Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Yellowstone Four
This topic is about Yellowstone Four
Science Fiction > Yellowstone is dead

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments At last, we can sleep nights
Experts have declared that Yellowstone will not erupt, explaining that the park volcano is more or less dead. On the other hand they still seem confused about how long it will stay dead. Also, they point out that the periodic rise and fall of the caldera means the volcano is breathing. I ask you, if it's still breathing, how can it be dead? Not to mention, we have recently been expertly informed that the amount of magma sloshing about under the park is twice what was previously thought. The destructive potential is now calibrated at 2000 times that of Mount Saint Helens. So, I for one am conflicted. If the thing still has a "destructive potential" - their term, not mine - how can it be considered deceased?
My thanks to Humberto for pointing out this latest bulletin from the experts. You can find the full article at:
http://phys.org/news/2014-04-yellowst...

• flag
0 comments

message 2: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments It's probably like in those alien movies how they hide everything from the public so they won't panic. You're all gonna die, but don't panic, please.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken Doggett (kendoggett) And that reminds me of a clip I saw from a 1950s "sci-fi" movie about mutations caused by A-Bomb testing. An announcer was saying over a PA system,"Do not panic! Do not panic!" But with giant grasshoppers and spiders chasing people everywhere, when DO you panic?

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments R.A. wrote: "It's probably like in those alien movies how they hide everything from the public so they won't panic. You're all gonna die, but don't panic, please."

Sometimes, you have to wonder. Noteworthy that this piece came out shortly after You Tube video showing bison making haste for park entrance following uncommonly big earthquake (4.8).

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Ken wrote: "And that reminds me of a clip I saw from a 1950s "sci-fi" movie about mutations caused by A-Bomb testing. An announcer was saying over a PA system,"Do not panic! Do not panic!" But with giant gra..."

I suppose, when everybody is running faster than you are. Interestingly, Yellowstone is #22 on FEMAs top ten list of US disasters waiting to happen, i.e. at the very bottom. Only FEMA could come up with a top ten list with 22 entries. Given that it's their lowest priority, we really do have cause to worry.

message 6: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Ken wrote: "Ken wrote: "And that reminds me of a clip I saw from a 1950s "sci-fi" movie about mutations caused by A-Bomb testing. An announcer was saying over a PA system,"Do not panic! Do not panic!" But wi..."

Oh, I'm laughing my head off. Had to share this all with my husband. We agree that if FEMA isn't worried, we all should be. Aren't they the ones who suggested duct tape and plastic in case of nuclear attacks a few years back? Or am I mixing things up? I lived in Moscow at the time, so I wasn't keeping up with U.S. reality. (Not that I do now, either.)

message 7: by Shaun (new)

Shaun Horton | 248 comments The discovery channel did an hour-long movie about Yellowstone blowing called (appropriately) Supervolcano. I definitely recommend looking it up, although just so you know, it's a science-backed movie, not a documentary.

I think we've got quite a while before it blows again. With the geysers and everything letting the hot spot blow off steam, it shouldn't build up too much. It's when the north american tectonic plate moves over the hot spot enough to cut off those safety valves that the pressure will likely build up enough to blow a new hole through the crust. So, when Old Faithful stops being regular is when we really need to start being worried. But that's just my opinion with what little I know from my college geology classes. :-P

message 8: by Randolph (new)

Randolph (us227381) The asteroid is gonna get us first. Forget about Yellowstone, it's so yesterday.

message 9: by Humberto (new)

Humberto Contreras | 66 comments Timing is everything. If it happens in 5 years. Then we should 'panic."

If it's 5000. Then forget it.

This is a geological event.

message 10: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Randolph wrote: "The asteroid is gonna get us first. Forget about Yellowstone, it's so yesterday."

That's it - the idea for my next book. A killer asteroid crashes into Yellowstone, thus igniting a mega eruption and thereby making Yellowstone instantly popular again with NatGeo.

message 11: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments Or maybe the we're all warned to flee an eruption from Yellowstone and so the U.S. evacuates to south America only to be squashed by that asteroid. Your readers will never see it coming.

message 12: by Earl (new)

Earl McGill (jetageman) | 5 comments What's killing Yellowstone is the Lake Trout--oops, make that the Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. BTW, unless Slough Creek is heaven I don't want to go there (heaven, that is).
I plan to have my fly rod cremated along with the rest of me (just In case).

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Earl wrote: "What's killing Yellowstone is the Lake Trout--oops, make that the Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. BTW, unless Slough Creek is heaven I don't want to go there (heaven, that is).
I plan to have my fly ..."

Very wise, but what if one day you make a cast and when you reel in the cutthroat trout it's already poached?

message 14: by Earl (new)

Earl McGill (jetageman) | 5 comments I'll probably be arrested for poaching (it's all catch & release up that way).

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken Kilner | 18 comments Earl wrote: "I'll probably be arrested for poaching (it's all catch & release up that way)."

Good answer