All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > March 2016 - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gill (last edited Feb 27, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments What are your reading plans for March?

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments I have 5 to start me off
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
The Martian by Andy Weir
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandell
The heart is a lonely hunter by Carson McCullers
Sarah's key by Tatiana de Rosnay
Looks like another great month. :)

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 77 comments Tracey wrote: "I have 5 to start me off
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
The Martian by Andy Weir
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandell
The heart is a lonely hunter by Carson McCullers
Sarah's key by Tatiana de Rosna..."

You have some really good ones. I loved The Martian and Sarah's Key. Station Eleven was also very good.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (ylisa7) | 77 comments I will start off by finishing A Little Life and Brooklyn for a challenge

Then I can start my March books:
My Name Is Lucy Barton
The Lake House for a buddy read
The Wright Brothers is a PIFM book
The Girl In The Ice for a challenge
Hide and Seek for another PIFM
Salt to the Sea
and
Animal Wise: The Thoughts and Emotions of Our Fellow Creatures

And whatever else comes up.

message 6: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Lisa I have salt to the sea too might read it March too. :)

message 9: by Colleen (last edited Mar 06, 2016 06:21PM) (new)

Colleen  | 349 comments Will be finishing Snow , because it seemed to be a winter read, however it really warmed up today - 60? degrees so I better hurry up.

Then the list includes:
Daughter of Fortune (TBR pick)
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena (RL book club)
Try Not to Breathe (GR win)

And hopefully if time: We Need to Talk About Kevin ( because I've been wanting to for awhile) Also listening to New Moon (while running/exercising) - forever!

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) I will be finishing A Clash of Kings, then I will go on to read:
The Harmony Silk Factory
Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes
The Little World of the Past
Mosquitoes
... and maybe something else, too, if I have the time.

message 11: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 14, 2016 02:07AM) (new)

Chrissie I will start with these that I have already purchased:

Phineas Finn 4 stars read by Anthony Trollope
Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. 5 stars read by Ron Chernow
The Prince of Tides 2 stars read by Pat Conroy

I have so many I want to read. How can I pick?

See message 44 and 45 for other books read this month.

message 12: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 28, 2016 01:55AM) (new)

Chrissie Colleen, The House of the Spirits (5 stars for me) should be read before Daughter of Fortune. If you still love these then continue with Portrait in Sepia. These are my favorite books by the author, leagues better than all the rest. Paula is excellent too, but completely different.

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I'm going to start with A Prayer for Owen Meany, followed by The Loney, and then - I don't know...

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Shirley, I was just looking through my wishlist, trying to pick. Hard, huh? But fun. I have so many I HAVE to read. All of them very soon.

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I know, Chrissie, sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed!

message 16: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I don't feel overwhelmed, I just want to read everything at once! NOW, and that is not possible. I can only read one at a time! The thing is....... often what you think before you read a book is better than the book itself.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments the plan for March is to finish: Don Quixote and Demons
and read:
Work Like Any Other: A Novel – Virginia Reeves
Anubis: A Desert Novel - Ibrahim al-Koni
A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving
Money - Zola
The Whole by Contemplation of a Single Bone: Poems – Nancy K. Pearson
Early Poems - Ezra Pound

message 19: by Greg (last edited Feb 28, 2016 09:59AM) (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "the plan for March is to finish: Don Quixote and Demons
and read:
Work Like Any Other: A Novel – Virginia Reeves
Anubis: A Desert Novel - Ibr..."

The al-Koni one looks fascinating Jenny - I wonder if I can get hold of a copy of that.

And I quite liked Pound's early poetry! Enjoy!

message 20: by Greg (last edited Apr 01, 2016 07:57AM) (new)

message 21: by Leslie (last edited Apr 02, 2016 07:01AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments My plans:

Finish up The Elfstones of Shannara.

For various group & buddy reads:
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household

Don Quixote by Cervantes
Castle Rackrent by Maria Edgeworth
Black Plumes by Margery Allingham

The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer {reread so only if I have time}

for personal challenges/goals:
And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov
Last Seen Wearing by Hillary Waugh
Lark Rise by Flora Thompson
(and perhaps the rest of the trilogy as well)
Poems by Rainer Maria Rilke
Mort by Terry Pratchett

If time and interest allows:
The Selected Poetry of Jaroslav Seifert
Purge by Sofi Oksanen
The Cider House Rules (audiobook)

message 22: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Jenny wrote: "the plan for March is to finish: Don Quixote and Demons"

Two demanding books, above all Demons! Loved both of them.

message 23: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Leslie wrote: "My plans:

Finish up The Elfstones of Shannara.

For various group & buddy reads:
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household
[..."

And Quiet Flows the Don is wonderful!
Be careful because the complete edition should have more than 1000 pages, I have seen that you linked to an edition who has only 500 pages. It would be a pity if you read only half of the book.

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments @Greg, let me know if you get hold of a copy! I am looking forward to that one a lot

@Leslie, I am reading Don Quixote at the moment and liking it lot! Also I personally loved Purge, so I hope you'll be enjoying it too if you get to it. And last but not least: I'd love to hear your thoughts on the books by Jaroslav Seifert and by Mikhail Sholokhov, both of them really jumped out to me from your list.

@dely, yes, quite demanding, but thoroughly enjoying both

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments dely wrote: "And Quiet Flows the Don is wonderful!
Be careful because the complete edition should have more than 1000 pages, I have seen that you linked to an edition who has only 500 pages. It would be a pity if you read only half of the book. ..."

The link is for the edition I have, a paperback that used to belong to my dad. It does say on the cover "Complete and Unabridged" so hopefully it is the whole book. Glancing through it, the print is pretty small... Fingers crossed!

message 26: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Presently sure of three books. Two fresh reads and one a re-read.

