Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)
This topic is about Murder on the Orient Express
Archive - Group Reads > Murder on the Orient Express - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Chava | 2788 comments This is the thread for the discussion of Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Your moderator is Ron

Tala  Lolias (talalucy) Going to start reading this tomorrow! Hopefully it's good

Elizabeth So glad this won,it's actually one of my books I just got from books a million

Victoria (hooplahicktx) | 6 comments always loved this story, but I say that about most Agatha Christie.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments Never read this book - have to see if I have it. When do we hit the spoiler zone?

message 6: by Mary Ellen (new)

Mary Ellen Anaka (meaz7) | 63 comments Awesome! I love Agatha Christie!

message 7: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
I picked a copy of Murder on the Orient Express from the library today. I read a lot of Agatha Christie when I was a teen, however, I don't believe I ever read this one. I did enjoy the movie though, I'll get started reading this one today.

message 8: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 791 comments Id really like to join in on this one. Going to try and grab a copy. :)

Maureen (maureen1) Just got my copy on Kindle. Love Agatha Christie!

message 10: by Marion (new)

Marion Mlodynia | 573 comments I'm sorry I don't plan to read this one again. I read it many, many years ago. Great book.

message 11: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 650 comments Mod
Terrific book :-) Enjoy!

message 12: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (lemonsky) This is probably my favorite Agatha Christie and one of my favorite mysteries. The movie with Albert Finney is wonderful, too. I just read this recently, but I don't mind reading it again.

Victoria (hooplahicktx) | 6 comments I own it as part of my Christie collection.
Had to watch the film in college for a Mystery English course.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 1913 comments I listened to the excellent BBC recording of this last year, and then watched the movie earlier this year (1974 version I think it was) which was also excellent. A true classic.

Elizabeth It's 1:33 am where I live , couldn't sleep so I just started my book, and I'm enjoying it,this will be the second book her's I've read.my copy is like this Murder on the Orient Express (A Hercule Poirot Mystery) by Agatha Christie

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Yay, I'd love to read this one. It winning slipped by me.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I listened to the excellent BBC recording of this last year, and then watched the movie earlier this year (1974 version I think it was) which was also excellent. A true classic."

I watched the December version from BBC of And then there were none and they did such an amazing job that it is now one of my favorite movies.

I have stayed away from the movies of this since I havent' read it. Sounds like a good movie to watch afterward.

Elizabeth Can I just say that I'm loving Hercule Poirot even though I think his a little rude, but for some reason I still love him, On that note I really need to get back into watch these movies,it's been awhile.

message 19: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
I'm half way through it, I forgot how much I enjoy Agatha Christie. Next time I go to the library I'm going to borrow the movie.

Summer (paradisecity) | 37 comments I've tried to read an Agatha Christie once before and gave up pretty early in. I'll give this one a try and see if I can stick it out!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Elizabeth wrote: "Can I just say that I'm loving Hercule Poirot even though I think his a little rude, but for some reason I still love him, On that note I really need to get back into watch these movies,it's been a..."

He's my favorite detective. There's just something about him...

Elizabeth I agree with you there's just something about him that makes you like him no matter what, I read somewhere that in the 1930s, Christie wrote in her diary that she was finding Poirot "insufferable", and by the 1960s she felt that he was "an egocentric creep".

message 23: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 170 comments That's funny! She created an imaginary monster. Poirot's fans loved him and always will.

Victoria (hooplahicktx) | 6 comments Tommy & Tuppence are my preferred Agatha mystery solvers. Poirot is a fussy little man.

message 25: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 170 comments I haven't read Tommy Tuppence. It's time I did.

Elizabeth I'm almost done with it, loving it, so glad that I picked it up to read, must get the rest of the series.

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 26 comments Ah Tommy and Tuppence - I had forgotten about them. I too like them. Only read one of there stories though.

Victoria (hooplahicktx) | 6 comments The pbs/BBC vintage series is lovely.

message 29: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Tommy & Tuppence are my favorites - especially when I imagine Francesca Annis and James Warwicks.

Looking forward to re-reading this one.

Elizabeth I just finished it and loved it, it kept me entertained and guessing though out the book. So glad it was our book of the month to read.

message 31: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
I just finished it this afternoon. I saw the movie previously so I knew how it ended and it spite of that I thoroughly enjoyed the read. I'm not going to give anything away, so I'll rejoin the discussion one more people have a chance to get further along or finish it. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Suzanne | 29 comments This was on sale on Audible today - I was glad to see it and I'm planning on listening as soon as I'm done with my current book. I still totally remember the ending from many years ago when I read it. It made a huge impression on me.

message 33: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (lemonsky) I already have a facsimile of the original book (a small hardback with a lovely vintage cover), but also bought the audiobook on Audible. I've heard good things about the audio version, so I thought I would try it for a change.

message 34: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3734 comments Well, being moderator of this discussion, it's probably time I chimed in with my $0.02.

I'm doing a personal project to read as many of Agatha ChristieHercule Poirot books as I can. I finished Murder on the Orient Express actually a couple weeks ago. So far, I believe I've read 13 of the books. Which, since Goodreads puts the list at 42, I'm almost 1/3 the way done.

