Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Will have info to share....

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 27 comments I am a librarian and stumbled upon a bit of a mess. It appears that Angela Sheehan and Angela Royston are both children's book authors that worked together, and actually worked on the same books, albeit different editions. Ms. Royston worked on later editions that had the same titles and cover art as Ms. Sheehan's work, but with different content aimed at a different age group. It is a complex situation that I am working directly with Ms. Royston on to try to attribute the editions to the correct author.

I will have a fair amount of email with Ms. Royston that should probably be kept to backup the changes I will be making to the entries for both authors, with her help. How would you like me to proceed?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
While they are separate people, it sounds like the situation should be dealt with similarly to one author with two pen-names.

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...
In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

It is a good idea to post all relevant information from such private discussions in this group before making any major changes, both for purposes of documentation, and to double-check your proposed edits with other librarians.

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 27 comments This is not just a case of two books having different authors, but the book itself was changed when the Ms. Royston did her edits. So we actually have different books, even though they have the same name and cover art. These are not just editions of the same book. There will be editions within Ms. Sheehan's books as well as Ms. Royston's books. I have been told which editions should go with which author, so I am sorting them accordingly.

message 4: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 27 comments I would like to send you a copy of the emails I have shared with Angela Royston, as well as a .jpg file that helps to identify one of the series that I have been working with. Please let me know how you would like that info.

Ms. Royston has confirmed that I have separated their editions properly, and prefers to not have her name included in Angela Sheehan's works. There are also at least 5 other authors that have contributed to the vast number of "editions" or separate works with the same or similar names. I stumbled into a hornet's nest.

Let me know.

Elaine