Authors-Readers Connect discussion

Favorite Books > What's Your Favorite Book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David (new)

David Kummer | 622 comments Mod
Tell us about your favorite book/genre/author/anything. Like, if you're in love with David Kummer, let us know so we can mark you as weird.
(That's the last of my self-promoting jokes I apologize. Off I go into the spam folder).

message 2: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments At the moment I'm reading American Gods, nearly finished with it, and it's definitely in my top ten of all time. Gaiman really can write! A breath of fresh air! And a very intense, deeply personal perspective on the human condition.

message 3: by David (new)

I know I've read something of his...Hmmm...what was it. Well dang I can't remember.

I may be checking that book out soon ;)

If you're interested in seeing one of the better, new horror authors, I'd check out Mark Edwards. Or if you're looking for a less-known but fantastic one, I'd say Ike Hamill.

message 4: by Groovy (last edited Mar 31, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 1013 comments Mod
Okay, I don't want to get flak for this, but so far, nothing has topped--here goes--Dr. Seuss! There, I said it!

His work is so calming to my nerves when I read them. And I think he is one of the most brilliant children's authors there was. And this coming from a writer of suspense.

Buuut, as soon as I get a break from the novels I'm writing, I'm going to branch out and discover old and new authors.

message 5: by David (new)

Yes! I'd vote for that. Just waiting for somebody to say this.

message 6: by Kolt (new)

Kolt Winters | 6 comments @Gaines - I've been meaning to read American Gods forever, it looks really good!

My favorite book is probably a tie between Wuthering Heights and Poppy Z. Brite's - Lost Souls

I've loved Wuthering Heights since I was 13. I'm not entirely sure why I love it so much, I simply do.

Lost Souls though is basically this dark and beautiful tragedy that rips your heart out, nibbles on it and hands it back with just enough hope to make it all bearable.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments Ulysses. That's the one for me.

I just started a Poppy Z Brite book (Exquisite Corpse) cause somebody elsewhere mentioned it... the name just keeps poppy-ing up recently.

message 8: by Kolt (new)

Kolt Winters | 6 comments @Phil - "Poppy-ing up..." Haha. I thought Exquisite Corpse was a good book as well.

message 9: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments Groovy wrote: "Okay, I don't want to get flak for this, but so far, nothing has topped--here goes--Dr. Seuss! There, I said it!"

Absolutely nothing wrong with Dr. Seuss :-)

I also love Shel Silverstein. Artistic and educational genius.

message 10: by Groovy (new)

I have his books, too.

message 11: by Phil (new)

Phil Nemethy | 35 comments Gaines wrote:

There's one thing wrong with Dr. Seuss, lol...apparently a lot of deaf kids don't like him because without the concept of rhyming (sounds), it's mostly gibberish.

message 12: by David (new)

That does make sense. And I never thought that deaf kids won't always understand the concept of rhyming... hmm. Learn something new every day (sometimes).

message 13: by Groovy (new)

Agree!

message 14: by Gaines (new)

Gaines Post (gainespost) | 86 comments Phil wrote: "Gaines wrote:

There's one thing wrong with Dr. Seuss, lol...apparently a lot of deaf kids don't like him because without the concept of rhyming (soun..."

Good point.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments I have two main favorites, The Endlands by Vincent Hobbes and Vlad: The Last Confession.

I love The Endlands because each story was eerie and creepy in its own right and exceptionally written. It's a book of short stories by different authors with Vincent Hobbes having the most with 4 or 5 I believe. If your a fan of The Twilight Zone like I am then you'll appreciate these stories as they give off a TZ kind of vibe to them.

Vlad: The Last Confession is a book about Vlad Tepes aka Vlad the Impaler, the real Dracula. The book is a Historical Fiction and is quite gritty and intense at times. I found myself glues to each page and being a fan of Dracula I was of course drawn in. Definitely worth a read if you want to know about Vlad.

message 16: by Groovy (new)

I'm a big fan of the TZ. Is the Endlands stories very dark, though?

message 17: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 177 comments Groovy wrote: "I'm a big fan of the TZ. Is the Endlands stories very dark, though?"

Not really. They're like TZ, very subtle and suspenseful but not very dark.

Alex ~They/them~ ~Annabeth Chase and Alex Fierro are the best~ (percybluefood) | 12 comments I'm a huge fan of Percy Jackson and Harry Potter series, like I'm literally like obsessed with them, I'm obsessed with some other series/books too, but Percy Jackson and Harry Potter are like my Top 2 fav series

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Tigers curse series by Colleen houck

message 20: by David (new)

I've never heard of the Tigers Curse books. Very interesting.

message 21: by Jordon (last edited Mar 17, 2017 05:47AM) (new)

Jordon Greene (jordongreene) I don't have a favorite book. I've a list of favorites rather. I think that's common though, maybe. In thrillers, so far little has topped my love of Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park and The Lost World (which while both movies are great, neither is anything like the book unfortunately), but I do love James Rollins' Sigma Force series, they're great. In Young Adult books (which are great) I've only read a few authors at this point, but I swear anything Marie Lu writes has to be great, Her Legend trilogy was great and her The Young Elites trilogy was amazing!

message 22: by Groovy (new)

I don't have A favorite book, but I have read books that were a pleasure to read (one of the authors is on this forum. He knows who he is:) I wish I could have a list of favorite authors, but that died years ago when the old Harlequin Romance authors died.

