Foreworld discussion

Foreworld Saga Authors > Foreworld Canon

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.B. Matson (new)

C.B. Matson The question of Foreworld “canon,” that is, of consistency with the Foreworld story arc, came up often in posts hosted on the Foreworld web site discussion forum. I’ve taken about 15 pages of chatter and boiled it down to a few paragraphs here. Apologies for any omissions; I may excerpt a few more choice bits in the future and post them under a different topic. Discussion follows (emphasis mine):

How should we mark things as canon and does "canon" even matter? Currently, canon is defined as content produced by Subutai and released by 47North and Jet City Comics, which merely gives credence to the idea that there is a centralized plan that unifies stories across disparate time periods. The difficulty with regard to canon has a lot to do with the internal workings of available creatives, which can be boiled down to this nut: canon is written by those who show up.

The original plan was that the Subutai authors would produce Foreworld material with 47North for some time, and that the KW material wouldn't have the same visibility as the canonical works. At that time, the idea of elevating something to canon and republishing it via 47North made sense. However, when the KW material showed up in every damn search result, there was no real visibility difference between "canon" and KW. We now have Kindle Worlds material that most likely will not get elevated to official publication by 47North.

Some early KW stories were written by authors approached to do so. On the other hand, the KW Suffrajitsu project was the author’s own initiative, with Subutai’s blessing. Author Tony Wolf provided the four KW Suffrajitsu authors with advance copies of the graphic novel script, some art samples and a detailed series guide, and later editorial feedback as well.

If Subutai were to have further conversations with 47North, their emphasis would be on novels and graphic novels because those are clearly different in form than what we're seeing in KW and that would be the Canon Stick. But if those conversations don't happen, then do our readers care more about canon or about content?

So Canon will keep changing, as layers of history emerge. Different players will take on different roles as the lens of history refocuses. So the right question is not "what's canon?" But "how can I refocus the lens of history to make this story part of the larger whole?" And that's an exercise for the reader as well as the author.

message 2: by Mark, Canon Nerd (new)

Mark Teppo (markteppo) | 12 comments Mod
I agree with all these points. Being blessed by the canon stick was relatively easy in the early days, but that has become very murky as of late. I am fine with not getting lost in discussions of what constitutes canon or not because it's clear that other writers are churning through ideas more readily than what is still lying around the archives. And, as we always noted during the early days of the project, "canon" became whatever ended up on the page. What's left on the shelf cried itself to sleep until we found an excuse to use it.