Fresh Reads:
1. By Night In Chile
2. The Noise of Time

Re-Read:
1. The Power and the Glory

message 28: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 29, 2016 12:38PM) (new)

Chrissie Alice have you read Robert K. Massie before? He is a really good author. I am sure you will enjoy Catherine the Great and Crime and Punishment! Fun that you have both of them in front of you.

message 29: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Leslie wrote: "The link is for the edition I have, a paperback that used to belong to my dad. It does say on the cover "Complete and Unabridged" so hopefully it is the whole book. Glancing through it, the print is pretty small... Fingers crossed! "

Finger crossed for you!
Well, if it is only the first part and you like it, you can decide to buy also the second part. If you don't like it, you can give up.

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Dhanaraj wrote: "Presently sure of three books. Two fresh reads and one a re-read.

Fresh Reads:
1. By Night In Chile
2. The Noise of Time

Re-Read:
1. [book:The Power and the Glory|6..."

Dhanaraj, I really enjoyed the first two that you listed (well you already know how much I liked Barnes). Hope you'll enjoy them as well.

message 31: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Chrissie wrote: "Alice have you read Robert K. Massie before? He is a really good author. I am sure you will enjoy Catherine the Great and Crime and Punishment! Fun that you have both of them in fron..."

It will be my first one by Massie. I've also added his Peter the Great: His Life and World, because I've heard people compare Kangxi Emperor to him. And Catherine the Great's reign ran parallel to Qianlong Emperor's (Kangxi's grandson). Good to know that you liked Massie!

After reading War and Peace, I'm getting more interested in Russian history :)

message 33: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Jenny Wrote: Dhanaraj, I really enjoyed the first two that you listed (well you already know how much I liked Barnes). Hope you'll enjoy them as well."

Yes, I knew how much you like Barnes and especially his latest work. I too am a fan of Barnes. It is Bolano who is new to me. It will be his first for me. But happy to know that you like him as well.

message 34: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:55PM) (new)

Chrissie Alice wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Alice have you read Robert K. Massie before? He is a really good author. I am sure you will enjoy Catherine the Great and Crime and Punishment! Fun that you have bot..."

My favorite by Massie is Nicholas and Alexandra. I would grab his one on Peter the Great if it were available. I adore everything Russian.

message 35: by Chrissie (last edited Feb 29, 2016 11:02PM) (new)

Chrissie Karin, To Kill a Mockingbird is a must read. I wonder what you will think of The Red and the Black.

message 36: by Pink (last edited Mar 14, 2016 04:01AM) (new)

Pink I didn't make a Feb to read list as I've been picking things up on the spur of the moment. For March, I'll continue with the three I'm currently reading and go from there -

Ulysses
The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History 3 stars
Carol

message 37: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 349 comments Chrissie wrote: "Colleen, The House of the Spirits (5 stars for me) should be read before Daughter of Fortune. If you still love these then continue with Portrait in Sepia. These are my fav..."

Oh no Chrissie! I hate when that happens. The House of Spirits is also on my TBR. I hope it still goes well. This will be my first Isabel Allende, and I'm sure not my last.

message 38: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 02, 2016 12:36AM) (new)

Chrissie Colleen, it is not essential to read them in order, but it is nice if you can. The House of the Spirits is my favorite by far.

message 39: by Alice (new)

Alice Poon (alice_poon) Chrissie wrote: "Karin, To Kill a Mockingbird is a must read. I wonder what you will think of The Red and the Black."

Karin & Chrissie, I loved The Red and the Black. Here's My Review if you're interested.

message 40: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Alice, I have read The Red and the Black and did not like it. I was trying to be diplomatic.

message 41: by Caecilia (new)

Caecilia Saori Reading three books right now,

almost finished with Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

halfway through My Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout

and started Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari yesterday evening.

planning a re-read of The Secret History by Donna Tartt with my Instagram buddies starting this weekend.

message 42: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 349 comments Chrissie wrote: "Colleen, it is not essential to read them in order, but it is nice if you can. The House of the Spirits is my favorite by far."

Good to know. Thanks!

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura B. My March TBR contains Glass Sword, Cruel Crown, A Thousand Nights, and All the Bright Places

message 44: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 29, 2016 09:35AM) (new)

Chrissie I have to add more books to read since the others are completed:

The Jungle read 3 stars
A Room of One's Own read 1 star
America's First Daughter read 2 stars
Fair and Tender Ladies read 4 stars

See message 11 and 45 for other books read this month.

message 45: by Chrissie (last edited Mar 31, 2016 12:34PM) (new)

Chrissie And this:

Sir Harry Hotspur of Humblethwaite read 2 stars
The Hollow Ground read 1 star
Tobacco Road read 2 stars

See messages 11 and 44 for other books read this month.

message 46: by Myst (new)

Myst | 494 comments Blargh, my first book took me 15 days to read. I won't be reading everything on my list this month!

message 47: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Myst, chin up. Just go on. It is not how many books you read that matters, but the enjoyment they give. Was that 15 day one a failure?

message 48: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Myst wrote: "Blargh, my first book took me 15 days to read. I won't be reading everything on my list this month!"

I know what you mean, I've been reading Mosquitoes for 7 days and haven't finished it yet. That's a lot for me, for a book of about 350 pages. But I do agree with Chrissie, the important thing is not how many books you read, but the enjoyment you get from them. For me, taking this long to read a book means a failure, as it wouldn't take me so much if I liked it. So I feel for you if it's the same in your case.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to read a bunch of books on my to read shelf, and also finish up on some series that I have started and not yet completed.