Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Rescuing The Bible From John Shelby Spong
The Cafe - Open Discussion > Do liberal Christians see Jesus as any better than Gandhi?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rod (last edited Feb 27, 2016 09:43AM) (new)

Rod Horncastle I'm serious, DO liberals really think Jesus is more useful OR historically trustworthy Than Gandhi?

They claim almost everything we know about Jesus is a myth. But out of that myth comes a really nice guy (who obviously was NOT divine) and who cherishes material humanism and MANKIND above all else (whatever liberals cherish of course) - except babies in the womb of course... you can dispose of those based on passing moods. (Whoops! That's just liberals in general. ALL about empathy indeed. Don't club those baby seals -- but here's a human infant you can ripe apart and sell, for empathy and human altruism of course. Science only deals in facts.)

WE know a great deal about Gandhi and his teachings.
Liberals claim we know a small bit about Jesus and myths around him.

What exactly makes the liberal Jesus better than Gandhi? This place is over-flowing with liberals, so it shouldn't take long to get some answers.

Bible/Jesus/Trinity loving Christians have cowardly squirmed into hiding it seems. Too busy with their Daily Bread 2 minute Christian lives - unless they have all ran off to become Missionaries in Africa or Detroit, that would be awesome. (and i'm getting more like Jonah: sick of telling Nineveh a hopeful message --- but I continue for the sake of the Gospel).

message 2: by John (new)

John Hanscom | 276 comments Though the question assumes all "liberals" believe the same thing, the general answer is, "Yes."

message 3: by Peter (last edited Feb 27, 2016 10:32AM) (new)

Peter Kazmaier (peterkazmaier) | 191 comments Hello John,

Thank you for responding to Rod's question. Given your justifiable caveat that not all "liberals" believe the same thing, are you able to amplify your "yes" answer that "liberals" do think Jesus more useful OR historically trustworthy than Gandhi? I am interested in understanding that assertion given that (from my perspective) so much bandwidth seems to be expended in reducing the historical Christian documents to mythology. I am interested in understanding what "liberals" are able are recover and why it would be valuable to them. After reducing so much history to myth, why not throw Theism out altogether and go straight to Naturalism or Materialism?

message 4: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Thanks Peter. My thoughts exactly. (just said more nicely).

Do all liberals believe the same thing? The problem is progress and NEW never stop --- so it's more like they are on the same journey to endless NOTHING (all liberals eventually just become atheists who hate the very idea of a Biblical God.)

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments I don't see the usefulness of pitting Jesus against Gandhi. "He who is not against me is with me."

You sure do spread that word Hate around a lot, Rod. Am I safe in assuming that you hate:

1. liberal Christians
2. gays
3. Catholics
4. Scholars
5. Scientists
6. Basically, everybody outside your backyard?

message 6: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Where's the fun in hating PEOPLE?

I have friends who are gay.
I have friends who are Catholics.
I have friends who are REAL scientists.
I have friends who are REAL scholars.
Only my Dog is in my backyard.

"Okay, maybe I do specifically hate liberal christians - even though I don't believe there is such a thing. I also hate talking snakes --- talking donkeys are okay though.

I hate what people DO to warp and destroy the truth of Jesus. You are desperately interfering with the Salvation of mankind. You are free to enjoy this for a time. But then...

message 7: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Lee, who is this "ME" you are referring to when assuming we are discussing the same Jesus? Let's get back to the topic at hand:

Jesus is better than Gandhi because a liberal says??? what exactly?

message 8: by Lee (last edited Feb 27, 2016 07:11PM) (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments You are so totally clueless about liberal Christianity, Rod. It just doesn't matter how often I try to educate you.

A liberal Christian will not pit Jesus against Ghandi. Period.

message 9: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Of course they won't - but the question is WHY NOT? Add some Buddha in there too.

Honestly I don't think liberal christians do much of any thinking.

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments The question is not why not, but why WOULD someone pit Jesus again Gandhi?

Conservative Christians are very us-versus-them. They have more enemies than Donald Trump, because they want it that way.

Liberal Christians, on the other hand, actually look to the example of Jesus.

message 11: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Which example of Jesus?

The Jesus of the Bible? ALL of it? The magic Jesus who argues with demons, finds money in fish, stops storms, water into wine... raises buddies from the dead, born of a virgin?

I assume it's some other Jesus. More like a historical Gandhi.

message 12: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments When will you quit asking that question? Once more: the Jesus who lived on this earth.

message 13: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle And you know about him HOW?

message 14: by Lee (new)

Lee Harmon (DubiousDisciple) | 2112 comments I admit it's hard, because we have no eye-witness testimony. Our best source is a historical-critical approach to the Bible, weighing the various opinions therein and fitting the pieces together. We also have writings from early church fathers and a few non-believers. I'm not sure I'm answering your question, because I don't think you really care.

message 15: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle I care greatly Lee.
That's why I've spent years chatting with you buddy.

Here's where you make a desperate and wrong assumption Lee:
"Our best source is a historical-critical approach to the Bible..."

AS opposed to a magical God-given one. You must realize you are attempting to do the spiritual by leaving the spiritual outside in the dumpster???

message 16: by Xdyj (new)

Xdyj Gandhi is a great thinker and statesman, but arguably on issues like economy and the caste system he was not as radical as some of his colleagues.

message 17: by Rod (new)

Rod Horncastle Did Gandhi and Jesus both fail at following their religious cores?