RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

RMFAO 2016 Genre Challenge > March: Romance + Literary Fiction

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heena (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2174 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

I hope you had fun reading for Feb’s challenge. [If you're new, then please don't bother worrying about anything. You can join us for this month.] This month’s genres are: Romance + Literary Fiction.
You can either do any one of these genres or both of them. It's entirely up to you. If a book comes under the sub-genre of these genres, however remotely, then it can be included as well.
So, basically, there are absolutely no limitations. Read what you want to (in the broader sense of the genres.)

Here are the definitions for each genre:

Romance: According to the Romance Writers of America, "Two basic elements comprise every romance novel: a central love story and an emotionally-satisfying and optimistic ending." Both the conflict and the climax of the novel should be directly related to that core theme of developing a romantic relationship, although the novel can also contain subplots that do not specifically relate to the main characters' romantic love. Other definitions of a romance novel may be broader, including other plots and endings or more than two people, or narrower, restricting the types of romances or conflicts.

Literary Fiction: Literary fiction is a term that has come into common usage in the early 1960s. The term is principally used to distinguish "serious fiction" which is a work that claims to hold literary merit, in comparison from genre fiction and popular fiction. The name literature is sometimes used for this genre, although it can also refer to a broader category of writing.

Here's a quick summary of the levels:

Level 1: Casual Reader: 1 book (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 2 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 3 books (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 4 books (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 5 books or more (challenging)

Please go ahead and announce your February to-read books along with the level you are targeting for.

All the very best and happy reading.!

message 2: by Heena (new)

I'm not going to be reading loads of books this month (just like last one) but I'll try and read at least 1-1 book for each of the two genres.
All the best guys...

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3276 comments Mod
Thanks, Heena.

Ha, I like the part in Literary Fiction that says "a work that claims to hold literary merit."

message 4: by Mythili (new)

Mythili (therealmyth) I don't really read those intense romance novels cos the female leads are often cringeworthy. But I am reading When the Duke Was Wicked, which a historical romance and so far, it's going good.

Target: Level 3 for now.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 208 comments I'll be skipping this month, see you all in April!

message 6: by Manaswin (new)

Manaswin (goodreadscombook_worm77) | 37 comments This month is going to be a lull for me. Romance is not really to my liking and literary fiction, well, isn't everything literary fiction. Probably I''l turn to some classics this month.

message 7: by Heena (new)

@Dagny Lol! Me too ;)

@Mythili Looking forward to your review/rating for this one... I'm not much into Historical, but recently I've discovered a new author who's changing my perceptions... Have fun reading!

@Steve See you in April, dear!

@Manaswin See you also next month then... Romance is always a slow month for Genre Challenge. Have fun reading classics. Even I have to read a few of them with Dagny's group, but I'll be joining her after June.

message 8: by Heena (new)

My first book for this month is Perfectly Broken
I'll be starting with this tonight.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (andrew619) | 153 comments I think I'll pass this month. Romance is not one of my favorite genres and I'm not in the mood for Literary Fiction. But, It's possible that before the end of the month, I read something in this last category.

message 10: by Dagny (new)

Mythili wrote: "But I am reading When the Duke Was Wicked, which a historical romance and so far, it's going good."

Like Heena, I didn't think I liked historical novels, but I am hooked on Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series. I think for me it will be a matter of when and where. These are set in New Orleans in the 1830s which I am finding fascinating.

message 11: by Dagny (new)

I am wondering what the cut-off date is for 'literary fiction'. How far back can we go? There is a Tolstoy and a Henry James lined up for this month at the https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/1... (anyone interested is welcome to join and we just started one by Heinrich von Kleist) I'm thinking maybe not the Henry James, but possibly the Tolstoy.

If those older classics don't count, I'm still in good shape as I found a couple of interesting books classed as 'romance/adventure' and 'romance/suspense'.

message 12: by Amaryllis (new)

Amaryllis Turman (amaryllisturman) | 3 comments I love romance, so this month will be super easy for me!

message 13: by Milena (new)

Milena (chancemaycrown) | 6 comments I'm gonna try Level 2 this month.

My first is To Kill A Mockingbird, which, though I have read this when I was about 14, is a book I need to reread again.

My second will probably be a romance novel, yet to be determined.

message 14: by Mythili (new)

Mythili (therealmyth) Dagny wrote: "Mythili wrote: "But I am reading When the Duke Was Wicked, which a historical romance and so far, it's going good."

Like Heena, I didn't think I liked historical novels, but I am h..."

Oh! New Orleans! I'll be sure to check this out cos I just love that era.

message 15: by Mythili (new)

Mythili (therealmyth) Here's my review for When the Duke Was Wicked: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Historical and romance, it was a rather fun read with a well developed female lead character and a slightly cliched but charming male lead.

message 16: by Dagny (new)

Mythili wrote: "Oh! New Orleans! I'll be sure to check this out cos I just love that era."

The list is here: https://www.goodreads.com/series/5058...
I've read the first four. The first one is slow in places as it introduces the characters and sets up the time frame, etc. The next three were super reads. So far, each book focuses on a different aspect of the history - like Mardi Gras, plantation life for slaves, Voodoo.

message 17: by B. R. Kyle (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:29AM) (new)

B. R. Kyle (Ambiguous Pieces)  | 55 comments I think I might just try for two books this month:
The Night Circus
Outlander

message 18: by Heena (new)

Done with the first one... sadly it was a DNF. Surprisingly, I found the descriptions of how the lead guy looks at girls quite offensive.
#1 Perfectly Broken- 1/5- DNF

message 19: by Dagny (new)

BR wrote: "I think I might just try for two books this month:
The Night Circus"

I absolutely loved The Night Circus!

message 21: by Dagny (new)

2. The Dead Letter, An American Romance by Metta Victoria Victor

message 22: by Manaswin (new)

Manaswin (goodreadscombook_worm77) | 37 comments My first for this month is The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell. An absolute 5 star read and recommended to those who want to read about India First Struggle of Independence in 1857 (& more). My review here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 23: by Dagny (new)

My third for the month: The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry

That's it for me for March: Two romances and one literary.

message 24: by Heena (new)

I'm so glad this month is almost over!!!
Looking forward to reading some amazing books next month! It's totally my thing :D

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Looking forward to reading some amazing books next month! It's totally my thing :D"

Good for you, Heena! Next month isn't my thing, but I've managed to find one in each genre.

message 26: by Heena (new)

@Dagny: That's awesome, Dagny. That's why I admire you, you always find something interesting to read :) I'm so excited for next month that I can't even begin to describe it!!! I'm going to read World War Z (FINALLY!!!) And other awesome apocalyptic books...
I've even started writing an Apocalyptic series- Annihilation. And I literally dream every day about what should be in it...
I guess my blabbering is making it quite apparent how excited I am! Lol!
I'm making the new thread right now. Finally, this mont's ordeal is over!!!

message 27: by Heena (new)

The thread for April's Genre Challenge is here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...