Son (The Giver, #4)
This topic is about Son
Son, by Lois Lowery

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Son
Son (The Giver Quartet, #4) by Lois Lowry

GR synopsis:
They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive? She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.

I am reading this for a secondary challenge, finish the last book in a series you are reading. I have decided to reread The Giver Quartet, and this is the fourth and final book in the series. Everything that has been read in the three previous books finally all comes together for one beautiful finale. It's been about 10-ish years since I last read the series. So far I have enjoyed revisiting the previous books, and given what is to come, I am confident that I am going to be just as happy with this one.

It's always a gamble when you revisit your childhood favorites. You never know if you're still going to like them, or if you'll end up rolling your eyes, wishing you had just left the book on a shelf. Lowry has yet to disappointment me in adulthood, and I have no reason to question that changing with this book.

message 2: by Sophie (last edited Feb 28, 2016 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I had the same apprehension as you when I re-read The Giver last year. Thankfully I loved it and read the two next book, as I didn't know they existed when I picked the first one in the library as a kid.
I planned Son for the dystopia of the 2016 Popsugar Challenge, I hope I'm going to have time to read it.

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments I hope you do and I hope you love it :D

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Just finished. It's still as wonderful as I remember it. The ending is so perfect, and fits so well with this series.

5/5

Sophie (sawphie) | 2920 comments I'm really glad the series end well, it makes me want to read it even more!

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Sophie wrote: "I'm really glad the series end well, it makes me want to read it even more!"

I really encourage this! I love this series even more after rereading it. It's a YA series, but I don't feel like it's one of those YA series that challenges it's young readers to learn new words and ideas. Lowry is great about not dumbing things down just because she is writing for a younger audience. Admittedly, that's where I struggle with so much YA; I feel like the author is being condescending. That's not Lowry's style.