What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > YA Comedic Sci-Fi Space or Dimension Travel through a donut shop

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C (new)

C Bohl | 2 comments I'm trying to remember the name or author of a book I read in the mid 80s. It was about a teenaged boy (at least I think it was a boy) who was able to travel to other dimensions via a portal in a donut shop. The donut shop would only be open at very unpredictable times, usually in the early morning. I only remember that I found the book hilariously funny. Someone has suggested Hitchhiker's Guide, which I'm quite sure it isn't, but a similar concept. Help me recover my lost childhood!

message 2: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2099 comments This reminds me of the short story "Why I left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_L..., but is almost certainly not what you're thinking of.

message 3: by C (new)

C Bohl | 2 comments Andy wrote: "This reminds me of the short story "Why I left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_I_L..., but is almost certainly not what you're thinking of."

I just found an online copy of that short story- it's not it, but a similar style to what I remember! Thanks!

message 4: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 274 comments Could this me one of the books by Daniel Pinkwater? I'm thinking possibly one of the Snarkout Boys pair, first one is The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death, or Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy From Mars. Those feature odd eateries (a Pinkwater staple) that are often doorways to other places or the way to meet the aliens/martians/strange beings.

message 5: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments It sounds like Pinkwater to me, too, but I don't remember a donut shop with a portal in it. The Snarkout Boys books don't sound right, because they dealt with down to Earth, realistic, non-interdimensional themes like Avodacos of Death and werewolves.

Could be Alan Mendelsohn, though, or maybe Borgel? I think Alan Mendelsohn had a deli that served great chili, but I don't remember donuts. I barely remember Borgl at all, but the characters definitely leave Earth.

message 6: by Michele (last edited Feb 27, 2016 11:19AM) (new)

Michele | 2425 comments Andy wrote: "This reminds me of the short story "Why I left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers"

Well now I must read Why I Left Harry's All-Night Hamburgers :)

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39848 comments Mod
C, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39848 comments Mod
No response; moving to Abandoned.