The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > March Scattergories

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: March 1st to March 31st

Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z.

Let me know if you have any questions.

General
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place:
6.Cover:

March Specials
The name of March comes from ancient Rome, when March was the first month of the year and named Martius after Mars or Ares, the Greek god of war. For those locals that practice it Daylight Savings Time begins in March. March is Women’s History Month. March is also the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Saint Patrick’s Day is in march and often celebrated by wearing o’ the green , or loud festivals or parades where things are shouted.

7.Something to do with war:
8.Something to do with time:
9.Womanly:
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted:

message 2: by Jennifer H (last edited Feb 27, 2016 08:55AM) (new)

Jennifer H The letter of the month is...

message 3: by Barbara ★ (last edited Apr 01, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2556 comments I'm in.

Letter = R

13 POINTS

General
1. Book Title: Revived - Cat Patrick 3/13 (1 POINT)
2. Author: Hallowed Circle - Linda Robertson 3/26 (1 POINT)
3. Main Character: Rosalind - My Lady Quicksilver - Bec McMaster 3/17 (1 POINT)
4. Secondary Character: Ronald - The Highway - C.J. Box 3/16 (1 POINT)
5. Place: Reltan (alien planet) - Stud - Cheryl Brooks 3/2 (1 POINT)
6. Cover: RUNNING - If I Should Die - Allison Brennan 3/8 (1 POINT)
description

March Specials
7. Something to do with war: - Stud - Cheryl Brooks 3/2 (1 POINT)
(a man enough to stage a war against an entire world and win), p36

8. Something to do with time: - Guardian - Jo Anderton 3/6 (1 POINT)
(they weren't regular enough to provide a decent way to estimate time), p101

9. Womanly: -
(), p

10. Green: - Stud - Cheryl Brooks 3/2 (2 POINTS)
(the rocky barren wasteland had risen up and given way to fields of green), p127

11. Spring: - Dragon Fall - Katie MacAlister 3/11 (2 POINTS)
(I realized with surprise that he was tense and ready to spring), p196

12. Something Shouted: - Viking in Love - Sandra Hill 3/3 (1 POINT)
(her shouted reprimands could be heard by one and all), p29

Stud (Cat Star Chronicles, #8) by Cheryl Brooks Viking in Love (Viking I, #8) by Sandra Hill Guardian (The Veiled Worlds, #3) by Jo Anderton Revived by Cat Patrick Hallowed Circle (Persephone Alcmedi, #2) by Linda Robertson My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) by Bec McMaster The Highway (Cody Hoyt, #2; Cassie Dewell, #1) by C.J. Box Dragon Fall (Dragon Falls, #1) by Katie MacAlister

message 4: by Joann (last edited Mar 22, 2016 09:25AM) (new)

Joann | 1255 comments Items: 12 / 12

General
1.Book Title: The Rock Orchard [1pt]
2.Author: Rayne Property of a Lady
3.Main Character: Roberta The Railway Children
4.Secondary Character: Rueban - Our Endless Numbered Days [1 pt]
5.Place: Rhode Island My Sister's Keeper [1 pt]
6.Cover: Red dress & cape The Anatomist's Wife (Lady Darby, #1) by Anna Lee Huber [1 pt]

7.Something to do with war: The Anatomist's Wife p.110 “...tiny scar in his Right eyebrow, Received during the WARS with Napoleon.” [2pts]
8.Something to do with time: The Rock Orchard p.35 “Everyone set their watch by the courthouse clock, which always Ran a little slow.” [1pt]
9.Womanly: My Sister's Keeper p.203 "...the kind of Woman whose bra size Ranks higher than her IQ." [1pt]
10.Green: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Piep.3 “Using my knife as a Ruler and my fork as a prod, I marshalled the peas so that they formed meticulous Rows and columns across my plate: Rank upon Rank of little GREEN spheres.” [4 pt]
11.Spring: The Last Time I Was Me p. 366 “Have you looked at the SPRING styles on the Runways Recently?” [2 pts]
12.Something Shouted: Our Endless Numbered Days p.64 “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair!” [2pts]

message 5: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 31, 2016 12:22AM) (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 120 comments Letter = R

19 POINTS

General
1. Book Title: Rebel of the Sands 28 March (1 pt)
2. Author: Raasch, Sara - Ice Like Fire 29 March (1 pt)
3. Main Character: Russo, Harry - Dead and Kicking 5 March (1 pt)
4. Secondary Character: Ryland - Shadow Game 2 March (1 pt)
5. Place: Riverton - Dead and Kicking 5 March (1 pt)
6. Cover: Roots, rose - Uprooted 31 March (2 pts)

