Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Dagger and Coin > Dagger and Coin-#2 The King's Blood--What did you think?? (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new)

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
I am only about half way through, but wanted to get this up!

message 2: by Christina (new)

Christina  | 23 comments I did finish this earlier in the week and I really liked it. I was extremely sad to see that one of my favorite characters is no more. I am definitely going to read the next book in the series. I can't wait to see what directions Cythrin and Master Kitt and Marcus all get pulled into. Do you think that there was a little bit of foreboding into what might happen with Cythrin if she and Geder meet back up again? I think this is the part that intrigues me the most.

message 3: by Vera (new)

Vera M. | 37 comments Christina wrote: "I did finish this earlier in the week and I really liked it. I was extremely sad to see that one of my favorite characters is no more. I am definitely going to read the next book in the series. I c..."

Remember in book 1 when Geder has a visit with a seer:
"You will see her thrice, and you will be different people each time. And each time she will give you what you want. You have already seen her once."

message 4: by Margret (new)

Margret I'm loving Geder's character, he's so chaotic. Master kit of course too

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina  | 23 comments Oh my goodness, I had forgotten about the seer in book 1. That makes a lot of sense now. It also really makes me nervous what she will do next time they meet.

message 6: by Helen (new)

Helen Me too, and they were both different types of people to last time. Wonder what the third time will bring.

message 7: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new)

Kathi | 842 comments Mod
5 years after you all read this series, I am finally reading it, and loving it. Just finished book 2 and gave it a 10–the story is getting so much more complex and the characters have more depth now, too.

I think Geder is truly a monster, easily manipulated by Basrahip the priest and by his own insecurities, commanding & committing atrocities. But then he’s suddenly a more sympathetic character with his obsession with books and research, his relationship with Aster, and his delusions about his relationship with Cithrin.

The death of Dawson, while it certainly fit the story, was still sad for me—he was one of my favorite characters. I think Clara’s story is about to become more interesting, though!

Marcus being “thrown into a ditch” by Yardem took me by surprise, but it facilitated him accompanying Master Kit on his quest, so that worked out. And Cithrin is maturing into a smart, even more resourceful young women & banker.

I have a feeling the complexities are just starting to grow!