My favorite genres are romance, suspense, and a mixture of both. I just can't find a favorite author in that area. I'm looking though.

message 23: by David (new)

I'm not sure I have a favorite author/series either, but there are a few that go in cycles. Either I'm really into Harry Potter, the Inheritance Series, Lord of the Rings, or Narnia. I spent a couple of months on each, then go to the next one. Round and around we go.

message 24: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments I have a lot of favorite books, but the one that always comes to mind first is "My sisters keeper". I am my sisters keeper but I also loved that this wasn't anything like my story.

message 25: by David (new)

I've heard the movie was pretty good. Never read the book though.

message 26: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments its the one book that is absolutely nothing like the movie. (that I have read)

message 27: by Jordon (new)

Jordon Greene (jordongreene) Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park & The Lost World are like that, the primarily resemblance between the movies and the books are that there are dinosaurs, they are on the same island and some of the characters are the same. Other than that the plot deviates a good deal in Jurassic Park and almost entirely in The Lost World.

I love both the books an the movies of them though, and it's sort of funny how they took some of the elements missing from Jurassic Park and included them in the new (and awesome) Jurassic World movie.

message 28: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell My favourite book has to be The Wishing Game by Patrick Redmond. A psychological thriller on par with the best of them. The mood is claustrophobic, the characters are believable, and the plot has twists that you don't see coming.

Fabulous from start to amazing finish :)

message 29: by Groovy (last edited Mar 29, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

I heard that Jurassic Park and Lost World were nothing like the books. The movies were so good, that I wonder how the books could have been any better.

I didn't like Jurassic World, though. And if there is a book about it, cause I don't know if Crichton was able to write a third one before his death, then it has to be a lot better than the lame movie.

BTW, has anyone seen the new KING KONG movie yet?

message 30: by Groovy (new)

Eldon, I like thrillers, but not when they're really really dark, and the "F" bomb is flying everywhere. Does this describe The Wishing Game? I might want to read it.

message 31: by Eldon (new)

Eldon Farrell Groovy wrote: "Eldon, I like thrillers, but not when they're really really dark, and the "F" bomb is flying everywhere. Does this describe The Wishing Game? I might want to read it."

You know I don't remember a single "F" bomb in it. Might be a few but certainly not noticeable. It's set in a boarding school and hints at the paranormal but I wouldn't describe it as really dark.

Give it a try you won't be disappointed :)

message 32: by Groovy (new)

Thanks!

message 33: by Jordon (new)

Jordon Greene (jordongreene) Groovy wrote: "I heard that Jurassic Park and Lost World were nothing like the books. The movies were so good, that I wonder how the books could have been any better.

I didn't like Jurassic World, though. And if..."

Nope, there isn't a book for Jurassic World. Crichton didn't even write a book for Jurassic Park III (which is my least favorite of the four).

I agree, the movies are amazing, especially the first! But, the books are 10x as good, as hard as it is to believe, they truly are.

message 34: by Groovy (last edited Mar 29, 2017 08:09PM) (new)

Wow. Another book to add to my reading list. Thank-you:)

message 35: by David (new)

People come to this thread and their list increases 100%

message 36: by Jordon (new)

Jordon Greene (jordongreene) Haha!

message 37: by Aly (new)

Aly | 22 comments wow too many books to name......I love so many just like I love so many movies.....I think I have a book and movie problem :)

message 38: by David (new)

Lol nah I think it's a fairly common disorder.

message 39: by Groovy (new)

I have that good disorder:)

message 40: by Aly (new)

Aly | 22 comments I really enjoyed Searching for Faith. I just finished it and I think I will check out the next book when it comes out. I like when psychics "use their powers for good". lol

message 41: by David (new)

Psychics using their power for good? That's not too common lol. I can't hear the word "psychic" without thinking of the USA show Psych

message 42: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments I love the show Psych!!!!

message 43: by David (new)

Same here! It's really great to find other people who do lol!

message 44: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments I didn't learn of it until right after high school and it was in like the 5th season, so I binge watched it. haha

message 45: by David (new)

Lol I watched it from the beginning. So sad to see it go

message 46: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments I do miss the show and hope to watch it when it is on tv, but I have been getting all these other shows from the library and watch them while I am doing homework.

message 47: by Groovy (last edited Apr 12, 2017 07:45PM) (new)

Psych--is that the show with the two silly guys and one's pretending he's a psychic? That's my favorite show, too. They do a marathon of it every weekend. You know a show is good when you laugh with every episode.

And since this is the book section, I would like to add that I can't wait to get my hands on "The Most Beautiful--My Life With Prince" by Mayte. Not because I plan to add it to my collection, but to see how she spins the hype of a so-called love union. Give me a break!

Okay, I'm about to vent: For one thing, their son was named Gregory Nelson, now it's suddenly Amiir, which is Prince in Arabic. This is the first time I've ever heard that. Then she says that Prince would love the book if he could read it. So why did she wait until now to write it when she had years to do it; and to release it on the anniversary of his death? Everyone knows Prince made her sign an agreement to not say anything about their life together, so I don't think he would have liked it at all. That's just the beginning.

Okay, venting over... She's not going to like my review:)

message 48: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 36 comments I just got done with "The Thirteenth Tale" and I was confused most of the book. I loved it but I was not able to follow it.

message 49: by David (new)

That sounds like quite the dramatic release!

message 50: by Iana (new)

Iana J | 1 comments I'm actually reading Another day and i literally cried a lot

David wrote: "Tell us about your favorite book/genre/author/anything. Like, if you're in love with David Kummer, let us know so we can mark you as weird.
(That's the last of my self-promoting jokes I apologize. ..."

« previous 1