Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

I Let You Go
This topic is about I Let You Go
Archive - Group Reads > I Let You Go - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the thread for I let you go by Clare Mackintosh. Your moderator is Nick

message 2: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments Is "I let you go" written in the first person? If it is,then I'm not interested.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments I do not believe that this book is available in the States yet.

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) This looks really good and is not available from my library - "on order". Your comment, Kristen, explains it.

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Hi Marion. Strangely, I Let You Go is written from a number of different Points of View. It has first person from the main character and another leading protagonist, but parts are narrated in the third person to link it together. A bit in the style of Gone Girl I wasn't sure it would work but it is actually very clever in that respect and I think it comes off.
Kirsten/Suzy: I am afraid being in the UK I didn't check if it is available in the States yet and am surprised it isn't. You can get it for Kindle though at http://www.amazon.com/Let-You-Go-Clar... It is a Sunday Times bestseller over here and is produced by a reputable traditional publisher. They are a bit slow off the mark if this is the case.

message 6: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Hi all,
Group moderator Chava here.
I hear that this book isn't published in the USA yet. The GR page says it was published in November 2014. Nick has done everything right in nominating this book. Usually books come out in the USA first before the rest of the world (Nick is in the UK). We will go ahead with this discussion. It is unfortunate that some people won't have access to this book (yet).

message 7: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments Thanks for the info Nick

message 8: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 670 comments Mod
They have copies on order in Toronto at the public library. Hopefully the book arrives soon so that I can participate :-)

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Icewineanne wrote: "They have copies on order in Toronto at the public library. Hopefully the book arrives soon so that I can participate :-)"
Fingers crossed Anne

message 10: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I see from Amazon that the hardcover will be released May 3, 2016 in the States! A rare time that I wish I had a kindle. I read either paper print or listen to audio - looks like this is available in German from Audible. :)

I will definitely read this when it comes out, but will miss out on this conversation, sadly.

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments It appears to be available on Audible in the UK Suzy, though a bit expensive?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Let-You-Go/...
It is really strange that it has taken so long to publish in the States when it is doing so well this side of the Pond. You can let us know what you think when you eventually do get it

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Yes, I will dip back into the conversation after I read it. It's not available in the States on Audible either and it won't let me grab the audio from the UK. I love seeing, however, the enthusiasm for the book (mainly 5 stars) on Amazon.

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments You would have thought the main idea behind online books would be that they are available from anywhere, in audible or digital format. Crazy when they are just sending a file. Isn't it supposed to be the Worldwide Web? :)

message 14: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina (niisku80) | 13 comments I found 1 copy of this book at my local libary, but I'm still waiting getting to get my hands on the book. I should get it whitin 2 weeks so hopfully I have time to read it and take part in the discussion.

message 15: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 0 comments Hmm I got this book a couple months ago and I live in the US but can't remember where I got it. If you guys are interested you can download a pdf copy here to hold you over until your library has it. If you want to download the audio to your computer you will have to first download the VK Saver chrome extension, which is kind of a pain but worth it. The quality of both could be sucky but if it's all you can get right now then maybe it's worth it.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Nick wrote: "Hi Marion. Strangely, I Let You Go is written from a number of different Points of View. It has first person from the main character and another leading protagonist, but parts are narrated in the t..."

You can't get it until May. This is the 2nd group I've been in that's picked this book.

You could order a used copy from a 3rd party. But, I think it's better to just try and make sure it is available on both sides of "the Pond".

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Chava wrote: "Hi all,
I hear that this book isn't published in the USA yet. The GR page says it was published in November 2014. Nick has done everything right in nominating this book..."

I don't think he's wrong. I just feel it's inadvisable.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Nick wrote: "You would have thought the main idea behind online books would be that they are available from anywhere, in audible or digital format. Crazy when they are just sending a file. Isn't it supposed to ..."

You would think. But publisher's have agreements. It's not technology, it's contracts.

message 19: by Suzy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) My recommendation is that we postpone this group read till May when the book will be available in the States and Canada.

message 20: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Icewineanne | 670 comments Mod
Suzy wrote: "My recommendation is that we postpone this group read till May when the book will be available in the States and Canada."

Terrific suggestion, I second the motion :-)

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Chava wrote: "Hi all,
I hear that this book isn't published in the USA yet. The GR page says it was published in November 2014. Nick has done everything right in nominating this book..."

