The Challenge Factory discussion

♦Factory Archives♦ > First Impressions - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

Lanelle | 13398 comments Mod
description

This is a mid-month reading challenge.
This challenge requires you to read one book AFTER you see an image.

I will post the picture early on the morning of the 15th of February. It will be behind a spoiler button like this (view spoiler). You have the rest of the month to read that book.

The image could be a painting, a photograph, sculpture or artwork of some kind. You will read the first book (that you can get a hold of easily) that pops into your mind when you look at the image I have selected.

No page limits. Re-reads are okay.
Duration : March 15- 31, 2016

message 2: by Lanelle, Production Chief (last edited Mar 14, 2016 09:49PM) (new)

Here is this month's image. Good luck!

(view spoiler)

message 3: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) I'm in again!

message 4: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Me too, please!

message 5: by Joann (new)

Joann I plan to play along again!

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments Ooh, this sounds fun! I'm in!

message 7: by Jammin Jenny (last edited Mar 14, 2016 11:58PM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 950 comments I'll give it a go!

Okay the first book I thought of on my reading list was Seven Continents: Photography of Mohan Bhasker

Seven Continents Photography of Mohan Bhasker by Mohan Bhasker

It's full of beautiful photographs ... and I believe interesting stories from the photographer's journeys around the world

message 8: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 2441 comments I'm in!

message 9: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) I'm planning on joining in again.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 103 comments Count me in.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 66 comments I'll try again this month, couldn't find the book I wanted last time.

message 12: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1205 comments This sounds fun - I hope I'll have time to squeeze another book into my schedule ;-)

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments I'm in!!!

message 14: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 4390 comments Mod
In again! I'm loving this challenge!

message 15: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 363 comments If I ever show no interest in playing First Impressions, send help because I've obviously been replaced by a pod person. Can't wait til the 15th now. ^_^

message 16: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 44 comments I'm in!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Kidd (jenniferkidd) | 30 comments I'm in

message 18: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (englishbrkfstt) I am in! :)

message 19: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I am flying to Ohio VERY early tomorrow morning, so it was better for me to post the First Impressions image tonight. I can't wait to see everyone's thoughts.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 103 comments Ooh pretty.
I will be reading Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai . The tree, the pinkish/purple sunset, and the silhouette of a girl made me think of it when I saw the picture.

message 21: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

I think that The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas ties the theme of "blue gold" and purple together nicely, so I'll read that.

message 22: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Love this months image....

I will be reading Finding Mercy (Home Valley, #3) by Karen Harper

message 23: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1205 comments I immediately thought about this cover: Lingering Shadows (The Shadows Trilogy #1) by Juliette Duncan - so I'll read it :-)

message 24: by Katherine (last edited Mar 15, 2016 08:03AM) (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments I will read Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5) by Darynda Jones , because the flower's color is the same shade as this book's cover.

message 25: by Joann (last edited Mar 15, 2016 08:25AM) (new)

Joann This is the book that's been on my TBR list the longest, which means I see it often, so was the first one that came to mind, obviously due to the color purple . Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber .
I'm on my way to Mexico soon, and this will be a good beach read.

message 26: by Joann (new)

Joann NayNay wrote: "Love this months image....

I will be reading Finding Mercy (Home Valley, #3) by Karen Harper"

That one fits perfect!!

message 27: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) I'll be reading The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth .

Follow me on this one:

1. I wanted to pick from something already on my TBR list. ✔
2. The lavender/purple color scheme is there...even with some green throw in from before the plants bloom. ✔
3. My first thought was of an old French country home with bundles of lavender tied with twine and hung from the ceiling beams. My book has some twine on it . ✔
4. The lady on the cover reminds me of a chef. A chef/cook plays an important roll in the book I chose. ✔

Now to fit it in before the end of the month! :)

message 28: by Alex (new)

Alex Shelby (jynxmecrazie) | 103 comments @Nay Nay-
Your book is spot on!

message 29: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

The cover of my book is almost as good as NayNay's... A Temporary Ghost (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #2) by Michaela Thompson .

