Read Runners discussion

Buddy up and read! > Buddy Reads-Rebecca and Aparna

Comments Showing 1-50 of 284 (284 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Aparna (new)

Aparna We all know that, the fun in reading a book is twofold when we share the experience with friends and goodreads has given us a great platform for doing so.
Myself and Rebecca are here to undertake this journey and we hope to have a wonderful time exploring different books.Anyone who is interested in sharing this experience with us ,please feel free to join in.
Happy Reading :)

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Mar 09, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Wow! That was a nice introduction. So we'll start with The Convenient Marriage

2 A Man Called Ove

message 3: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Wow! Congratulations and best wishes to both of you! I will definitely keep peeping in to see what you two are reading and when possible I will definitely join in! :D

Nice intro Aparna! Totally agree with this statement!

the fun in reading a book is twofold when we share the experience with friends

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) Congratulations you two!

Just like my buddy I will keep an eye on what you two are reading and add books to my tbr if something catch my eye.:)

And all the best!

message 5: by Vimal (new)

Vimal Thiagarajan (veeti) | 228 comments Nice Intro! I'll be peeping in here too, ready to be influenced and will join in when possible. Good luck :)

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Joining the bandwagon :-P

message 7: by Aparna (new)

Aparna Wow! Thanks so much friends for your kind words of encouragement and wishes..I do not have too many friends or family members who share my love for reading books.You guys have brightened my day !..Looking forward to discuss some amazing books with you guys :)

message 8: by Aparna (new)

Aparna Buddy lets get the ball rolling :)

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Same here , Aparna, nowadays I discuss books only on Good reads, FB and WhatsApp :-(

message 10: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Thanks all for the blessings!
My mum and sister in law reads. In my teens I used to have hours of discussion with my mum about each book we've read. She used to make me write a synopsis of every book soon after I've finished it.. It was only later that I learned what I wrote then were reviews. I think she does that even today.Now she is way ahead of me and reads various genres and not fluff like me. My sis in law is an avid reader but we have interests in different genres. Even then we discuss books for hours on the phone. So I feel I am lucky in that aspect.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments And Aparna where have you reached? I read and reread the scene between Rule and Horry. It was hilarious! Are you liking this?

message 12: by Aparna (new)

Aparna @Syl , I know exactly how you feel. Well.. atleast now we have goodreads to discuss , a few years back it was even worse.

@Rebecca You are truly blessed to have family members to discuss books :)
I have just started the book.just done with one chapter.
Looks like its going to be a fun read!

message 13: by Aparna (new)

Aparna I have started with chapter 2 , where Horatia is going to have a word with Rule..liking the whole regency romance setup!

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments I am midway through and it is .......well will wait for your reactions as this is your first Georgette Heyer.

message 15: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis Can I spam?

message 16: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Gehna wrote: "Can I spam?"

Nope! :P :P

message 17: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis *goes to a corner and starts crying*

message 18: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Gehna wrote: "*goes to a corner and starts crying*"

*tells DeeJ to stop crying and spamming by crying* *also tells DeeJ that I have no authority to stop her, so she can do what she wants and I think by this post, I am joining her in spamming* :P

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments You were late in consoling, Sri.
In the past 50 min, Gehna's house must have been flooded with salt water.

message 20: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) ROFL, Syl!! Well, it will provide her the much needed coolness from all this heat! :P :P

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Anybody is welcome to spam or otherwise......

message 22: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Rebecca wrote: "Anybody is welcome to spam or otherwise......"

Don't!!!!!!!!! You don't know the avalanche you are inviting by allowing DeeJ to spam here! :P :P

*runs away before DeeJ sees this* :P :P

message 23: by Aparna (new)

Aparna Rebecca wrote: "I am midway through and it is .......well will wait for your reactions as this is your first Georgette Heyer."

Looks like the marriage between our dear Horry and Lord Rule is turning out to be a very expensive affair for Rule...lol..
Liking it ..Thanks to Horry , Rule never has a dull moment in his life..haha!

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Aparna I read Friday's Child before this and I think the similarities are way too much. But still it is enjoyable....

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Sri you have scared Gehna away!!!!

message 26: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Ahh don't worry. She will be back. She ain't one to get scared by lil ole me! :P

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Rebecca wrote: "Aparna I read Friday's Child before this and I think the similarities are way too much. But still it is enjoyable...."

