Addicted to YA discussion

Debates > Original Book Cover or Movie Tie-in?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments When there's going to be a movie adaptation of a book and I still haven't had the book yet but find it interesting, I'll buy it immediately because i like its original cover before they change it to the movie's poster...

How bout you guys? :)

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments Yeah me too, but sometimes when I find out that the movie is being made- I think that they actually make the movie covers really nicely- fitting with the character's description and personality if you get what I mean...:)

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments Aubrey ♔ wrote: "I usually go for the original cover and I really don't know why! XD"

Yeah, it's understandable but some of the movie covers a really pretty- for some reason I like the Divergent series movie covers (I got all of them)

message 4: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Angelina wrote: "Yeah me too, but sometimes when I find out that the movie is being made- I think that they actually make the movie covers really nicely- fitting with the character's description and personality if ..."

Sometimes when publishers takes a long time to bring back the original cover I would really wait for it :))))

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments Aubrey ♔ wrote: "The Divergent Series movie tie in covers are beautiful! I prefer the movie tie in cover of Me And Earl And the Dying Girl, it just has more to it :)"

OMG- don't even get me started on how disappointed I was in both the movie and the book!!! Jesus! I hated it- that was one of the books and movies that I had to force myself to watch and read- it was horrible....

message 6: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Angelina wrote: "Aubrey ♔ wrote: "I usually go for the original cover and I really don't know why! XD"

Yeah, it's understandable but some of the movie covers a really pretty- for some reason I like the Divergent s..."

I agree with the movie tie in of the divergent series. They did it really great ^_^

message 7: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Haven't started the series yet :)))

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments @Aubrey: Lol... I'm thinking that I'm the only one that hated it so much:)

@Mira: Agreed:)

message 9: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Aubrey ♔ wrote: "Btw, I was talking about Me And Earl And the Dying Girl not the Divergent Series! The Divergent Series is one of my favorites! :)"

The movie Me and Earl and the Dying girl movie was a meh for me :)))

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments @Mira: You should! It's really good... hopefully no one spoiled the end for you like everyone did for me:) I was so mad :(

@Aubrey: Yeah I know:)

message 11: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments How about the 5th wave? was thinking of reading. Didnt watch the movie cause they said it was horrible :))

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments I know, lol. Oh well, yolo. No one wants to comment, may as well chat here while we're at it:)

message 13: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Aubrey ♔ wrote: "We just turned this thread into a chat group XD"

HAHAHA i thought so too! LOL!

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments Mira wrote: "How about the 5th wave? was thinking of reading. Didnt watch the movie cause they said it was horrible :))"

The Movie was amazing- who would say it was horrible? I think I liked it because I'm a massive Chloe Grace Moretz fan:) But the book is always better- I loved the way it was written. You should definitely read it if you haven't. I wonder what the movie cover for it would look like?

message 15: by Mira (new)

Mira | 34 comments Aubrey ♔ wrote: "The ending for Divergent was spoiled for me too :("

Trying to finish THG series then i'll move onto the Divergent :)))

message 16: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books) (amyriadofbooks) | 39 comments I normally don't buy movie poster book editions, but lately, they're have been some good books turned into movies so Idk...

Mainly I'm just thinking of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Me Before You.

Angie~ Faery of Weirdness (angiegoddessofweirdness) | 550 comments Nicole wrote: "I normally don't buy movie poster book editions, but lately, they're have been some good books turned into movies so Idk...

Mainly I'm just thinking of [book:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies|589977..."

Oh heyyy!!! I totally agree with you!!XD

@Aubrey- tell me about it! Scorch Trials was excruciatingly annoying but I laughed at the fact that everyone jumped at the scares when I just sat their pulling my hair out from the roots!!!!

message 18: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 121 comments I avoid movie tie in covers at all cost. For me they force the character on me. I want my imagination to create the character since it is not what the author chose. I just prefer the original cover art.

message 19: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer | 328 comments It depends on the cover and whether or not I like the original or the movie cover better.

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 12 comments I tend to prefer the original covers but I'm not totally opposed to the movie tie-ins... well unless they look awful, then I'm against them (nods).

message 21: by Dana (new)

Dana Wallace - Not Enough Books, Not Enough Time (danaaa_99) | 8 comments I will always go out of my way to buy the original. It's just better.

message 22: by Darnia (new)

Darnia | 40 comments Kristina wrote: "I avoid movie tie in covers at all cost. For me they force the character on me. I want my imagination to create the character since it is not what the author chose. I just prefer the original cover..."

Very well said. Can't be more agree with you.

message 23: by L.C. (new)

L.C. Perry | 700 comments Always the original cover for me. Movie tie-ins aren't bad, but they take away a lot of the creativity that naturally comes with book covers. No matter how good they are, they disappoint me a bit :(

message 24: by No, David! No! (new)

No, David! No! (daviddevoursbooks) | 17 comments I generally dislike the movie tie-in covers. And in some cases, I hate it, because there was something special about the original covers:
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth I loved the faction symbols in the originals
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins can't beat the pin on the black cover
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs the whole story was created based on the old, odd, black and white photos... why would you change that?

