Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Dirt Riddles: Poems
This topic is about The Dirt Riddles
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Wrong author on my book

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Walsh | 3 comments There is another "Michael Walsh" in your system, so when I follow the instructions to join the Author Program by clicking on the name next to my book, it takes me to another "Michael Walsh." What is the solution?

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Is your book The Dirt Riddles?

message 3: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments If so use this link to claim your author profile

https://www.goodreads.com/author/conf...

Your profile is Michael^^^^^Walsh (where ^=space) to separate you from others with the same name.

You will have to remember to add the 5 spaces between names when adding books or ask in this group for books to be moved to your profile

message 4: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones (wendyloujones) | 3 comments I have another author with my name too. She keeps getting my books attributed to her. How can I stop this myself, rather than asking someone else every time? (Wendy Lou Jones)

message 5: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Hi Wendy,

First, some Goodreads info, if you aren't aware of it already: Goodreads uses extra spaces to disambiguate authors with otherwise identical names. The profile you claimed is Wendy^Lou^^Jones (^ means space). The extra space between Lou and Jones ensures that your books appear on your profile and not any other Wendy Lou Jones profile. However, because other databases don't use the same system, if your books are added to the Goodreads database by a user or by an automated database update from Amazon or OnixIngram, your books will be added with the default, single-space spelling. Thus, your books will land on the wrong Wendy Lou Jones profile.

There really isn't a way to prevent that from happening 100% of the time. Your best option is to make sure that you add any of your upcoming books directly to the Goodreads database yourself once you have the ISBN and/or ASIN in hand. When you add it, make sure you spell your author name correctly (i.e., include the extra space between Lou and Jones). That way, the outside databases won't have a chance to add your book to the wrong author profile.

However, if a user or a database import adds your book's ISBN before you do, the book will still appear on the wrong profile. Also, if you don't add every edition of your book manually with each individual ISBN or ASIN, then editions of your book will also still appear on the wrong profile.

So the only other thing you can do is watch the default, single-space profile (here) and post a request to the librarian group if you ever see one of your books going astray. Librarians are happy to move them for you at any time.

Also, just FYI, you'll get a faster response to your requests in the librarian group if you start a new thread, rather than posting to an old thread dedicated to a specific book.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones (wendyloujones) | 3 comments Thank you very much. Very useful to know. I'll remember that. :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.