Western Authors & Readers discussion

What do you think is needed to keep your readers interested in your novels?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 78 comments I posed the question because it was asked of me earlier this week. I said that it is conflict and theme. With these two elements, any story will hold a readers attention. Interesting to me the man who asked the question is a singer/song writer who is changing from hard-rock to country music. Keeping this in mind, while I was driving home from work the other day I put CDs on and selected the songs from each CD that I liked best. Sure enough, it was the ballads, the songs that told a story. Songs from Meatloaf, to Don Williams, conflict and theme were what made them interesting.
I have begun the process of rewriting my latest project and because of my answer to the singer/song writer I am paying very close attention to the conflict (s) and theme (s) in this one. What do you think?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caudell | 9 comments I would suggest that it be fast moving. Long drawn-out descriptions will bore the reader.

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Lutman (goodreadscomrichard_lutman) | 69 comments A good plot that keeps the story moving and characters I can identify with.

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 17 comments Kent wrote: "Interesting to me the man who asked the question is a singer/song writer who is changing from hard-rock to country music."

There's a country song on that same theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlUR9...

message 5: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 10 comments Protaganist(s) and antagonist(s) that hold my interest.

message 6: by Lou (new)

Lou Bradshaw (oldeyes) | 50 comments pace and characters... Keep it moving and keep your characters interesting. Movie goers didn't flock to the Dirty Harry films because they were well written. They went because of the action and the character. The same holds true with readers.

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Lutman (goodreadscomrichard_lutman) | 69 comments In the current issue of Writer there is an article about theme. The title of the article is: Promises, promises, establish theme early and stick with it.

message 8: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 78 comments I agree. It can be done clever, subtle or if it is good for the story, like a hammer hitting an anvil. I like it when it is presented in dialogue.

message 9: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 78 comments I agree. It can be sly, cleaver, subtle, or like a hammer hitting an anvil. I like it when it is presented in dialogue.

message 10: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Woodling | 10 comments The unexpected.