2016 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

Quick Picks

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments I had a student hand me a copy of the Red Queen, insisting that I should read it. I enjoyed it very much. The protagonist reminds me of Katniss from The Hunger Games, a tough young woman who is willing to do what it takes to keep her family as safe as possible. The similarities don't stop there. Anyone who enjoys dystopian lit will find this a satisfying read.

message 2: by Jmrunninglib (new)

Jmrunninglib | 7 comments This is the list that I have read the most off - I think mostly because I could get them through my library's e-book service.
A Fan girl's Guide was interesting because it was a diary type format of everything a "nerdy" girl needs to know. It was a little dry in places, but easy to skim and then settle on places you wanted to read more thoroughly. And I found out I guess I'm a nerd :).
Rad American Women was a quick read with interesting facts about ladies with names A-Z.
Red Queen was great. I too would recommend it to those students who loved Katniss and that Dystopian genre. The 2nd book just came in, but I haven't had a chance to read it - it's always out :)
Shadowshaper I picked up because I thought the cover was interesting and I wasn't disappointed. It wasn't like anything I read before, weaving in latino culture and family with magic and modern day trials and heartbreaks. I would highly recommend it if you want something off the usual teen path.
But by far my favorite so far off this list has to be Dumplin'. From the opening line about Dolly Parton songs to the end of the beauty pageant you'll find yourself rooting for the underdog and hoping that just this once they will end up on top. I have recommended this to several high school students that I thought could relate and they loved it.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments Jmrunninglib: Thank you for your recommendation above. I just finished Dumplin' and completely agree with your mention above. I love the introspection, her honesty about herself self-image, and the characters she surrounds herself with throughout the story - before and after BFF issues. Great read!

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie | 16 comments I just finished Shadowshaper. While I like the idea of using the beliefs of the Latino cultures here, I didn't think the characters or the plot were well developed. I had a hard time slogging through the story.