What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Mystery - treasures hidden in Grandfather's house [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments I read this one in 1976 and I think it was new at the time. A group of children (10 and younger) are visiting their grandfather's house in New England (in an old fishing town I think); grandfather is forgetful and in danger of losing his home (due to lack of money and possibly due to concerns that he's not capable of caring for himself). Decades earlier he had hidden valuables (including uncut diamonds) in the house, but no longer remembers where - he does remember the clues he left for himself, which are variations on old poems, etc. For example, he recalls something about "castanets" being important, which leads to finding the diamonds (I think) knotted into an old fishing net ("cast a net"), and he recites "One flew east, one flew west, one flew over two cuckoos' nest" which leads to items hidden in the fireplace flues (the one in the east and the one in the west) and near the old fashioned irons he had for pressing clothes (solid iron - non-electric) which were apparently called "cuckoos" in local slang). Great fun as the kids slowly work through the clues, and I think there was a villain too, trying to get the treasure ahead of them.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2422 comments Ooh, this is nagging at me... Was it a picture book or a chapter book?

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Michele wrote: "Ooh, this is nagging at me... Was it a picture book or a chapter book?"

Definitely a chapter book: about the same size as a Hardy Boys or Three Investigators book from that era.

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5006 comments Grandfather Webster's Strange Will Grandfather Webster's Strange Will by Sherbrooke Rogers is later than your book. And, the circumstances are different. But, I decided to throw it out there anyway.

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Thanks - the grandfather in my book was still alive, though, just forgetful.

message 6: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Bump

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 8: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Key to the Treasure?"

Very similar to what I'm looking for, but not quite. The treasure was more recent (from their grandfather's lifetime) and there were no Indians. Clearly the same kind of book though.

message 9: by Andy (last edited May 09, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments My wife found this on one of our bookcases (I guess my folks brought it down to us some years ago). It's Secrets of Pirate Inn The Secrets of the Pirate Inn

message 10: by Andy (last edited May 09, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Andy wrote: "My wife found this on one of our bookcases (I guess my folks brought it down to us some years ago). It's Secrets of Pirate Inn The Secrets of the Pirate Inn"

Thanks to whichever moderator moved this to "Solved" (I forgot to do that yesterday).