Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > Sins of the Fathers - Archer 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments The Sins of the Father - Jeffrey Archer
audio performance by Alex Jennings and Emilia Fox

4 stars

The soap opera continues. Book two of Archer’s Clifton Chronicles takes Harry Clifton, his family, friends, and enemies through the second world war. Out of the frying pan into the fire. Drastic times call for drastic measures. If it’s not one thing it’s another. Every cloud has a silver lining. Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Yep. It’s predictable, emotionally manipulative, and as literary as a tired cliche. I admit that I was completely sucked into the story. I enjoyed every minute even when the obvious plot devices annoyed me. There’s plenty of action behind the lines and on the homefront. The good guys are easy to like. The bad guys are easy to hate. This book was entertaining without requiring a great deal of my attention. It was a perfect audiobook for long hours of driving.

But enough is enough. The war is over. The important good guys survived to continue the saga. But I think I’ll leave it for a while.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments Jgrace wrote: "It was a perfect audiobook for long hours of driving. "

Glad you were entertained on your drive! I do not like long distance driving. During baseball season I'm okay because I'll listen to the Yankees game, but any other time, I can do an hour of music, and then honestly I just want to take a nap. I do like call in advice shows, but they aren't always on when I want to listen. Somehow I find it hard to concentrate on audio books, but maybe if I picked one like this, it would be easier for me.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments Lightweight, predictable books help me pass the time. I can't attend to anything complex and drive safely. Right now I'm gobbling up audiobooks with my hours on the freeway. I live at one end of Los Angeles county while my mother lives at the other. She is needing an ever increasing amount of help and supervision. I'm spending far more time in my car than I ever did when I worked 15 minutes from my house.

If you like talk radio, you might want to try an audiobook that's more like a radio drama. There are a lot of talented voice artists who perform books in a way that adds much to the author's work.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments J Grace: Your writing of radio drama reminded me of something I had forgotten since I've been downloading audios as mp3 for years, but I used to go to the library before trips and load up on old radio dramas on CDs. They were complete with the original commercial breaks, which were usually extolling cigarettes, so you know these were old dramas

Anita: If you can obtain them, these would probably be perfect for you. Like you, my mind wanders during audio books, but I loved the radio dramas. They were much shorter than audio books so that may have been one reason I stayed absorbed in them. But I think their main appeal to me was that they were a performance of a play script, complete with sound effects, not a book being read. Fortunately I listened as a passenger, not driver, because I enjoyed closing my eyes so I could visualize the performance and "watch" the play as I listened.