Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology Troublemaker discussion

#15 - A book written by a celebrity

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I just finished Troublemaker, by Leah Remini
It's about her life, and about her decision to leave Scientology
I read it more because of the Scientology angle, I'm not a fan - didn't ever watch the shows she's been on.
It's pretty good, but if you've never read a book about Scientology, a lot of it won't make sense!

message 2: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I have read this book, and also binge watched her show lol. I love how raw both the tv show and book are, and like that fact that she is writing about her experience personally, and not from somebody else. Its sad that groups like these, ( Scientology, Jim Jones, etc) prey on people who are lost and in their most vulnerable moments in life to add to their quota. Not saying that they are the only ones that do, but they make it well known. To realize that something isnt right as an adult is pretty profound.

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan I did watch a few episodes of the show - I keep missing it, hopefully it'll be on Netflix or in reruns soon. I agree, it's terribly sad that these groups get away with this stuff and terribly sad for the people who finally get away and have to leave their families and friends behind

Sonja Susan wrote: "I did watch a few episodes of the show - I keep missing it, hopefully it'll be on Netflix or in reruns soon. I agree, it's terribly sad that these groups get away with this stuff and terribly sad f..."

if you live in the US you can watch the show on A&Es website,if not the episodes are available on dailymotion :)
Im fascinated by all things "cults" and Ive always loved Leah,she has a very genuine but in your face attitude -She isnt afraid to tell it like it is. I loved the book,i would have loved it to be split up in two books though. She has to put over 30 years into that book so I dont think she had enough time to go into everything.

message 5: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Topsy wrote: "Susan wrote: "I did watch a few episodes of the show - I keep missing it, hopefully it'll be on Netflix or in reruns soon. I agree, it's terribly sad that these groups get away with this stuff and ..."

Thank you, I will look for it! I'm fascinated by cults, too. I agree, this was a lot of information for one book, but I think she might have felt like she had to get it out all at once!

Sonja Yes,I can understand her wanting to get it all "over with" at one go! If you did read this for the scientology part of the book then I would recommend " The unbreakable Miss Lovely" by Tony Ortega,if you havent read it :) Its about what they did to Paulette Cooper,one of the first journalists to write something negative about scientology- its insane!

message 7: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Sonja wrote: "Yes,I can understand her wanting to get it all "over with" at one go! If you did read this for the scientology part of the book then I would recommend " The unbreakable Miss Lovely" by Tony Ortega,..."
That's on my tbr list!
I read it for both the Scientology part and because I like Leah, I honestly didn't know she was a Scientologist till the hooplah about the book.