What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > mystery book about two best friends, I think it takes place in the south; started out with this girl's friend dying in a bed from some sort of wound made by somebody. author goes way back in time to talk about both of their lives.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silje (new)

Silje Flaatrud | 2 comments I read this book in 5th Grade, so it has to have been written before 2008. The book was pretty large but I think it was at a young adult reading level. All I remember from the book is that it started out with this girl's friend dying in a bed from some sort of wound made by somebody. And I remember that the author goes way back in time to talk about both of their lives. The story goes back and forth from real time to past time. One of the memories (I guess you could call them) I remember the best is when the friend is about 10 or 8 or something and she wants to play baseball but the boys wont let her because she is a girl and then her mom agrees to cut her hair like a boys. So her mom takes a bowl and gives her daughter a bowl cut and the boys end up believing she's a boy and they let her play with them. She's REALLY good at baseball, so she ends up making it to the minor leagues and I think the major leagues too when she grows older. I believe she has to keep up the act of being a boy because I don't think there are any women in baseball (or sport for that matter) at the time. Anyway, I think one of the main plots of the story is that the friend is trying to track down whoever killed her friend. I think she actually does end up finding the person in the end of the book. Other points I think I remember is that the book took place in the south in the US and that there were things about slavery or orphanages selling children.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Silje, is the wound from a gun, knife, etc.? How did she get it?

What do you remember about the adult friend who is trying to find the killer - her job, background/back story, family/friends, etc.?

message 3: by Silje (new)

Silje Flaatrud | 2 comments Kris wrote: "Silje, is the wound from a gun, knife, etc.? How did she get it?

What do you remember about the adult friend who is trying to find the killer - her job, background/back story, family/friends, etc.?"

I believe she was killed by gunshot. And about the friend, I remember she had her mom cut her hair so she could play baseball with the boys like I said and then she eventually went on to play major league which was her job. From there I don't remember, except that I think the friend that's trying to find the killer was only raised by her mother.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Ayshe's suggestion of Cutting Loose matches your description.

Publishers Weekly - "...in 1895 New York, 20-year-old Jackie Cross promises her best friend, Nance, who is on her deathbed, that she'll get back the locket stolen from her by her attacker, the knife-throwing showman Teddy Zeph. The book's second chapter shifts both time and place with the introduction of Claudette LaCroix, separated from her brothers and sold at auction after the death of their parents in a fire in 1826 Indiana."

Some Google and Amazon reviewers say, "...alternating chapters taking place in the past and the present. ...the history about the early baseball players and the paupers who were sold at auction." | "She dresses up as a boy so that the other kids let her play baseball."

Here is the Google Books preview - https://books.google.com/books?id=8r2...

From the book - "She carried a bowl and pair of scissors. Jackie sat up and wiped her eyes and said, "What's that for, Granna?" "If you want to play in a game that's only for boys," Claudette said, "then you'd best become a boy." ... "Do you want to play boys' baseball, or not?"

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Silje, was your book "Cutting Loose" or are you still looking?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Cutting Loose (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Z. Lewin (other topics)