On the other hand, especially for for stories that somehow seem to fit in today's world, i think the second try for the movie actually ends up better. For example:
Nerve by Jeanne Ryan VS Nerve by Jeanne Ryan
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver VS Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky VS The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I think it depends whether the cover adds something new or different. If it just adds the face of the main star, then it usually loses something.

message 25: by Mia (new)

Mia Long (miaya) | 55 comments It really all depends. For example Before I fall movie cover is gorgeous it is way better looking then the original cover.

message 26: by Miko (new)

Miko (mii-miko) | 110 comments I usually prefer the original covers, but if the movie-tie edition is cheaper then I'll buy it instead! :D

message 27: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenhoadley) Kristina wrote: "I avoid movie tie in covers at all cost. For me they force the character on me. I want my imagination to create the character since it is not what the author chose. I just prefer the original cover..."

Absolutely agree!

message 28: by Shristhi (last edited Jun 23, 2017 08:34PM) (new)

Shristhi (thebookgodess) Miko wrote: "I usually prefer the original covers, but if the movie-tie edition is cheaper then I'll buy it instead! :D"

Yes, but it also depends on the covers for me.

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresaanne92) Usually I prefer the original cover because the movie cover is typically made of a cheaper feeling/looking paper. I did enjoy the tv cover of handmaid's tale so I got that one instead of the awful original cover.

message 30: by Gala (new)

Gala (galaer) | 88 comments Allways the original one. Specially when the movie cover has the actors on it. I prefer imagining how the caracters look like.

message 31: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie (koolestlozer) | 38 comments No, David! No! wrote: "I generally dislike the movie tie-in covers. And in some cases, I hate it, because there was something special about the original covers:
Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth I loved the faction symbols ..."

I completely agree with you and I loved the covers in which the show the move tie in was actually better.

message 32: by Mark (new)

Mark Kloss (markkloss) | 68 comments Always the original for me!

ella (taylor's version) (ellastevenson) | 35 comments I couldn't find the original cover for Everything, Everything so I bought the movie one and then, the next day, I found the original cover and I was so angry at myself for not waiting another day. :(

message 34: by katherine (new)

katherine (anonymous_penguin) | 72 comments I prefer the original too! They're so much more creative and nice and look so much better than movie ones. I mean, if I want to see a picture of an actor or actress, I'll look them up. I know that like you're not supposed to judge a book by it's cover but we all do it, it's part of human nature, and so if I see a book with a movie cover I'm less likely to read it. Like I want a book and a pictures of actors and actresses, to me, kind of takes away from the book. That's not the right way to say it. But they're just not as interesting as original book covers...

message 35: by Natalia (new)

Natalia Heaney | 23 comments There have been times in the past that I wanted the movie cover because I was introduced to the movie before the book.

However, I usually don't like them - especially as so few people cast in films look *anything* like I pictured them when I read the book! I don't want some actor who looks wrong or annoys me in real life staring at me when I read!

What's really annoying is when it gets really hard to find the original covers once the movie (or television show) comes out.

empirestatebookshelf Natalia Heaney wrote: "There have been times in the past that I wanted the movie cover because I was introduced to the movie before the book.

However, I usually don't like them - especially as so few people cast in film..."

That's what bugs me the most! I want to imagine the character based on how they were described in the book, not based on the actor who was cast to play them. I feel like I'm being forced to reimagine what the character looks like.

message 37: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Ellison  (chloeellison) OMG I prefer the original cover so much more.

message 38: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 7 comments My biggest problem with movie tie in for book covers is that you could get a picture of the characters/scenery that’s completely inaccurate. The best example I can think of is the Miss peregrine movie book cover. The characters in the movie have different powers and there ages are completely off, so for someone like me who uses the title pictures to decide on the look of the characters or scenery it throws me off.

message 39: by Sarah Nichole (new)

Sarah Nichole | 60 comments Natalia wrote: "What's really annoying is when it gets really hard to find the original covers once the movie (or television show) comes out.”

Book Depository! When I want specific covers they are the only place I go. I do really hate that you can’t find original covers in stores but sometimes it’s worth waiting for the shipping than having random actors on the cover.

message 40: by Sarah Nichole (new)

Sarah Nichole | 60 comments Hayley wrote: "My biggest problem with movie tie in for book covers is that you could get a picture of the characters/scenery that’s completely inaccurate. The best example I can think of is the Miss peregrine mo..."

It was like this with The Vampire Diaries, too. Not necessarily the powers but I believe in the books Elena is blonde while in the shows she is a dark brunette. When they put Nina Dobrev on the cover it didn’t really make much sense for the books.

message 41: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Arsenault | 45 comments I've never really been a fan of the movie covers for books. I dunno, I guess they always look kind of kitschy to me? Original covers are usually a lot better. Movie covers certainly could be done well - "The Hate U Give" is one good example - but I don't see it often, unfortunately. :/

message 42: by Pooja (new)

Pooja Kotgir (Poojakotgir) | 2 comments What's really annoying about movie covers on the book is when you read a book, you imagine the character to look in a certain way and walk in a certain way and their mannerisms. But when it comes to movies, it's all about hiring the pretty people without caring for the intricacies of the characters. For example Tris in The Divergent Series, the essence of that character was lost in the movie since they conveniently eliminated all her flaws that made her so likable and someone the readers could connect to.

message 43: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Christensen I prefer original covers, Tie in will inevitably have a mark or line with "Now a major motion picture" on it, and have the actors face rather then the characters. Now if neither of those show up I might by it but usually not