And, so far, Murder on the Orient Express is the best of the lot. All are good, but, to me, here Dame Christie raised her game to a different level. I don't like to give reviews, as such, as personally, I hate spoilers. And, I really don't know how to review a book without spoiling it for someone else. However, I will say this. M. Poirot has once again done it. He still continues to amaze me. I'm so glad he's allowed Agatha Christie to write his stories.

Many have referenced the movie. I've not seen the 1974 version with Alber Finney, but, I would highly recommend the PBS version of it with David Suchet as Poirot. I've watched so many of his movies, that I now picture him when I read the books. And, this one, as is the book, the best of the lot. But, I will try to look into the Finney version of it, too. So, a trade. I'll watch the Finney version, which I've not seen, if you'll watch the Suchet version if you've not seen it! OK? Deal?

message 35: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3734 comments Chava wrote: "This is the thread for the discussion of Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. Your moderator is Ron"

Sorry about that, Chava. I was on vacation when the notice came out and evidently I missed it. But, I'm on board now. Thanks.

message 36: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3734 comments Victoria wrote: "The pbs/BBC vintage series is lovely."

Have to agree with you, there, Victoria. My wife and I have watched all the ones that our library has on the shelves. Don't know if they have them all, but, they have a bunch.

The whole series is great, but, to me, Murder on the Orient Express is the best of the bunch.

message 37: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3734 comments Esse wrote: "I've tried to read an Agatha Christie once before and gave up pretty early in. I'll give this one a try and see if I can stick it out!"

Well, it's not an action series, if that's the problem. Many people pick up a mystery and expect action. But, to Poirot, the most important action, is to sit and think! He solves problems with his mind, not his body.

Victoria (hooplahicktx) | 6 comments Ron wrote: "Esse wrote: "I've tried to read an Agatha Christie once before and gave up pretty early in. I'll give this one a try and see if I can stick it out!"

Well, it's not an action series, if that's the ..."

Over a pot of chocolat, Belgian of course.

message 39: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron (ronb626) | 3734 comments Victoria wrote: "Ron wrote: "Esse wrote: "I've tried to read an Agatha Christie once before and gave up pretty early in. I'll give this one a try and see if I can stick it out!"

Well, it's not an action series, if..."

Good point, Victoria!

message 40: by Huma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Huma | 51 comments Loved this one, but then Poirot is my all-time favorite detective character after Holmes.
I haven't watched any of the adaptations but I played a bit of the computer game for this title. I liked the game, but didn't finish it as I didn't have much time to do that at the time due to my studies.
I own this book as a part of a omnibus collection called "Poirot: The Perfect Murders". Christie fans can probably guess that The Murder of Roger Ackroyd also makes the list on this omnibus.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I'm so late but finally was able to start this one tonight. Sadly, have to go to bed. I'm 45 pages in. Don't think it will be a long read. I love Poirot and the touches of humor that Agatha threw his way - like trying to keep his moustache out of his soup, the one he was interviewing thinking his name was a woman's dressmaker LOL

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Huma wrote: "Loved this one, but then Poirot is my all-time favorite detective character after Holmes.
I haven't watched any of the adaptations but I played a bit of the computer game for this title. I liked t..."

That omnibus sounds great.

I'm reading in a collection I have "Five Complete novels". It has this one, Thirteen at dinner, The ABC Murders, Cards on the Table and Death on the Nile.

I looked all over but I can't find a boxset of all the Hercule Poirot novels. That would be a neat boxset to have. They did make it for DVDS :(

message 43: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (lemonsky) I still have three omnibus editions of Agatha Christie (Poirot, Marple, and "Mixed") from the early 80s. I've owned them since they were new. The Poirot one has "Murder on the Orient Express" in it. In fact, it may have been the first Christie I ever read.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Finally finished last night - late start and late finish. Really enjoyed it. I wouldn't have guessed the ending. Rated 4 stars overall - would have been five but I like a little more twists in the story in the middle, and it was mainly with interviews on the train. Excellent mystery though.

I do want to see the movie - which is a good version? Are there different ones? I know there is the Poirot episodes on Netflix

message 45: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
Erin... yes there are multiple versions available. We just watched the 1974 edition including Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Sean Connery, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa Redgrave, and Michael York among others. I highly recommend it!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Gem wrote: "Erin... yes there are multiple versions available. We just watched the 1974 edition including Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Jacqueline Bisset, Sean Connery, Anthony Perkins, Vanessa..."

Wow, what a cast ensemble O_O I'll definitely have to check that one out.

Betsy | 8997 comments That movie is good. The David Suchet series version is also good, and you see a side of Poirot that you don't usually see in the films.

message 48: by Huma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Huma | 51 comments Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder* wrote: "Huma wrote: "Loved this one, but then Poirot is my all-time favorite detective character after Holmes.
I haven't watched any of the adaptations but I played a bit of the computer game for this tit..."

Here is a link to the Omnibus series I was referring too:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/8197...

I'm not sure, but it's possible the series covers all Poirot stories.

The ABC Murders was one of my earlier Poirot novels. I read it when I was about 12 and totally loved it. Also loved Cards on the Table and liked its TV adaptation in BBC's Poirot series.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Interesting Huma, thank you. Looks like several collections and some singles.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Betsy wrote: "That movie is good. The David Suchet series version is also good, and you see a side of Poirot that you don't usually see in the films."

I'm not sure which to try - may watch with my mother since she enjoys mysteries. The other movie seemed promising because of some of the well known actors.

« previous 1