Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival. . . by Laura Hildenbrand 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Feb 27, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand I both read and listened to this book. I'm glad I had the ebook with the audio, otherwise I would have missed the pictures and the footnotes (which weren't read). The audio narration was excellent!

It amazed me that Louis Zamperini, or any of the other POWs made it out of those camps at all! I found that I was unable to read this book at night before I turned out my lights - my brain just couldn't process, and I couldn't fall asleep. I'm not at all sure that I'll be able to watch the movie.

The book is excellent, the story is very moving. The period of time they spent in the life raft was emotional. My sister-in-law just lost her father who and been adrift in a life raft for weeks. I didn't know that until he'd started to fail an she told me what she knew of that story. He was in his 90s. I'm debating whether to recommend this book but I think it's way too soon right now.

I had moments of goose-bumps and moist eyes in many parts of the story. I'm not sure I care for the period at the end that went into what became of The Bird but I can understand why Hillenbrand included it. I know I saw some interviews at the time the book came out. I wish I'd read the book by then so that I would pay more attention to hearing and seeing Louie.

message 2: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments I think it would've been interesting to listen to the book. I'm not usually an audio book fan because my mind wanders. But, this one may have kept my attention. I'm glad I read it, though, because like you said, I would've missed the pictures.

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8334 comments I listened to the audio. I had no idea I missed photos and footnotes. Although I loved the book, I'm a bit disappointed I missed out on those!

message 4: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I listened to the audio. I had no idea I missed photos and footnotes. Although I loved the book, I'm a bit disappointed I missed out on those!"

You can always order the book (or ebook) and just look at the pics! It was really nice to have that to go with the audio but I'm glad I listened, great narration!