Challenge Corner discussion

Archives > Team Folk->Chat & Planning

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments Please comment and let us know that you still plan to participate by March first. Then use this thread to plan with your teammates.

Team
Beth
Maya
Angelina

message 2: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Ready!

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Hi, I'm here and so ready for this awesomeness!

message 4: by Angelina (new)

Angelina | 21 comments I'm still participating! :)

message 5: by Maya (last edited Feb 28, 2016 04:36PM) (new)

Maya White | 734 comments This is what I'm planning on reading and the categories they fit:

HARRY POTTER and the ORDER of the PHEONIX by J. K. ROWLING--- Bully-Shinedown: Read a book that involves bullying OR Read a book written from a bully’s perspective. <-I’m going to ask about this one, because I’m not 100% sure that this’ll work.
CITY of LOST SOULS by CASSANDRA CLARE---- Youth-Troye Sivan: Read a book with immortal characters OR Read a book about a road trip.
ALLEGIANT by VERONICA ROTH---- Give Up at 2-Sofi de la Torre: Read a book with a failing relationship (doesn’t necessarily have to be a romantic relationship).
THE INFINITE SEA by RICK YANCEY---- Stranger in a Strange Land-Iron Maiden: Read a science fiction or fantasy novel.

Do y'all have anything planned for March? Also I may read more books than this and I may not. I don't know. The books may also change. But as of right now, this is my plan. Haha

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Great your whole team is here.

message 7: by Angelina (new)

Angelina | 21 comments I don't have all of the books fully planned out yet, but I am reading this one for sure.

Die Wellenläufer by Kai Meyer = Pompeii-Bastille: Read a historical book (fiction or nonfiction).

I will definitely read other books too though.

message 8: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Very cool! I usually plan on reading 5, but only end up reading like 3. So no worries. :)

message 9: by Elizabeth (last edited Mar 31, 2016 04:38PM) (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Some of my planned reads (if they work, that is):

*Outside-Ellie Goulding: Read a book with a character who has become an outcast.
The Cresswell Plot

*Couldn’t Stop Caring-Spiritual Machines: Read a book with a character who seems to care too much (about a relationship/event/social standing etc) OR Read a book with a character who refuses to give up someone/something. 
Spider Game

*Do I Wanna Know-Arctic Monkeys: Read a book with an “on again/off again” romance.
Queen Mab: A Tale Entwined with William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet

*Photograph-Ed Sheeran: Read a book with a polaroid on the cover OR Read a book where pictures are important. 

*Pretty Thoughts-Alina Baraz and Galimatias: Read a book written in first person OR Read a book with a lyrical writing style. 
The Forbidden Wish

*The Road-Frank Turner: Read a book about a character with “wanderlust” OR Read a book about a musician. 
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

*The Sound of Silence-Disturbed: Read a book where dreams have some significant impact OR Read a religion based dystopian novel. 
Epitaphs

*No Place in Heaven-Mika: Read a book with a character who has been given a second chance. 
Not If I See You First

*Mittens-Frank Turner: Read a book that’s outside your comfort zone OR Read a book with a one-sided love story. 
Touch

*Youth-Troye Sivan: Read a book with immortal characters OR Read a book about a road trip. 
Night World, No. 1

*Give Up at 2-Sofi de la Torre: Read a book with a failing relationship (doesn’t necessarily have to be a romantic relationship).
The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak

*Masterpiece Theater III-Marianas Trench: Read a book with a character suffering from a mental illness. 
Wolfcry

*Little Do You Know-Alex and Sierra: Read a book with a relationship that is being rebuilt OR Read a book with characters named “Alex” or “Sierra.”
Anew

*Remedy-Seether: Read a book where a character has a terminal illness OR Read a book with a character who has an addiction.
A Monster Calls

*Lie-David Cook: Read a book with an unreliable narrator. 

*Brick by Boring Brick-Paramore: Read a fairy tale retelling. 
Never

*Bully-Shinedown: Read a book that involves bullying OR Read a book written from a bully’s perspective. 
#Hater

*Run Run Run-Kelly Clarkson and John Legend: Read a book written by two people.

*Pompeii-Bastille: Read a historical book (fiction or nonfiction). 
The Uninvited

*Stranger in a Strange Land-Iron Maiden: Read a science fiction or fantasy novel.
Equal Parts 

message 10: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Dang Elizabeth!!! Good for you! You're going to be earning us a lot of points!

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "Dang Elizabeth!!! Good for you! You're going to be earning us a lot of points!"

I hope so! :D I've been in a bit of a reading slump, I'm hoping March breaks me out of it and I get back on schedule.

message 12: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Oh I'm sorry! Reading slumps are the worst. I feel like you need just one bad book that makes you not want to read. I hope you find a good book to get you out of it though. :)

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "Oh I'm sorry! Reading slumps are the worst. I feel like you need just one bad book that makes you not want to read. I hope you find a good book to get you out of it though. :)"

Thank you! Reading slumps stiiiiiink so bad! XD I'm starting my month off with Natalia Jaster--I think that should be a pretty epic start!

message 14: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments They really really do! Ooh what has she written?

