#readwomen discussion

Book Discussion (No Spoilers) > march '16 book club

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 26, 2016 11:48AM) (new)

the book we will be reading starting march 1st is...

Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

kindred by octavia butler :D

thanks for voting, everyone!!! i have a feeling this one is going to be exceptional.

feel free to post your spoiler-free reactions on this thread.
the 'spoiler alert!' thread for this book will go up on march 1st. don't be scared to make your own threads, either!

message 2: by pi (new)

pi (book__sorceress) | 13 comments Mod
Yay!!! I'm sure this one is going to be really great!! :D

Thanks to the #readwomen book club I'm discovering so many interesting reads and authors, and I'm so happy about it!! (:

message 3: by Saffyre (new)

Saffyre Falkenberg (thebooksapphire) | 6 comments I can't believe the kindle book is $15.99!! Hoping my library has it, haha.

thebaronessofbooks | 3 comments I was hoping it'd be this one! Can't wait to read this, it's been on my tbr shelf for about a year now.

message 5: by Jenny Lynn (new)

Jenny Lynn (jennylynnferg) | 16 comments Just checked the catalogue and we have it at my library (though at a different branch from the one I work at). Can't wait to get started (though I should probably try and finish one of the other books I'm currently reading...). I'm excited to read this as I've heard so much good stuff about Butler's writer and this book in particular

message 6: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments saffyre- the paperback is 9 dollars at b&n, used copies are only 2

message 7: by Dinalee (new)

Dinalee (dinamitebooks) | 2 comments I just got paid, and have a lot of books to look for to buy. Adding this one to the list.

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat-thecatlady) | 12 comments I never heard of this book before but it sounded like the type of book I needed in my life!
started it already and I'm really enjoying it so far :D

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

i don't know about you amazing people, but i'm super in love with this book so far. i went into it like 90% blind and it's not at all what i was expecting it to be!!! which is to say that it's AWESOME. i'm taking an african american women writers course at my college this semester and it's interesting to see how kindred ties together with the other works i'm reading at the moment.

i also think it's interesting that this is the second time travel book we're reading together as a group. how do you think this one is different from or similar to PASSENGER by alexandra bracken?

message 10: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments just got this in, starting today ^.^

message 11: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments just finished... all I can say is Wow!

message 12: by Saffyre (new)

Saffyre Falkenberg (thebooksapphire) | 6 comments Manda, it's so interesting comparing the different systems of time travel in both books. I also really like that, across both books, we get social commentary on life for both men AND women of color in America before the Civil War.

message 13: by Jesi (new)

Jesi (jesireads) | 19 comments saffyre- that was my favorite part too and both authors did it so relaistically, heartbreakingly good as well