Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Leonardo da Vinci

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 39 comments Can any recommend historical fiction about Leonardo? He's a great hero of mine.

Thanks,

Bill

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn | 591 comments Upcoming: Donna Russo Morin's Portrait of Conspiracy: Da Vinci's Disciples - Book One, which has a Florentine society of clandestine female painters who befriend Leonardo after the Pazzi Conspiracy. Excellent, and the first of a series.

message 3: by Hamid (last edited Feb 27, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Hamid Karima | 41 comments Hi- there are some books here :
((Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex)) is about a woman who longs to be painted by Leonardo. (( I, Mona Lisa by Jeanne Kalogridis )) imagines the life of the woman in Leonardo's most famous painting. (( Javier Sierra's The Secret Supper )) portrays a battle of wits between Leonardo and a representative of the Inquisition over "heretical" elements in his painting of the Last Supper.

(( James McKean's Quattrocento )) is a time-slip novel in which a modern man falls in love with a woman in a previously unrecognized da Vinci painting and is able to travel back in time to meet her. The term "quattrocento" refers to the early Renaissance period in which Leonardo painted. A lesser-known novel about da Vinci is Michele Desbordes's slender 2003 novel. (( The Maid's Request)), about the artist as an elderly man and the maidservant who wishes to continue to serve him after death by giving him her body to study.

Leonardo da Vinci was far more than a painter. In the 1970s, co-authors Martin Woodhouse and Robert Ross wrote a series of thrillers beginning with ((The Medici Guns)) which focus on his work developing futuristic weaponry for the Duke of Milan. Author George Herman added sleuthing to the roster of Leonardo's talents. He has written three mystery novels, beginning with ((A Comedy of Murders )) in 1994, in which da Vinci teams up with a court dwarf to investigate murder.

message 4: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 39 comments Thank you so much, Hamid!

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments There's another mystery series focusing on Leonardo da Vinci and his apprentice that begins with The Queen's Gambit
by Diane A. S. Stuckart.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Iadanza (emmaiadanza) One of my favorite historical fiction novels of all time is Signora da Vinci by Robin Maxwell- it's actually about his mother. It's not the most amazing novel or incredibly accurate but it really set me towards loving the Renaissance very very much.

Da Vinci is mentioned a little in The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone, about Michelangelo. It's a wonderful novel.

Also, about art, though this is a bit later in florentine history than Da Vinci, the Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant.

I also suggest Giorgio Vasari's Lives of the Most Excellent Artists (etc etc), it has a long section on da Vinci and he's also mentioned in the life of Verrocchio. I highly suggest it even though Vasari is a bit biased (he was in love with Michelangelo) and inaccurate even though he knew some of the artists. Nonetheless the stories are interesting to hear first/second hand.

message 7: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Knox | 4 comments Hi

I've written a fictional biography of Leonardo da Vinci's sister Lisabetta Buti. 'Second Lisa' by Veronica Knox (V Knox) and another time slip about Sandro Botticelli titled 'Adoration - loving Botticelli' by V Knox.

Leonardo also features heavily in two of my other books. I write about lost paintings and lost identities of the artists in the fifteenth century Italian renaissance.

You may like to visit my website wwwveronicaknox.com

I've been a member since 2013 but I left my account dormant for 3 years. I can see the 4 books I downloaded in 2013 but my data is lost. In the meantime, I'm trying to reinstate my old lists and will upload the rest of my 9 books in the next few weeks.

A colleague of mine passed your thread link to me which is how I found you. cheers. Leonardo has inspired five of my books.

message 8: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Knox | 4 comments I just got notified by Goodreads that they've found and reinstated my original profile.

message 9: by Veronica (new)

Veronica Knox | 4 comments Yes ma'am they are. The latest 'The Unthinkable Shoes' is a departure from the Italian renaissance. It's a story of reincarnation based on the Titanic disaster, self-published a few days ago on the 104 anniversary of the sinking. I will be downloading it here in the next few weeks.

I've read all your historical Schellendorf series, so it's a thrill meeting up with you here.