Hi Chava, people are requesting this group read be put back to May when the book is available in the States. I have no problem with that, tbh. It may be a bit of a small discussion if we go ahead now. Suzy and Icewineanne both suggest this as a way forward and I am happy to comply.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 7 comments Okay, I've broken down and bought this used and should receive it between the 10th and the end of the month.

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Good work Kirsten, I hope you're not disappointed but I don't think you will be. Looks like the discussion continues as planned for this month then

message 24: by Chava (last edited Mar 03, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Chava | 2788 comments Nick wrote: "Chava wrote: "Hi all,
I hear that this book isn't published in the USA yet. The GR page says it was published in November 2014. Nick has done everything right in nomina..."

Sorry, we are just going with this as BOTM for March. We can't chop and change the dates of BOTMs. It is unfortunate, but remember that these threads don't go away. You can still comment in later months if you wish.
I suggest in future that you see if the book you want to vote for is available in your area before you vote for it.
Chava

message 25: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments OK, that's fine Chava. Anyone made a start yet? What are your first impressions? It's a strong opening chapter I think, sets the tone well and Clare does possess the ability to make you shudder. I confess I read the book in just over a week so I know it pretty well...

message 26: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 0 comments I'm starting the audiobook as soon as I finish the really long one I'm stuck on now. I tend not to like British thrillers but I hope this one doesn't disappoint me.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Farren wrote: "I'm starting the audiobook as soon as I finish the really long one I'm stuck on now. I tend not to like British thrillers but I hope this one doesn't disappoint me." OK hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Lorraine Saunders | 3 comments I've finished this book and I seriously enjoyed it. There were a couple of twists that took me by surprise which I loved. I can't wait for people to finish so I can discuss it with you all!

message 29: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Glad you enjoyed it Lorraine. Any particular word you would use to describe it: Chilling is maybe the one I would use

message 30: by Farren (new) - added it

Farren (mmmcookies) | 0 comments I made it through 15% today and have already decided to quit. I don't DNF a book often but I'd hate to rate it badly just because I'm not in the right type of mood to read it. I just made me sleepy while I drove and that's not good lol

message 31: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments Not for everyone I guess. I felt the same way listening to The Road and that's meant to be a modern classic. Some books dont always translate well to audio

Lorraine Saunders | 3 comments Nick wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Lorraine. Any particular word you would use to describe it: Chilling is maybe the one I would use"
Chilling is pretty spot on. I really enjoyed the trip inside Ian's mind. It was an awful trip, obviously, but it was so interesting to see this perspective. Normally when you're given that much access to a characters mind you wind up feeling quite emphatic. That most certainly did not happen in this case and I actually felt quite disgusted as I read it. It made me wonder though if that sort of perspective is more common than we realize, and that thought concerns me. I do like books and stories that make me question the real world once I've finished the book.

Can you believe that people actually live through the scenario between Ian and Jenna? That mindset and fear, dogged determination and desperation, the violence both physical and mental. For me, the case itself was completely out-shadowed by this relationship.

message 33: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments It starts as one story and turns into something completely different. My wife was put off by the start because we have a young daughter and it inevitably gets you thinking how terrible you would feel in that sort of hit-and-run scenario, but I've told her to persevere because all is not what it seems. Writing a book from several different characters' viewpoints is quite unusual, in my experience, but I think it works well. As you say, you can see the way Ian's warped mind works, in particular.

message 34: by Nina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nina (niisku80) | 13 comments I just finished this book and my verdict is that it was ok, I can’t say that I loved it but I can’t either say I hated it. The story was good but I lost interest somewhere in the middle and didn’t really care what was happening. Towards the end my interest picked up again. I don’t quite know how i feel about the ending. The main characters where interesting but I feel the story between the two police officers didn’t bring anything to the story, why describe their relationship so much. I would have liked the author to describe more Jenna and Patrik than Rays life in general. I liked the writing style, the different points of views where easy to follow you always knew who was talking. I didn’t find the story chilling in any way and I have to admit that I guessed the outcome for the most part after the first time Ian ” opens his mouth”.

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick Rippington (nick_rippington) | 6 comments I agree totally about the police officers. I think because Clare worked for the police she wanted to give an insight into how relationships can be effected when people work long hours, but I didn't buy into the attraction of the two officers to each other or Ray's personal story in general. The story was much stronger when focused on Jenna and Patrik. I also question whether things would have been so easy for Jenna after the truth came out. Surely she had a public duty to tell the truth earlier, and there could still be legal repercussions about the fact she didn't? I'm keen not to give away any spoilers so I will stop there, but perhaps when a few more people get involved we can discuss all aspects. Thanks for your comments, Nina