DFW ASL Book Club discussion

Book Suggestions > Book Suggestions for March 1st-March 25

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betty Joan (new)

Betty Joan (thebejo) | 25 comments Mod
Submit book suggestions! March is Women's History Month, so feel free to submit books you feel would be a great fit for this theme. Should probably be written by women ;)

message 2: by Betty Joan (last edited Feb 26, 2016 10:05AM) (new)

Nida had a great suggestion that didn't win the last poll, I feel it would fit here so I have copied it:

(1) Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown. I read it during college and loved it! Would love to read it again.

Summary from Wiki:

"The novel focuses on Molly Bolt, the adopted daughter of a poor family, who possesses remarkable beauty and who is aware of her lesbianism from early childhood. Her relationship with her mother is rocky, and at a young age her mother, referred to as "Carrie," informs Molly that she is not her own biological child but a "bastard." Molly has her first same-sex sexual relationship in the sixth grade with her girlfriend Leota B. Bisland, and then again in a Florida high school, where she has another sexual relationship with another friend, the school's head cheerleader Carolyn Simpson, who willingly has sex with Molly but rejects the "lesbian" label. Molly also engages in sex with males, including her cousin Leroy when the two were younger. Her father, Carl, dies when she is in her junior year of high school.

In a combination of her strong-willed nature and disdain for Carrie, Molly pushes herself to excel in high school, winning a full scholarship to the University of Florida. Unlike Carrie, Carl had always supported Molly's goals and education. However, when Molly's relationship with her alcoholic roommate is discovered, she is denied a renewal of her scholarship. Possessing little money, she moves to New York to pursue an education in filmmaking. Upon reaching New York, she realizes that the rubyfruit is maybe not as delicious and varied as she had dreamed within the concrete jungle."

message 3: by Betty Joan (new)

Charlotte has suggested The Tiger's Wife:

Summary: " By the time she is thirteen, Natalia has taken so many trips with her grandfather to visit the caged tigers that she feels like a prisoner of ritual. Then a war hundreds of miles distant breaks the ritual: the zoo closes, curfews are implemented, students are disappearing, and spending time with her grandfather seems less important than committing small acts of defiance: staying out late, kissing a boyfriend behind a broken vending machine, and listening to black market recordings of Paul Simon and Johnny Cash. When her grandfather is suspended from his medical practice because he is suspected of harboring "loyalist feelings toward the unified state," Natalia adopts new rituals that keep her at his side when he isn't paying clandestine visits to his old patients. In return, he takes her to see an astonishing sight that offers the hope for an eventual restoration of the rituals that made up their pre-war lives.

message 4: by Betty Joan (new)

"The Bonesetter's Daughter" by Amy Tan
Ruth Young and her widowed mother, LuLing, have always had a tumultuous relationship. Now, before she succumbs to forgetfulness, LuLing gives Ruth some of her writings, which reveal a side of LuLing that Ruth has never known. . . .

In a remote mountain village where ghosts and tradition rule, LuLing grows up in the care of her mute Precious Auntie as the family endures a curse laid upon a relative known as the bonesetter. When headstrong LuLing rejects the marriage proposal of the coffinmaker, a shocking series of events are set in motion–all of which lead back to Ruth and LuLing in modern San Francisco. The truth that Ruth learns from her mother’s past will forever change her perception of family, love, and forgiveness. (less)

message 5: by Betty Joan (new)

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant:

Her name is Dinah. In the Bible, her life is only hinted at in a brief and violent detour within the more familiar chapters of the Book of Genesis that are about her father, Jacob, and his dozen sons. Told in Dinah's voice, this novel reveals the traditions and turmoils of ancient womanhood--the world of the red tent. It begins with the story of her mothers--Leah, Rachel, Zilpah, and Bilhah--the four wives of Jacob. They love Dinah and give her gifts that sustain her through a hard-working youth, a calling to midwifery, and a new home in a foreign land. Dinah's story reaches out from a remarkable period of early history and creates an intimate connection with the past. Deeply affecting, The Red Tent combines rich storytelling with a valuable achievement in modern fiction: a new view of biblical women's society.

message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Mann | 3 comments mutter mutter mutter the Handmaid's Tale would've been perfect for this.

I got a couple ideas based on books I've already read years ago, and would love to reread, though none of them so far fulfill both conditions. They are:

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Till We Have Faces, by CS Lewis

I also want to read A Thousand Years of Solitude, but I guess that doesn't quite fit the theme....

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (elle_emm_dee) | 12 comments "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay

In these sharp, funny, and insightful essays from one of the most-watched young cultural observers of her generation, Roxane Gay takes us through the journey of her evolution as a woman of color and comments on the state of feminism today. The portrait that emerges is not only of an incredibly insightful woman continually growing to understand herself and our society, but an inspiring call to arms of all the ways we still need to do better.

message 8: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 16 comments OOooo I love this part of the book club, where everyone shares book ideas.
I read Amy Tan's Bonesetter's Daughter and love it as much as all her other books. I only wish Amy Tan would write a book every year. So I don't mind reading it again.
Spent a very enjoyable time years ago reading The Red Tent. Amazing book. I'd love to read it again.
To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite book of all time, so far. The movie with Gregory Peck was great, too.
Have read several of CS Lewis's books but not Til We Have Faces. I read a little about it, and it looks like a Greek myth. Might be fun.
I have heard of Rubyfruit Jungle for years and never read it. Sounds really interesting, ahead of its time.
Lauren always brings up a book I've never heard of. Would love to explore 'Bad Feminist.'
A Thousand Years of Solitude is already loaded in my phone, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
So, I plan to read all of these, and any of them are fine with me :)
I keep nominating The Tiger's Wife because I want to share it, I want to talk about it with people who have read it, because I do not understand why I love it so much. :)