Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > What can I do for feminism?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments We can have feminist clubs where there would be representatives who can collect and collate the problems faced by women n girls and accordingly find a common solution for that and if still its not getting resolved then it should be escalated to the respective area officer

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 2. Media can play an important role in giving more information to people. Try for some slogans or songs or short stories where some sort of women related problem would be told and wat the law says about it. Many people are not aware about the law

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 3. Have a website or page where women's requirement with respect to equality and justice could be posted and the officials can do something about it. I suppose each country has a representative for HeforShe. So those representatives can give some suggestions or help them out.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 4. Also make sure that women dont take undue advantage of this support provided. For that you need to have a thorough background check about the problem. This might be a lot of work as there would be endless problems logged

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 5. Enter the legal system. In countries where laws are not updated w.r.t. women, put petition to do so. If we have laws in place we can fight with legal and womens and feminist support. And if there are no laws supporting women then we have only women and feminist supporters. More the supporters better the judgement

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 6. Start road shows or some sort of enactment in schools, colleges, work place involving men and women w.r.t. the struggle of women. Womens day we can have a fair type wherein there would be women started business stall giving ideas how women can survive alone. Women previously suffered from some sort of inequality wherein she reigned it and she can share her story. debate competition between men and women. Artistic womens handicraft exhibition cum sale. Seminar, Safety training, etc.etc.etc.
This would be like a future project as we have to cover women from the entire globe

message 7: by Kathrine (last edited Feb 26, 2016 08:29AM) (new)

Kathrine | 6 comments What: educate children and youth (both boys and girls) about feminism and equality, both global and local challenges

Why: it is important to start early and to understand that feminism and equality applies to all (regardless of age, sex or where you live).

How: inspired by Gloria Steinem - a campaigning program/road show that visits schools and talk about feminism and equality. Include a wide variety of topics from genital mutilation to equal pay and gender topics. Relate it to local challenges. An international group can outline a general program for the campaign and national groups can help adapt it to specific local challenges. Talking face to face about such problems have a great impact (like Gloria Steinem described so well). I think, and hope, creating a safe environment where kids/youth can talk about these topics will help them incorporate these thoughts as adults.

I look forward to reading the other suggestions from the other participants too, I would also like to do more in my home country and globally. I think relating feminism to local challenges, what each individual experiences, is crucial. Gaining confidence and learning what to answer when people accuse you of whining when talking about feminism should start at an early age.

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat Trina | 15 comments Hi there! Awesome, I've been thinking about this exact topic a lot myself: how to DO and not just TALK.

I'd say the first step is to live your life by your values, as much as possible. As the old adage goes, "The personal is political". By being open about being a feminist, and by respectfully speaking up when someone says or does something that conflicts with those values, you can really change people's ideas. And i think one of the most important tasks the feminist movement is faced with is getting conversations started: influencing people and getting people to challenge their own inherited ideas about gender (and race, sexuality, etc).

Once you've got your arguments down pat, it's a matter of figuring out what issue(s) really speaks to you. Within the broader concept of feminism there are individual problems that need to be addressed. Some examples:
The wage gap, glass ceilings, and occupational gender ghettos
reproductive rights
sexual violence and street harassment
media representation and its psychological effects on women
etc.
I find focusing on one particular issue for a period of time helps focus my energy and makes the idea of fighting for gender parity more doable and less intimidating. From there, it's a matter of googling and reading about how to get involved, brainstorming for ideas.
hope that helps!

message 9: by James (new)

James Carroll | 10 comments Emma wrote: "Hi there!

For a while now I've been looking for something that I can actively do for women's right and feminism. But I can't seem to find something. However, I can't imagine there isn't something..."

Dear Ms. Watson:

If you're looking for advice on a serious matter, there is a question I must ask you. Have you thought about endorsing Hillary Clinton for president of the United States? I am making an inquiry because I feel scared of Donald Trump taking this position and possibly instigating worst decisions in the future. I believe your countrymen in the United Kingdom feel the same way as I do. If England, Germany, Taiwan, and South Korea have female leaders, then let us hope Ms. Clinton will earn this job. After all, we need a person who is capable of standing up for good.

Sincerely and with good spirit,

James Carroll

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Gunaseelan (SimplyRay) | 13 comments 7. One more option is create job opportunities in male dominated jobs or work place. Encourage and motivate women that they are capable of handling jobs which we thought so far that only men can handle.

message 11: by Gayle (new)

Gayle Kimball (gaylekimball) See the thread about 100,000 letters. if many of us wrote, we'd have an impact. The February letter is to the Prime Minister of Pakistan about girls' education, includes a sample letter with facts.

For March, I suggest spreading the word about the International Women's Day pledge for parity. March 8 is International Women's Day.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.