Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Sense and Sensibility
This topic is about Sense and Sensibility
Sense and Sensibility > Discussion 2: Chapters 23-36

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1209 comments Mod
We will discuss the middle of Sense and Sensibility in this thread.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments Just finished Chapter 30.

Marianne reminds me of myself as a teenager.

Karlyne Landrum Carol ♪ Blinded by the Light ♪ GR Background wrote: "Just finished Chapter 30.

Marianne reminds me of myself as a teenager."

I'd like to say that Elinor reminds me of myself, but then I just laugh and laugh.....

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was more like Elinor though I had inward romantic daydreams. What does everyone think about Elinor and Lucy's relationships. Does it seem possible for Elinor to hide her true feelings from Lucy? What do you think of Lucy?

message 5: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carol ♪ Blinded by the Light ♪ GR Background wrote: "Just finished Chapter 30.

Marianne reminds me of myself as a teenager."

We have to remember that Marianne is a young teenager and she certainly acts like a spoiled one. Did you feel any sympathy for her when she received Willoughby's letter? It was a rude letter. Marianne had been rude to most people around her, so do you feel sorry for her or do you think she got what she deserved?

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments ☯Emily wrote: "
We have to remember that Marianne is a young teenager and she certainly..."

I'm now part way through Chapter 34.

I did feel sorry for her & I believe Willoughby's attentions were far from honourable towards her. Obviously his need to secure Miss Grey & her estate was top priority rather than seducing Marianne. He is despicable as Marianne is a child.

Sensibility in Marianne's case seems to mean emotional to the point of hysteria.

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Mar 20, 2016 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 368 comments Now finished Chapter 36

This line interested me;

"and at what warehouse Miss Grey's clothes might be seen."

This seems to indicate it was traditional for the wealthy to display their wedding clothes but I can't find any information online.