2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2016 > Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ZaraS (last edited Mar 31, 2016 11:12AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb This thread is to discuss Robin Hobb's book, Ship of Magic.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants:
Aurora, Cassandra, Winter, Rachael, Clare

message 2: by ZaraS (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:16AM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 2365 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're going. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 110 pages
Week 2: 110 pages
Week 3: 110 pages
Week 4: 110 pages

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'm excited for this one! I have it from the library, but I'm not sure when I'm going to start it.

message 4: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments So am I! I'm really in the mood for some epic fantasy, I haven't ready any all year.

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I love epic fantasy, but this one seems pretty different than other things I've read.

message 6: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments Have you read any of Robin Hobb's other books? I've heard amazing things about all of them, but I love pirates - so I knew I had to start with this one.

message 7: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I read Assassin's Apprentice last year. The book is pretty good, because it has an interesting magic system and lots of political intrigue, which I love. The main character was sort of annoying, but he is also young and I think that the series will only get better from the first book. I've been meaning to get back to it.

message 8: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments I think I'll read that one next, if I enjoy this series. I love interesting magic systems! They're the best.

message 9: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Have you read The Way of Kings? I just finished that one, and the world is fantastic. The magic influences the environment in some really interesting ways. It's a very long book, though.

message 10: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments I got this book free on Kindle when I bought another book, can't wait to read it!

message 11: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments I haven't, not yet. I've read some of Sanderson's other books though and they have very interesting magic systems as well. The Way of Kings is definitely on my tbr, the size is just so intimidating. Was it a slow read for you?

message 12: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments Let me know when you start it, Rachael - and I'll start reading it too :)

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I spread it out over a couple months, which I don't usually do. I liked it because I got to savor the world for a while but the reading itself actually went surprisingly fast. I don't mind long books, though.

message 14: by Rachael (last edited Apr 02, 2016 10:33AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments Aurora wrote: "Let me know when you start it, Rachael - and I'll start reading it too :)"

I'm currently reading Cinder at the moment so perhaps in a couple of days, I will be ready for this :)

EDIT: I finished Cinder and Ship of Magic has just moved to my currently-reading shelf!

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 916 comments I was all ready to start on the 1st but forgot to take the kindle away with us! Roll on tomorrow evening when I can start reading :)

message 16: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments I'm quite a fast reader and I have already read 21% of Ship of Magic. It helps that is a very good fantasy adventure with interesting concepts and characters.
I quite like Kennit (I think he's my favourite so far). I am intrigued and want to find out more about Rache (because it's almost my name! But I think she may be just a minor background character :( ) and also Vivacia (she's only just appeared properly as a character). I am not that keen on Kyle though

message 17: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I think I will start this one next! I'm hoping to finish up the book I'm currently reading tonight.

message 18: by Rachael (last edited Apr 05, 2016 12:12PM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments Is Kyle a misogynist or just a very unpleasant character in general? I'll be interested in seeing what you guys think.
(I think I've read up to Chapter 13 now - totally forgot as I wrote this post)

message 19: by Cassandra (last edited Apr 05, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I've only read up through Chapter 2 at this point, so my experience with Kyle is limited. At this point, I'm not sure. He doesn't respect Althea at all, but he has also been hounding Brashen, basically trying to drive them both away. So at this point it seems like more of a power struggle for control of the ship than something sexist directed at Althea specifically. It does seem like Althea feels that he doesn't respect her sister in the marriage much, though.

I'll come back to this question when I get a bit farther in.

So far I'm liking the story - especially the scene with Kennit and the Others on the treasure island.

message 20: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments I really liked the scene with Kennit and the Others as well, especially the setting. That walk down the beach really pulled me into the story.

Another thing I've really enjoyed is the brief glimpses we've had from the perspective of the sea serpents and a liveship. I love reading from the perspective of non-human characters. So I hope we'll see more of that later, perhaps from Vivacia's pov?

I'm about to start chapter 4, so I haven't really seen much of Kyle yet either. But unpleasant seems the perfect word to describe him so far.

message 21: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments Cassandra and Aurora - I liked that scene with Kennit too. And, brace yourselves, Kyle gets worse. I am up to chapter 14 now and I think he is vile

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Up to the beginning of Chapter 8 now.
(view spoiler)

I agree with Aurora that the non-human characters are really interesting. The serpent beginning set the tone for the mysterious magic of this world, and the scene with Paragon (not) talking makes me want to learn more about him.

I also thought the subtle difference between the Vivacia to just Vivacia after the quickening was a great way to mark her transformation from a magical ship to a character.

message 23: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 916 comments Finally got started and now at Chapter 9.
I'm loving this and fascinated to see how the story develops and how the the different characters, both human and non-human, intermingle.

Agree with Cassandra about the subtle change from the Vivacia to Vivacia and already there have been moments when I forget she is a ship.

message 24: by Cassandra (last edited Apr 08, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Returning to your question about Kyle, I change my opinion. There's a specific point where Ronica is asking him why he is doing this to Althea and he says flat-out that it's because she's a girl. He is from Chalced, where they keep slaves, so it's not a stretch for him to think that women are meant to be controlled as well.

I'm at the very beginning of the second part (Autumn) and I'm loving it:
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments I am now 2/3 done and I am revising my opinion all the time about the characters - they are all complex with bits of good and bad in them.
At times, Kyle seems very harsh (view spoiler) but I am starting to understand why he is like that. I still don't condone his actions toward the start though.

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good to know! Right now Kyle seems like a completely repugnant character, so I'm looking forward to understanding more about his thought process.

I also want to know more about the Rain Wilds. So mysterious!

message 27: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 143 comments I've also just stared the second part and I was coming here to say exactly what you just said, Cassandra. The Rain Wilds are so mysterious and interesting. Caolwn really changed the atmosphere when she appeared.

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Yes! Ronica keeps talking about a price, which is related to the plague and drove the Bingtown Trader families out of the Rain Wilds. But the idea of a pact between the Rain Wilds Traders and the Bingtown Traders... They're both participating in something that "protects and profits from" the Rain Wilds magic. Obviously the cost seems to be higher for the Rain Wilds folk, but it sounded like there was some cost to Bingtown Traders as well... Just my musings - not a lot has been revealed yet, just hinted at.

message 29: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3016 comments Well, I have read this book now. These are my final thoughts:
This was a good fantasy novel. Characters were complex and developed throughout - all had good and bad elements and it was difficult to work out who the true villains were. The detailed descriptions made the story come alive. Speaking of 'alive', I found the concept of liveships very interesting and creative and I look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy (eventually).

message 30: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I agree with you, Rachael! The characters are what really sold it for me. I'm going to read the other books at some point, but I need to read a few shorter books to catch up on my challenge before I dive into another long fantasy novel.

It also looks like Hobb's Farseer trilogy takes place before the events of the Liveship Traders trilogy, so I might finish the Farseer books first, although I'm sure it doesn't matter too much one way or the other.

message 31: by Clare (new)

Clare Skeets | 916 comments Loved this, the characters are fab. Looking forward to reading the next one to see what happens with all the characters and how they all link together particularly the serpents and the liveships

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.