Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Looking for tropical/beach setting

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I need some good horror books to read by the beach/pool for some summer vacations. I'm looking for something with a tropical/beachy feel. So far I've heard of Island by Richard Laymon and The Resort by Bentley Little.

To compare what I'm looking for to a movie.. I'm thinking of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (with the whole beach resort feel.)

Help, please? :)

message 2: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Romines Red Rain by R.L. Stine

Red Rain is an adult horror novel by Goosebumps creator RL Stine. The protagonist survives a devastating hurricane on an island off the South Carolina coast with far-reaching consequences. I liked it.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Awesome I'll check it out- thanks :)

message 4: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Monstrosity by Edward Lee & Castaway by Brian Keene are both Horror set on Tropical islands. As long as you do not mind gory, comic book style violence they are good choices.

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I actually read Castaway last summer :) but I will check out the other one. Thanks.

message 7: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Great, adding them to the list. Thank you!

message 8: by Tressa (last edited Feb 29, 2016 05:08AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments OK. Not a horror or slasher book, but this dark fiction novel is certainly set at the beach: The Beach. A friend recommended it to me years ago and I'm so glad he did. It's a Lord of the Flies-type page turner.

message 9: by Bicho (new)

Bicho | 175 comments The Ruins
"Two young couples are on a lazy Mexican vacation–sun-drenched days, drunken nights, making friends with fellow tourists. When the brother of one of those friends disappears, they decide to venture into the jungle to look for him..."
Really dark and creepy book. i just couldn't put it down.

message 10: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The Ruins is one of my favorite horror books ever.

message 11: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) I have The Ruins to read here soon.. but yes I totally forgot about The Beach! It's been on my to read list for a long time. Thanks!

message 12: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Oh I loved the beach, great read

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's not as well-known and appreciated as it deserves.

message 14: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments There is another thriller called Savages by Shirley Conran. Set on a island also. Not read it but last year while i was reading books set on tropical islands, i found this book. Its on my TBR list.

message 15: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I've known about Savages for decades but have never read it. I just put it on my list. I love the occasional trashy page turner.

message 16: by Cuniculus (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:55AM) (new)

Cuniculus Potterton The initial query is "tropical" OR "beach", isn't it?

A nice shorter read for the "beach" category ( without "tropical") :Leviathan by Tim Curran.

message 17: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Tressa you can get the book Savages on the kindle ^_^

message 18: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments The Clickers series is also a beach setting for a B monster movie style horror.

message 19: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton Mehmet wrote: "The Clickers series is also a beach setting for a B monster movie style horror."

And part three, Dagon Rising, is even tropical.

message 20: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Hmmm I watched a film called Savages last night I wonder if it's the same as the mentioned book

message 21: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Wow forgot that Ekel, you are right my friend. All the three books in the Clickers series cover the settings tropical or beach in various ways. Makes me want to read something exotic myself ^_^

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Clickers is a great series! Lots of fun and lots of chills.

I just remembered this hell of a fun read: Natural Selection.

message 23: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments What was the story line about Rhian ?
Savages the book was about a group of wives of rich business men becoming strandered on a island.

message 24: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I agree Tressa, Clickers was lots of fun.

message 25: by Mochaspresso (new)

Mochaspresso  | 18 comments How about On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves

It's not a horror title, but it does involve a struggle for survival on a deserted island. The book is marketed as a romance, but the romance is actually a secondary sub-plot. The main story is about their struggle to survive for nearly two years after their plane crashes.

message 26: by Cuniculus (new)

Cuniculus Potterton Mochaspresso wrote: "How about On the Island (On the Island, #1) by Tracey Garvis-Graves

It's not a horror title, but it does involve a struggle for survival on a deserted island. The book is marketed as a romance, but the romance is actual..."

Hm... struggle for survival? One could mention Stephen King's short story Survivor Type here.

message 27: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Mochaspresso i read that book last year !

message 28: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Mehmet that's not the same story I'm going to look it up now and if I do find the same book I shall return to let you know

message 29: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments Mehmet it's savages by Don Winslow the film was pretty good

message 30: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments savages by Shirley conran looks good though

message 31: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Just checked Savages on the IMBd does sound good also Rhian.

message 32: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 34 comments I had a feeling it was based on a book it must have been mentioned before the film and I meant to look it up last night so couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this post

message 33: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Thanks for so many titles! I'm adding them all to my library requests.

I read On The Island last summer, too.. and while it's not my usual genre at ALL I ended up loving it!

Thanks everyone!

message 34: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Anthony | 33 comments Be sure to read Duma Keyif you're looking for a well-written (but disturbing) beach read. Not my favorite Stephen King book, but it will peg your creep-meter.

message 35: by Randi (new)

Randi | 6 comments If you haven't already read this, one of the best and scariest Summer beach location reads is Jaws by Peter Benchley

message 36: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Speaking of Benchley, his The Girl of the Sea of Cortez is a beautiful book. I read it back in the '80s and still remember how much I enjoyed it.

Here's a scary one set at the beach: The Elementals.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments There's also other water-related horror by Benchley, but the only Island theme or near to water theme I can remember is Blood Island. It was an older, vintage type and involved voodoo and such on the island, interesting.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) | 876 comments Tressa wrote: "Speaking of Benchley, his The Girl of the Sea of Cortez is a beautiful book. I read it back in the '80s and still remember how much I enjoyed it.

Here's a scary one set at the beach..."

I forgot about The Elementals, good recommendation too.

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I totally forgot about Elementals too; don't even know what made me think of it. Couldn't have been all that sand...lol.

message 40: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3604 comments Mod
Tressa wrote: "I totally forgot about Elementals too; don't even know what made me think of it. Couldn't have been all that sand...lol."

I loved that story so much! I also bought Savages two days ago after reading this thread :)

message 41: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's a classic, Kasia! I found several on this thread that I would like to read soon.

message 42: by Kelsey (last edited Mar 30, 2016 04:51AM) (new)

Kelsey (thebestthereis07) Haven't been on in a while. Thanks for some more recs. (P.S. I love Benchley so I've read everything of his already ;) )

My library doesn't have The Elementals :(

Hopefully they have the rest.

message 43: by Blight (last edited Mar 31, 2016 02:07AM) (new)

Blight (wolfcreed) How about...

Beach Party (Point Horror, #8) by R.L. Stine The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells Island by Richard Laymon Seashores and Shadows (Takeaways) by Colin Thiele Castaways by Brian Keene Lord of the Flies by William Golding Gator Bait by Adam Howe

message 44: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments Anything by Carl Hiaasen or Tim Dorsey.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments yesss can't wait to read through this thread. i'm going on vacation in a few weeks and im thinking about trying to get a tropical horror book lol.

message 47: by Heather (last edited Nov 02, 2016 02:36PM) (new)

Heather (cheshireeyes) | 32 comments Love this one for a island vibe ;-) Off Season

message 48: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments BUMPING this post up! thanks guys! going on another island vaca soon and almost forgot to get my books ready...

message 49: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 1761 comments I own The Elementals already so that's a must read for my trip.

message 50: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 604 comments It's not tropical, but it does involve the beach and an island:

The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley

Other suggestions:

Eltonsbrody by Edgar Mittelholzer Cold Skin by Albert Sánchez Piñol

« previous 1