March Specials
7. Something to do with war: Many of us believe that the wars in Arden will spread to the ‘rest‘ of the Seven‘ Realms.‘ (Kindle Location 3912). The Exiled Queen 9 March (2 pts)

8. Something to do with time: It read, ‘Looking forward to our time together this evening’ and was signed ‘Regards, Salvador’. pg 99 Dead and Kicking 5 March (2 pts)

9. Womanly:

10. Green: Sap smelling like spring rain ran over her in thin green rivulets, and she didn’t move. Pg 98 Uprooted 31 March (3 pts)

11. Spring: Where the baked eggs had been, a roast chicken; instead of the bowl of rabbit stew, a heap of tiny new spring beans, though it was seven months past their season; instead of the baked apple, a tartlet full of apples sliced paper-thin, studded with fat raisins and glazed over with honey. pg 24 Uprooted 31 March (3 pts)

12. Something Shouted: “Let her be examined further,” Marek shouted over the rising noise of conversation, almost aglow himself with righteousness. pg 255 Uprooted 31 March (2 pts)
Shadow Game (GhostWalkers, #1) by Christine Feehan Dead and Kicking (The Harry Russo Diaries, #1) by Lisa Emme The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima Rebel of the Sands (Rebel of the Sands, #1) by Alwyn Hamilton Ice Like Fire (Snow Like Ashes, #2) by Sara Raasch Uprooted by Naomi Novik

message 6: by JoAnne (last edited Apr 01, 2016 05:21PM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1107 comments Letter = R

Categories completed 12/12; 7 books read; 16 POINTS

General (10 points)
1. Book Title: Reluctantly Royal Reluctantly Royal (Suddenly, #3) by Nichole Chase Reluctantly Royal (Suddenly #3) by Nichole Chase 3/31/16 4stars (2 points)

2. Author: Rachel Gibson - What I Love About You by Rachel Gibson What I Love About You 3/21/16 3.5stars
3. Main Character: Rafe Sullivan - The Way You Look Tonight (The Sullivans, #9) by Bella Andre The Way You Look Tonight (Sullivans #9) by Bella Andre 3/8/16 4stars

4. Secondary Character: Ryan - Serving Trouble (Second Shot, #1) by Sara Jane Stone Serving Trouble (Second Shot #1) by Sara Jane Stone 3/9/16 4stars

5. Place: Rockies and Ranch - Walker Mountain Ranch - More Than a Feeling (Heart of the Rockies, #3) by Sara Richardson More Than a Feeling (Heart of the Rockies #3 by Sara Richardson 3/28/16 4stars - 2 points

6. Cover: - red; ribbon; Rebecca - 3 points
How to Bake a Man by Jessica Barksdale Inclan How to Bake a Man by Jessica Barksdale Inclan 3/18/16 3stars

March Specials 6 points
7. Something to do with war: Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #5) by Candis Terry Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas #5) by Candis Terry 3/5/16 4stars
The sounds of war rushed at Jake, and time stopped. page 4 (1 point)

8. Something to do with time: Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #5) by Candis Terry Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas #5) by Candis Terry 3/5/16 4stars
It had been a really long time. page 46 (1 point)

9. Womanly: Reluctantly Royal (Suddenly, #3) by Nichole Chase Reluctantly Royal (Suddenly #3) by Nichole Chase 3/31/16 4stars
It was the one they used to convey womanly thoughts. page 224 (0 points - no r word)

10. Green: Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #5) by Candis Terry Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas #5) by Candis Terry 3/5/16 4stars
Her red hair was pulled up in a bun, and dark circles dimmed the light in her green eyes. page 315 (1 point)

11. Spring: Serving Trouble (Second Shot, #1) by Sara Jane Stone Serving Trouble (Second Shot #1) by Sara Jane Stone 3/9/16 4stars
Your babysitting experience won't help with a room full of college kids counting down the days to spring break. page 16 (1point)

12. Something Shouted: Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #5) by Candis Terry Truly Sweet (Sweet, Texas #5) by Candis Terry 3/5/16 4stars
"One hundred fifty meters and closing," Eli shouted in return while scoping the opposite ridge. page 2 (2 points)

message 7: by Jonquil (last edited Mar 28, 2016 11:50AM) (new)

Jonquil Letter = R

0/12
0 POINTS

1. Book Title: Runaway Vampire 3/18
2. Author: Robert A. Heinlein Have Space Suit—Will Travel
3. Main Character: Logan Ross The Raphael Conspiracy
4. Secondary Character: Prince Rumbold Enchanted 3/7
5. Place:
6. Cover: red guitar, red dragon
The Blues Detective by Andrew Peters

