What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book about Roman gladiators

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail | 14 comments This was a children's or MG book I remember checking out from an elementary or middle school library. It was probably 6 or 7 years ago, but the book was older.
I think it was told in the form of a diary of a young boy whose father was a gladiator. The father was killed, and the boy became the personal assistant to someone in authority. I seem to remember it talking about the person in authority giving the thumbs-up or thumbs-down to decide if gladiators would die.
I don't remember much more about the plot, but I think the cover was either beige or red and had a picture of a young man on it.
I believe the book was part of a series of similar books (told as diaries) of historical fiction.
Thank you!

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2359 comments Hm. Possibly something by Rosemary Sutcliff, she did a lot of Roman historical fiction, e.g The Eagle of the Ninth.

message 3: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments Possibly a book by Richard Platt? I got one in a similar sounding series for my nephew.

message 4: by DB (new)

DB (DB's Guide to the Galaxy) (dbgalaxy) Is it perhaps the Gladiator series by Simon Scarrow?

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34407 comments Mod
Gladiator series by Simon Scarrow for Daniela's suggestion - https://www.goodreads.com/series/7432...

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Abigail, are you still looking for this or did you find it?