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "They really really do! Ooh what has she written?"

Trick by Natalia Jaster , which I read in January and LOVED, and also Touch by Natalia Jaster , which is what I'm kicking off March with. :D I'm excited.

message 16: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Oh wow they both sound really really good! I'll have to look into them.

message 17: by Angelina (new)

Angelina | 21 comments Touch sounds really good, hope you enjoy it!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments I finished both Touch by Natalia Jaster AND Epitaphs (Echoes, #2) by Therin Knite ; have added them both to the review thread, and crossed them both off my list. I'm going to be starting Anew (The Archers of Avalon, #1) by Chelsea Fine next, as I have a buddy read for it.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Just finished Anew (The Archers of Avalon, #1) by Chelsea Fine ; starting Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom

How's the reading going, everyone?

message 20: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments I've been super über busy at the beginning of this month but I am FINALLY starting my first book. Hopefully I can catch up.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "I've been super über busy at the beginning of this month but I am FINALLY starting my first book. Hopefully I can catch up."

:) No worries, it happens to everyone! Happy reading!

message 22: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Thanks Elizabeth! I'm reading Allegiant in honor of the movie so fingers crossed it'll be good!

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "Thanks Elizabeth! I'm reading Allegiant in honor of the movie so fingers crossed it'll be good!"

OH, I LOVED Allegiant (the book)...but I'm one of few with that opinion, most people really disliked it. Fingers crossed you enjoy it though!

message 24: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Sorry to budge in. I too loved allegiant

message 25: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8239 comments I happen to be one of those who didn't enjoy Allegiant. I disliked it for different reasons than most people I've met though.

message 26: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments I loved the other books in the series. I'm sure I'll love this one just as much. Probably even more to be honest. Cause I know what happens at the end thanks to the interweb. I'm gonna sound like a horrible person but I love the books where you can see all the crap that the characters have gone through. Because I feel like they are human and you just see all them broken down. I don't know how to explain it haha. But I'm gonna guess that allegiant will be my favorite.

message 27: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiegirl02) | 4614 comments Let us know what you think when you're done.

message 28: by Angelina (last edited Mar 07, 2016 04:08AM) (new)

Angelina | 21 comments I just finished Die Wellenläufer (Wellenläufer-Trilogie, #1) by Kai Meyer and I have stocked up on books from the library:
Skulduggery Pleasant (Skulduggery Pleasant, #1) by Derek Landy
Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2) by Kendare Blake
Silber Das erste Buch der Träume (Silber, #1) by Kerstin Gier The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

message 29: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments I will :)

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Just finished Not If I See You First by Eric Lindstrom ; will be starting The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1) by Catherynne M. Valente tomorrow!

message 31: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Oooh Elizabeth how did you like Not If I See You First?

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "Oooh Elizabeth how did you like Not If I See You First?"

I LOVED it. I gave it 4.5/5 Penguins (my version of stars lol). I really adored how snarky and confident and GREAT Parker is as a character; she's also a bit of an unreliable narrator, which I adore. And the book is just...gaaaah. It really made me reconsider the world and myself.

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Hey guys. Just finished Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3) by L.J. Smith ; added it to the review thread. How are you all?

message 34: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Oh Elizabeth that's great! Yeah I was at Barns & Noble the other day and looking at the book. So maybe I'll give it a shot. It looked really interesting!

message 35: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments I just finished my first book, so my review of it will probably go up tomorrow or Tuesday. Then I shall be finishing Allegiant. It's so good so far!!! Only like 100 pages in and there's already a twist!

message 36: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Hey guys, I just wanted keep y'all updated. So I have finished my first book and will be writing my review tomorrow, I have started my second book and hopefully will be done with that tomorrow. Starting on Wednesday, I won't be having internet access for about 5 days because I will be in Cancun, Mexico. So when I get back, hopefully I would have read another book, and I will update when I come back.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments Maya wrote: "Hey guys, I just wanted keep y'all updated. So I have finished my first book and will be writing my review tomorrow, I have started my second book and hopefully will be done with that tomorrow. Sta..."

So jealous--enjoy your trip!

message 38: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Thank you! Yeah I'm super excited! My uncle is getting married there, so that's why I'm going. But I'm gonna enjoy reading in the sun!

message 39: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments I'm baaaack!! Cancun was pretty cool. Anyway, I know I keep saying this, but I will be submitting my reviews tonight. I promise!!!

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Mathis (betwixtthesepages) | 85 comments LOL okay--and welcome back! Are you all tan and stuff? (maybe you shouldn't tell me, I might get more jealous than I already am... XD ) So glad you had a good time!

message 41: by Maya (new)

Maya White | 734 comments Hey guys, sorry I didn't really help out all that much this month! Y'all did a great job though!

Also thanks Elizabeth!