7. Something to do with war: "Ronald Reagan's ultimate joke, the war on drugs" loc 4886 Napalm & Silly Putty 3/2
8. Something to do with time: "Rest of the time pulls beer taps in a bar in Revere" loc 892 The Raphael Conspiracy 3/5
9. Womanly: "futile motherly attempt to raise the bodice" pg 77 Even Vampires Get the Blues 3/20
10. Green: "who was looking rather green" pg 139 St. Patrick's Day Murder 3/5
11. Spring: "spring was really on its way" pg 225 St. Patrick's Day Murder 3/5
12. Something Shouted: "Within minutes Rumbold heard it shouted from the ramparts" pg 302 Enchanted 3/7

message 8: by Karen ♐ (last edited Mar 21, 2016 03:46PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 897 comments Letter = R

10 POINTS

General
1. Book Title: Ruin - 3/5
2. Author: The Flesh Cartel #1: Capture by Rachel Haimowitz - 3/19
3. Main Character: Bristol Reese - Pure Wicked - 3/5
4. Secondary Character: Rhage - Lover Unbound - 3/7
5. Place:
6. Cover: Pure Wicked (Wicked Lovers, #9.5) by Shayla Black - 3/5

March Specials
7. Something to do with war: Lord Dashwood Missed Out - 3/7 - Loc 1799 - The Highlands that had all but disappeared by the time they'd returned from war

8. Something to do with time: Matthew - 3/5 - Loc 185 - She had one particular daydream that recurred each time she allowed her mind to drift

9. Womanly:

10. Green: Matthew - 3/5 - Loc 552 - I remember you from Miss Green's classroom.

11. Spring: Matthew - 3/5 - Loc 34 - The gentle early spring breeze ruffled his chocolate brown hair

12. Something Shouted: Lover Unbound - 3/7 - Loc 2840 - Then he bared fangs that had fully dropped and shouted his release

message 9: by Jade aka MrsTosh (last edited Mar 21, 2016 06:26AM) (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments Letter = R
Points = 12
Books Read= 5
Completed: 12/12

General
1. Book Title: Rumour Has It
2. Author: Robyn Carr
3. Main Character: Resisting Ryder ~ Ryder
4. Secondary Character: Rumour has it ~ Rose Symonds
5. Place: Roxborough, London
6. Cover: Red Leaves

March Specials
7. Something to do with war: Any Scot of Mine ~ Ross had to admit he was impressed, Jamie had lost his leg during the war Loc 1263 (1 point)
8. Something to do with time: Resisting Ryder ~ the alarm clock read a little past seven o'clock. Loc 159 (1 point)
9. Womanly: The Trouble with Kilts ~ The bride was so pretty it made Riley cry. Loc 25 (1 point)
10. Green:Resisting Ryder ~ The breeze swayed and rustled the green leaves on the sycamore trees that lined the street. Loc 495 (1 point)
11. Spring: The Trouble with Kilts ~ Riley stepped onto the back patio and drew in a deep breath of cool spring air. Loc 696 (1 point)
12. Something Shouted: Any Scot of Mine ~ "Riley!"Lucy shouted Loc 620 (1 point)
Resisting Ryder (Hellfire MC #1) by Blakeley WildeRumour Has It by Jill Mansell The Trouble With Kilts (MacLarens of Balmorie, #3) by Kam McKellarAny Scot of Mine (The MacLarens of Balmorie, #4) by Kam McKellar

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

March 2016
Letter R

General
1.Book Title:
2.Author:
3.Main Character:
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place:
6.Cover:

March Specials
The name of March comes from ancient Rome, when March was the first month of the year and named Martius after Mars or Ares, the Greek god of war. For those locals that practice it Daylight Savings Time begins in March. March is Women’s History Month. March is also the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere. Saint Patrick’s Day is in march and often celebrated by wearing o’ the green , or loud festivals or parades where things are shouted.

7.Something to do with war:
8.Something to do with time:
9.Womanly:
10.Green:
11.Spring:
12.Something Shouted:

message 11: by Jade aka MrsTosh (new)

Jade aka MrsTosh (mrstosh) | 703 comments completed with 12 point :)

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 120 comments Complete with 19 points (see message 5). I found them all except 'womanly'.

message 13: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1107 comments completed on post 6

completed 12/12; 7 books read; 15 POINTS

found womanly in several books but no r words in the sentence
counted as found but 0 points

question - I know cover could have multiple items for the designated letter but can place? book was sent on a ranch in the Rockies
Could both be listed and get 2 points? I only put ranch and 1 point

message 14: by Jennifer H (new)

Jennifer H Yes, you can do that

message 15: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 1107 comments Jennifer H wrote: "Yes, you can do that"

Great, thanks!