Inkshares Community discussion

Promote Yours/Others' Project > ATTENTION HUMAN INMATES - Please choose your uniform.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zack (new)

Zack Jordan (zackjordan) | 35 comments If you're following The Life Interstellar on Inkshares, you got a letter from Warden "The G" Gritt this morning welcoming you to Vang Supermax Prison. He also asked for your choice between these two t-shirt designs.

However, I wanted to reach out to my Goodreads buddies as well. Which do you prefer? Why? Any other feedback?

message 2: by Billy (new)

Billy O’Keefe (billyok) | 77 comments I personally prefer the one on the right. The more urgent message -- DO NOT APPROACH! -- is given its deserved level of importance.

Though for some reason, I also think a cool idea might be if the "HUMAN" (in the same style, black text on white block) was given the large-text treatment with "Restricted Species" and "Do Not Approach" respectively underneath that. That might work within the fiction if it's widely understood that Human is dangerous? I don't know, I'm babbling now.

message 3: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Weston (acwestonwrites) | 191 comments Mod
I like "Restricted Species" much better. "Do Not Approach" might be any of those dumb "edgy" t-shirts they sell at Hot Topic or whatever, and gives me no reason to look closer. "Restricted Species" immediately implies a story going on.

♠ TABI⁷ ♠  (tabi_card) Restricted Species, definitely!

message 5: by Zack (new)

Zack Jordan (zackjordan) | 35 comments @Billy, I considered that too but I figured I would lead with one of the others, simply because there are over a million species in the galaxy and you can't expect people to know every single dangerous one, right? I figured if I was a government entity or a prison warden I would probably have to solve this problem for more than one species, thus the secondary importance of "human."

@Cara, you make a great point about Hot Topic. Do you think white on black is already too far in that direction?

@Tabi: Noted!

message 6: by A.C. (new)

Zack wrote: "@Billy, I considered that too but I figured I would lead with one of the others, simply because there are over a million species in the galaxy and you can't expect people to know every single dange..."

Hmmm, good question. White on black definitely doesn't make the shirt stand out, but it might be the best option you have right now.

I am really liking how the shirt tells a story - you see "Restricted Species" as the biggest text, then you look closer and see "Human", then "Do Not Approach", and it tells a story. There's tension, there's a reason to be interested, it brings up a bunch of new questions that make us want to know more. It's a really good shirt.

I kind of want to see something on the shirt that will tell me where I can find answers to these questions I now have... like maybe a book title? The Inkshares logo? Maybe you could put the title on the sleeve or the back so it doesn't interfere with the story being told on the front.

message 7: by Zack (new)

Zack Jordan (zackjordan) | 35 comments @Cara: You have convinced me. I kinda wonder if anyone actually takes action after seeing a URL on a shirt? Or would they only do so if the shirt actually starts a conversation with the wearer?

@Jim: Noted, human! Twitter apparently agrees.

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Zack wrote: "@Cara: You have convinced me. I kinda wonder if anyone actually takes action after seeing a URL on a shirt? Or would they only do so if the shirt actually starts a conversation with the wearer?

@J..."

I tend to think the main benefit of the URL on the shirt is in case conversation starts about it. I doubt anyone would take action from just seeing the URL on the shirt without conversation, and depending on location/size they may not even notice until the wearer points it out. I could be horribly wrong though since I do tend to be a bumbler who notices next to nothing. Either way, the URL should definitely be on there somewhere just in case.

message 9: by Zack (new)

Zack Jordan (zackjordan) | 35 comments All right, guys. I'm going to add a URL per suggestion, but here's what I'm thinking now:

Thoughts?

message 10: by A.C. (new)

Zack wrote: "@Cara: You have convinced me. I kinda wonder if anyone actually takes action after seeing a URL on a shirt? Or would they only do so if the shirt actually starts a conversation with the wearer?

@J..."

Good question... I think the point would be the conversation. Almost no one will take action just from seeing a URL on a shirt. It will help them know that there's something beyond a cool t-shirt that's pretending humans are dangerous restricted species, though. That there's a book they can read about it!

I was going to say avoid orange, but now I'm going back and forth. On the one hand, now it looks a bit like you made a fan shirt for Guardians of the Galaxy or something; on the other hand, maybe the association will be beneficial to your book?

♠ TABI⁷ ♠  (tabi_card) I personally liked the black shirt as it helps the text stand out, but I was thinking since it's supposed to be a warning... think warning colors. Red? Yellow for caution? I just don't really see that orange color as fitting with what you're saying on the shirt, but that's just me.

message 12: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold Tabi wrote: "I personally liked the black shirt as it helps the text stand out, but I was thinking since it's supposed to be a warning... think warning colors. Red? Yellow for caution? I just don't really see t..."

I don't know about red. That tends to be fatal to the wearer... Yeah, lame Star Trek joke! I'm done for the night.

In all seriousness though, I'm now also torn on the color. I would think black just because everyone can find room for another black shirt in the wardrobe, but the same can't always be said of other color shirts. On the other hand a black shirt is really the worst to fit with an inmate motif. Orange is certainly the most recognizable color for inmate clothing, but also not the only choice as illustrated by this wonderful article:
http://www.racked.com/2015/6/24/88343...
Okay, I've shared a semi-related article unneccessarily, so now I really am done. I should quit while everyone's ahead and get some sleep.