But I'll have to read the first book in the series first.
I hope I can get to it by the end of the month.

message 30: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Yes...this month worked out perfect! I had 3 to chose from but FINDING MERCY fit the best. Plus I also love lavender.

message 31: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 363 comments Mine may seem kind of strange, but my first thought was Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts , because they both have fields on the cover (they're pretty much just different colors, on my Nook screen), and because that thing has been sitting on my physical bookshelf for almost a half decade at this point.

message 32: by Brindi Michele (last edited Mar 24, 2016 10:28AM) (new)

Brindi Michele | 156 comments Isn't that just a gorgeous photo! And it's PURPLE! My favorite! :) (oh, and yay for OHIO)

The book I just finished was the first cover that came to mind, The Highlander's Touch because of the purple. However, this book quickly popped into my head because of the field of lavender = field of wheat ---> Perfect Touch Perfect Touch by Elizabeth Lowell

***COMPLETED 3/23/16 (This was corny and downright awful.)***

message 33: by *Dawn (new)

*Dawn (x1f4dadawnx1f4da) | 175 comments I'll be reading Lavender Morning by Jude Deveraux.
Lavender Morning (Edilean, #1) by Jude Deveraux

message 34: by NayNay (new)

NayNay I finished my book Finding Mercy (Home Valley, #3) by Karen Harper 4 stars

Quiet, cautious Ella Lantz has spent her entire life in the Home Valley. Tending her lavender fields, she finds calm and serenity in purple blooms, heavenly scents and a simple life. But the sudden arrival of a strange visitor heralds a host of new complications. Alex Caldwell is unlike any man Ella has ever met—in fact, he’s a Wall Street whistle-blower under witness protection…and he's brought a world of trouble to the Lantz doorstep.

As Ella comes to trust—even love—a man so utterly worldly, she realizes her life has already changed forever. When it becomes violently clear that even the Home Valley is no refuge, Ella and Alex are driven into the wider world to hide. And, with such a high price placed on their silence, they may not survive to share their love…

Karen Harper, is a master of suspense, keeps readers guessing about crime and love until the very end, while detailed descriptions of the Amish community and the Ohio countryside add to the enjoyment of the book.

message 35: by VampAmber (new)

VampAmber | 363 comments Just finished my first impression, Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts .

Holy crap, I loved the movie, and the book was so much better! I cried a few times (I still am pretty sure I didn't sign any permission slips for those feel trips), and I kinda want to read the other book(s) she's written. Definitely going among my all time favorites. Though admittedly, there weren't really any lavender fields, or much of any fields at all for that matter. Oops? Still glad I finally got around to reading it, though (I've owned it for... *thinks* about four or five years at least, without having read it).

message 36: by Leslie (last edited Mar 24, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

Leslie | 757 comments I plan on reading The Spring Bride (Chance Sisters, #3) by Anne Gracie soon

And done! 3/24

message 37: by Katherine (last edited Mar 28, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Katherine (katkattrinn) | 760 comments First Impressions - March 2016

Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5) by Darynda Jones (Charley Davidson #5) by Darynda Jones

Month's Image - Lavender Field
Why this book? - The book is the same color as Lavender
Finished - 2016/3/23
Rating - 5 stars
Review -
I really needed some time before I started reading this series again. I made about one year pause and now I can't wait for the next book. :)

So in this books Charley's apartment is filled with twenty seven blonde women. Charley will stop the serial killer, before his next target becomes Gemma.

message 38: by ⚜️Trea, Operations Manager (new)

I finished my read: The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass, #0.1-0.5) by Sarah J. Maas , late last night. It is a series of novellas precluding Throne of Glass, but my feelings about it are kind of all over the place. I think it was good to read it before I read Throne of Glass though!

message 39: by Joann (new)

Joann I finished mine, chosen because it was purple. Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) by Heather Webber

message 40: by Lanelle, Production Chief (new)

I managed to finish my book, A Temporary Ghost (Georgia Lee Maxwell, #2) by Michaela Thompson . And it was set in Provence.

I enjoyed both of the books in the series. I wish the author had written more.

message 41: by ~Michelle~ (new)

~Michelle~ (mlundy5) I finished my book The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth on the 26th. It was very good and I gave it 4*. I needed a few tissues handy!

message 42: by Agnieszka (last edited Apr 09, 2016 04:48PM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1205 comments Since it was the first time I joined and I didn't read it the instruction carefully enough I was convinced we have time until April 15 to read our book and planned that way ;-) I'll know better next time.

Anyway, I read yesterday my book Lingering Shadows (The Shadows Trilogy #1) by Juliette Duncan and still don't really know if I liked it or not. It was not what I expected - for sure. According the title it should have been a Christian romance but was more of a drama and only a first in a series with a cliffhanger ending. Usually I don't like those - but in this case a HEA would be so annoying I would hate it. It's very confusing I wasn't able to say for sure it it was a contemporary story. I liked very much the way the author described the tough topic - not very common for a Christian book, so it's anything but fluff and uplifting though also not uterly depressing - rather realistic.

BTW: I don't thinks this cover fits this book :-)