Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Sword & Sorcery in other media > Sword & Sorcery Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan (TheGreatBeast) | 213 comments As I mentioned in the Savage Sword thread, I've been in the mood for some good fantasy/Sword & Sorcery graphic novels. I recently picked up The Ring of the Nibelung in a hardcover anthology from Dark Horse, and I really look forward to plunging into it. What are some other good fantasy graphic novels? How was the First Law adaptation? Is it based on the books by Abercrombie or a new story altogether?

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom The First Law adaption was good right up the issue where they stopped publishing it.. like 3 or 4 issues. :(

One my favorites was Battlechaser's but again stopped before it was finished because Joe Mad went on to a career in video games.

message 3: by Dan (last edited Feb 26, 2016 11:46AM) (new)

Dan (TheGreatBeast) | 213 comments You know what? I actually have an Elric graphic novel at home that I have yet to crack into! Thanks for reminding me!

I really liked the first Dragon Age game, never played the sequels though. Had a friend that was actually part of the team making the first game.

Edit: This one right here: Elric: Stormbringer which coincidentally is also illustrated by P. Craig Russell, who did The Ring Nibelrung.

message 4: by Martin (new)

Martin Christopher | 67 comments I think the Dark Horse Conan and Kull comics are really great.

message 5: by Rich (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:01PM) (new)

Rich | 58 comments Take a look at Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass & Sorcery. It's quite good, one of my favorite series over the last couple years. There are 2 volumes out now, with a third coming in May.

Also look for Skullkickers Vol. 1: 1000 Opas and a Dead Body, Slaine: The Horned God: Kiss His Axe! (Simon Bisley's art is fantastic), other Slaine titles, Nimona, and Kurt Busiek/Cary Nord's Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories (and later volumes).

P. Craig Russell's adaptation of Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur (Conan is also really good (I'm a big fan of Russell's art). He also did The Ring of the Nibelung, which is great.

There are quite a few adaptations of Moorcock's Elric stories:
The Michael Moorcock Library - Elric Vol.1: Elric of Melniboné
The Michael Moorcock Library Vol.2: Elric: Sailor on the Seas of Fate
The Michael Moorcock Library - Elric Vol 3: The Dreaming City
The Michael Moorcock Library - Elric Volume 4: The Weird of the White Wolf
Elric: Stormbringer
Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 1: The Ruby Throne
Michael Moorcock's Elric Vol. 2: Stormbringer
and a few others.

message 6: by Rich (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:09PM) (new)

Rich | 58 comments I forgot to include any number of volumes of Sergio Aragones' Groo, if you are looking for something funny.

message 7: by Greg (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:32PM) (new)

Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom I second Rat Queens and Skullkickers if you don't mind a satirical slant.

As a matter of fact eComix of Skullkickers is on sale today from Comixology
https://www.comixology.com/Jim-Zub-Sa...

I bought the last couple volumes to get up to date myself.