUT. Tomorrow we are getting our taxes done and I'll be "free" to do some reading! Friday I'm going to work on my novel or bust a gut trying.

I just might have to start Mark tonight before I crash. I'm sure I'll be ready to gob-smack him within minutes. I'll let you know!

P

message 12: by Kay (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments Yea for Annabelle! She just gave Mark the big Gibb smack, verbally. Loved it! Again I have to say I forgot so much of this story. Like reading it for the first time and it is just as good.

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Kay wrote: "Yea for Annabelle! She just gave Mark the big Gibb smack, verbally. Loved it! Again I have to say I forgot so much of this story. Like reading it for the first time and it is just as good."

Something to look forward to reading about. Thanks Kay

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I had to finish a book I couldn't put down yesterday - but today is the day I meet Mark. Oh, how I love a good "Gibbs smackdown"! I know I'm going to love Annabelle already.

Welcome to the weekend, everyone! Be safe, healthy, and hooked on Brazos Bend. Laters!

message 15: by Kay (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:42AM) (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments I was listening to Jill Shalvis' book, Rescue My Heart, and it had a similar theme with hero/heroine relationship as Mark did so I wanted to Gibb smack that hero too. MEN! :):):) They are so stubborn, idiotic, ridiculous, stupid; just can't find the right adjective to describe these guys. It does all end well. Thank you authors!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree, Kay. I started Mark last night and I absolutely love the banter, the fights, the wives...but I'm ready to kick Mark where the sun don't shine. He is more complex than the others, so I will give him more leeway than Matt. But not much!

message 17: by Kay (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments I so understand Paula! Stubborn, stubborn men! Mark is more complex and if he had just talked with his Dad he would not have been so miserable for so long and caused such problems with Annabelle. Men!!! GRRRrrrrrr!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Mark last night and I have to say the turn of events kept my head spinning and my heart twisting until midnight! As much as I enjoy the love story, it's the brothers themselves and their family relationship that just lifts my heart. I could read Callahan stories til the cows come home. And now I can't wait to read John's story.

I'm now contemplating questions to ask the group and get feedback on different aspects of the book.

If any of you are curious about some aspect of the story and want to know what everyone else thinks...post your questions in the comments or message me and I'll turn them into topics!

:-)

Happy Sunday!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Mark last night and I have to say the turn of events kept my head spinning and my heart twisting until midnight! As much as I enjoy the love story, it's the brothers themselves and their family relationship that just lifts my heart. I could read Callahan stories til the cows come home. And now I can't wait to read John's story.

I'm now contemplating questions to ask the group and get feedback on different aspects of the book.

If any of you are curious about some aspect of the story and want to know what everyone else thinks...post your questions in the comments or message me and I'll turn them into topics!

Happy Sunday!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Sunday!

message 21: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "I finished Mark last night and I have to say the turn of events kept my head spinning and my heart twisting until midnight! As much as I enjoy the love story, it's the brothers themselves and their..."
Hi Paula, Just so you know some of your posts are coming through three times.

message 22: by Kay (new)

Kay (kkfar) | 502 comments It was really good Paula! The Callahan brothers are very complex and the family dynamic is what makes the story so great. I loved the way Emily weaved each story and how each book played off the last one. As I did in the beginning I may have to read Angel's Rest after finishing this series.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, ladies. My phone app for Goodreads is awful! I push comment and it triples the post, but not every time. So frustrating! That ... And the phone fills in crazy words that are not mine.

Hopefully I'll get to the laptop in a bit. It's been a crazy day. I already want to read all 3 of the Brazos Bend books again. Mark had so many team member characters I'd love to have read a series about their exploits as a team. I bet it would be great!

message 24: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 669 comments Paula wrote: "Hi, ladies. My phone app for Goodreads is awful! I push comment and it triples the post, but not every time. So frustrating! That ... And the phone fills in crazy words that are not mine.

Hopeful..."

I agree with you about the team member characters, it would be an interesting dynamic. Will we be reading the Callahan Christmas before Reunion Pass?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes! We will squeeze in A Callahan Carol before Reunion Pass because ... John Gabriel! *swoon*

message 26: by Melinda (last edited Mar 25, 2016 01:28PM) (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments I have finally started Mark. I am thinking he is full of surprises. Out of all the Callahan men, he has kept a lot of secrets. I thought I would never get things done so glad that I have finally got started.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you're loving it! I think it was my favorite.

message 28: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments I just finished Mark. I have enjoyed all three but I like Mark probably because I am extremely stubborn and can understand Mark as well as his brothers. I love their ladies as well This book will be in my favorite calm because we tie loose ends up but open the door for the Eternity Springs series. You also get to see The differences between the Callahan Brothers and Eternity Springs in Emily's writing style.

message 29: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments Kay wrote: "I have started Mark and again I want to Gibb smack him. Those Callahan men really hit a nerve with me and it isn't always good. I just want to cry for Annabelle. Will leave it at that until everyon..."

I understand about the Gibb smack. Mark deserved it as do all of the Callahan men at some point.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree. I wanted to kick him where the sun don't shine. But I loved him so much by the end. Sigh.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree. I wanted to kick him where the sun don't shine. But I loved him so much by the end. Sigh.

message 32: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorieroberts) | 18 comments Between last Thursday and Monday, I read A Callahan Carol and then Mark, in that order. It was really interesting knowing what happens after Mark before his and Annabelle's story. A Callahan Carol was also a great refresher of all of the characters, as I read Matthew and Luke stories about a year ago. The whole series has been so exciting!

message 33: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 592 comments I agree Marjorie that the series is exciting.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I've loved every book in the series - I miss them already. I want to read more with all four of the Callahan men and their families, together. The banter between the brothers is such a joy.