Authors always write similar books - if not the stories, you know how the broad theme turns out.
Example
Agatha Christie
PG Wodehouse
P D James
Georgette Heyer
Sophie Hannah
Gillian Flynn

message 28: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis @Sri, stop pulling my leg :/ :\
I am not a cry baby :/

@Rebecca, I am not scared. Just letting you guys discuss a book or two in peace. After that you have to read my spam comments @_@

message 29: by Jarvis (new)

Jarvis The list Syl gave, I have read 3 authors and I really love Agatha Christie and Wodehouse.
Have read two books Gillian Flynn but gave 3.5 stars both the times. Psychological thrillers aren't for me I guess ;P

message 30: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments But Syl Christie I feel mamages to bring variety in all her mysteries. Maybe there are a few similarities but still. .... Wodehouse if read continuously can get a bit tiresome due to the repetitiveness.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments I am yet to read a Sophie Hannah or Gillian flynn. PD James I only moderately liked the first one cover your face.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments There is variety in Christie. But havent you noticed in most books, some long lost relative abroad, one or two aliases, a spunky young girl, eccentric unloved rich older relatives who die etc? :-P

message 33: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Now that you point out maybe......

message 34: by Aparna (new)

Aparna Yes I agree , perhaps because its my first georgette Heyer book, I can see it in a totally different light..Hoping to finish it soon..

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments I have finished . Reserving my comments till Aparna finishes.

message 36: by Aparna (new)

Aparna Done :)..will write the review soon

message 37: by Aparna (new)

Aparna 4 stars..It was a fun and cozy read. Loved the tête-à-tête between our dear Horry and Lord Rule.It was so quirky and full of wit and light humor. What are your thoughts rebecca ?

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Aparna I would have loved it more had I not read Fridays Child first. It was almost the same even the sidekicks who made me howl out with laughter in Fridays child. But still it was an enjoyable read. I have read a mystery by the same author Why Shoot a Butler? which was a total disappointment. I think The Grand Sophy was a little different but I am not much of a fan of the oversmart Sophy.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Even I didnot like Grand Sophy much.
Butler was okayish...

message 40: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments I hated the hero in the Butler. Too much Attitude!

message 41: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) I loved Sophy. It was my first Heyer book and I read it while I was in my teens. To be honest, Sophy reminded me of myself, I was a little smug and oversmart at that time and age. Now however, is a different matter..but still I felt a kindred spirit with Sophy. :P :D

My second was Arabella, another of Heyer's that I enjoyed. In fact, I think I have read almost all of Heyer's when I was a teen. I loved romances, still do actually, and Heyer's writing was just too good! :D

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Rebecca wrote: "I hated the hero in the Butler. Too much Attitude!"

Have forgotten his attitude. vaguely remember the story :P

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Srividya wrote: "I loved Sophy. It was my first Heyer book and I read it while I was in my teens. To be honest, Sophy reminded me of myself, I was a little smug and oversmart at that time and age. Now however, is a..."
I too read Heyer during teens, but dont remember my first. Just remember that I loved Sprig Muslin

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Maybe I am withered and weary or maybe I am a cynic but I can't take romance just for romance sake nowadays. I need it to be a part of something whole. Will you believe it when I tell you the best romance I've read is that of Watson in Sherlock Holmes?

I will read Arabella one day but not anytime soon.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments Watson???? And Romance/???
I thought he was a roving eye Romeo.
Anyway I dont like Watson and Sherlock...

message 46: by Srividya (new)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) Yes, you are a cynic, Rebecca! :P :P

On a serious note, I do agree with you. Romance is sweet but usually not enough. It needs a good story to back it up, which is never there when you read a romance novel. However, I have learnt to read it in between bigger and heavier books, which makes it bearable and gives you the much needed break. Of course, I experiment with a lot of romance genres, so the variety helps! :D

I don't like those two either! :(

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Watson is not a Romeo he is just an admirer of all things beautiful!!! :P :D.

And I simply love Sherlock Holmes. He was my first love and even now I talk about him in revered tones.

Em*bedded-in-books* (embeddedinbooks) | 2936 comments I know, ... many are there to vie with you.
But... what I say may come as a massive disappointment...
Sherlock is supposed to be homosexual and drug addict
Watson is much more than his friend...
That;s what I read somewhere...

message 50: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 272 comments Syl I will personally come to Manipal just to lay my bare hands on the throat of an avid reader settled there.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6