Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 105k Adult High Fantasy to Begin March 15

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Thibodeaux | 21 comments I've written an adult high fantasy novel of approximately 105k words (to be determined, as I'm finishing the final edit now), and am seeking beta readers to provide feedback.

This is my first novel, and my first time sharing so much of my writing with others. Don't mistake me though, I am not ultra sensitive about my writing. I love the process, but am fully aware that I have a lot of learning left to do.

My novel features four heroes (the leading being a female) who meet and realize they have a great deal in common. They are all being hunted by creatures seeking to destroy them, and must unwind the thread of their pasts in order to determine why they are chased. Only by working together and embracing who - and what - they are will they stand a chance against the foes facing them all.

There is no swearing in my book, but there is some brief gore.

Please let me know if you have any interest in reading this novel. I am looking for any type of feedback, but especially story line/plot holes, readability, flat lines or confusion, character development, scene transitions, etc.

The final edit will be completed by March 15, which is when I'd like the betas to begin. I'd like the betas to be completed by April 15 if possible.

I can provide the manuscript in PDF or Word format.

I'm happy to swap with another writer seeking a beta. I've completed one ARC review previously, providing minor feedback in the past. I will completing two additional ARC reviews in the next month. I can provide feedback such as the kind I'm seeking. I can also provide feedback on awkward sentences, excessive adverbs, inconsistent tenses, etc.

Thank you in advance for considering.

brittany@brittanyslair.com
brittanyslair.com
@brittanyslair

message 2: by Peter (new)

Peter Hill (peterlikesbooks) | 13 comments Hi Brittany,

I'm intrigued by what you have written, congratulations on getting to the final draft, that's a great achievement. I'd be happy to beta read for you and to the time frame you've suggested! I would - if chosen - read the manuscript in PDF format.

If you are interested, please email me at peterhill160@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks,
Peter

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Thibodeaux | 21 comments Thanks Peter! I've emailed you.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen (kivrin) | 70 comments Hey Brittany! I'd love to do a beta swap with my 166,000 new adult fantasy. Email me at karebaer@gmail.com and I can send you a synopsis. Or you can read where it's posted on this group at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by HitC (new)

HitC (hitcgirl) | 136 comments Hi Brittany,

Congrats on finishing your first novel!

I may be a good fit for you if you're looking to hire a beta reader; fantasy is my specialty.

I'm an independent editor who also offers beta reads. Below is a bit more info from my website if you're interested. You can also go to www.owlediting.com for more info, including discounts, special offers, and testimonials.

Beta Reading:

I’ll read your manuscript to get a feel for plot, characters, setting, voice, writing quality, or problem spots. Comments will be inserted within the manuscript and will point out issues a first-time reader may have as well as offer suggestions for improving structure, character development, plot, voice, and writing quality. This option does not include any editing.

Cost:

10k – 49k words = $50

50k – 99k words = $100

100k – 150k words = $150

Above 150k words = $200

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Thibodeaux | 21 comments Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am not in a position to hire a beta reader at this time. If there is a time that I am able to, I will check out your site.

Thanks!

message 7: by HitC (new)

HitC (hitcgirl) | 136 comments Completely understand. I wish you much luck in your process!
Brittany wrote: "Hi Tiffany,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am not in a position to hire a beta reader at this time. If there is a time that I am able to, I will check out your site.

Thanks!"