What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > historical fiction, plantation, slaves, black magic, voodoo

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jace (last edited Feb 26, 2016 09:53AM) (new)

Jace (uwecsmithjac) | 23 comments This book was definitely "adult literature". It focused on a slave named "Tambo" who and follows him from his abduction to his travel in a slave ship until his arrival in the US. He had an affair with the Mistress of the house hold. He cast a spell on one of the house boys that turned him into a zombie, but only after the lady of the house is similarly entranced and has sex with the houseboy and then murders him.

He casts a spell on the ship's captain that brought him from Africa. The Captain makes a pass at his mate and the mate kills him.

Tambo was used as a fighting slave and bests an enormous man who was undefeated by making magic powder to weaken him.

No Pulitzer here, just trashy, pulp fiction that was a bit entertaining.

Thanks for help identifying this.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Was this set in pre-Civil War U.S., I assume? Would you call it horror? How certain are you about the main character's name "Tambo"?

message 3: by Jace (last edited Mar 02, 2016 09:40PM) (new)

Jace (uwecsmithjac) | 23 comments Hi Michele.

Yes, it was pre-civil war or far enough not south to be unaffected by the war. The war wasn't mentioned. Just live on this very sex filled plantation and the nearby town.I am 90% certain of main character's name. The slave who turned zombie was names "Erasmus"

I also vaguely recall that Tambo's god's were the, "Petrol gods" (I know how that sounds!)

message 4: by Mahya (new)

Mahya Faraahi (mahyafaraahi) | 7 comments Sounds like this one:

Drum by Kyle Onstott

message 5: by ``Laurie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1040 comments Mahya wrote: "Sounds like this one:

Drum by Kyle Onstott"

Although I've never read any of these books by Onstott I was tempted to suggest:

Mandingo Mandingo by Kyle Onstott
although Drum does seem to fit the bill.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37760 comments Mod
Jace, are you still looking for this or did you find it?