The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset (The Hunger Games, #1-3) The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset discussion

Good idea, not so good literature?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Watkins Okay, I read this a while back and LOVED the story and then the films were pretty good too. However, I have a slight problem. The story is really really really good, but the writing just let it down a bit for me, especially in the third book. I don't know if its just me, because I would say I am a fan, but I cannot say that its the books I love, but more the idea. Anyone else with me on this?

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Umm, it's not bad but it's not EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD either.

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Apr 30, 2014 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen I thought it was good. But to me, good writing doesn't necessarily follow any prescribed formula. If the story draws me in and I'm not distracted by stupid words or phrases (ie: the Uglies series), repetitive words, or misspellings or something, I count it as good writing.

I wonder though if gender plays a role in this issue. The book was written in first person, and I notice that a lot of "girl" books are also written in first person. My brother read HG and felt the same way as you - liked the story, but not the writing so much. He prefers third person.

William Watkins Kristen wrote: "I thought it was good. But to me, good writing doesn't necessarily follow any prescribed formula. If the story draws me in and I'm not distracted by stupid words or phrases (ie: the Uglies series),..."

I would agree with you on that as I couldn't really relate, but with the Maze Runner Series, the protagonist is a guy and it is in 3rd person, and I felt it had the same problem. I enjoyed the story and the idea, but the writing really wasn't that enjoyable for me. However, I didn't find the use of new words as being that annoying, I quite liked them, but the writing style overall just didn't work for me.