Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > New Cover feedback please!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Hi Everyone!

Finished the new cover for the second book in my post-apocalyptic/humor series and was hoping to get some feedback.

Keep in mind that this is designed after classic Nintendo video gave cover art. Retro video games and 90's pop culture are very prevalent in the story itself.

Let me know what you think!

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Harris (tylersharris) | 36 comments Do you have a picture of the original game cover? I figure it might be easier to give feedback if we have your reference point.

message 3: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner Good point. This was the best I could find. Not the best image, but you can get the idea.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina Smith (cnsmithauthor1) | 21 comments Hi Ben,

I've just read the entire thread and now that I see the reference point on which your cover is based it makes sense. I think your target audience would really appreciate your cover art and they would "totally get it". It's good.

Continued success!

message 5: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4334 comments Mod
Some elements seems to be directly lifted from the original cover art of the game. Be careful with that. If those are copyrighted or trademarked, you could be in trouble.

I can't read any of the text in that "seal of quality" on your cover.

message 6: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Angell (heidiangell) | 241 comments Lol, love it! You certainly pulled at my nostalgia strings! However, Dwayne is right, you do want to be careful with the similarities of Trademarked materials.

Also, you might want to consider the audience you are looking to reach. If it is predominantly 30-40 year old males, this will definitely pull at their nostalgia, but if you are looking at a younger audience then they may not get the reference.

message 7: by Mezbauddin (new)

Mezbauddin Mahtab | 3 comments Hi. I didn't get any of the references, so perhaps you should ask those who played the original game or your target crowd rather than the general crowd - they can give better feedback.

message 8: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Sweet Maker!

Ben...
This...
We...
Wow... just...
uh... but...
How? What?!

I think we need to be friends Ben. I really do.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread... but wow. Just wow. I just released this book. Notice a resemblance?

I'd say we are on the same wavelength here. Seriously. Be my friend.

You might Metroid and Nintendo, and I might be Gauntlet and Atari, but wow. Seriously. Freaky.

Okay, I also plan to help!

You need to shift it a bit more away from the original. Nintendo... is the Disney of video games. They come down hard and without mercy. Sorry, but it is very true, ask YouTube.

So what needs to be modified...

Password pak. Is that relevant to your book at all? Probably not. Get rid of the magnifying glass since it is completely identical, and use that space to promote your book! a quick 2 word idea there, like Beta tested, or something.

Adventure series. I don't know what yours says there, it is small, but that needs to go. that logo is spot on, traced even. They own that. That needs to go. What happens in your book that could replace it? Jumping from explosions?

Your seal is different enough, but maybe change the shade. That Nintendo 'gold' is pretty famous.

The ground. That is the ground from Metroid. You need to change it. Did you draw the fire or the moon? :)

Otherwise I like the art. Maybe a few pixels could be removed to make his face and shoulders a bit 'rounder'. I've done lots of pixel art, so if you need any help, just ask.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner C.B. wrote: "Sweet Maker!

Ben...
This...
We...
Wow... just...
uh... but...
How? What?!

I think we need to be friends Ben. I really do.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread... but wow. Just wow. I just re..."

I just DM'ed you C.B! Obviously we're going to be friends.

message 10: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Abbo (abbobooks) | 32 comments I just want to say that you guys are hilarious. And Ben I like you cover now when I see the original game cover, otherwise I wouldn't know what to think.

message 11: by L.J. (new)

L.J. Burke | 9 comments I guess i'm a little confused by the cover. It does look a bit like a Nintendo game cover though.

message 12: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Yeah, so this happened...

message 13: by Abhik (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:25PM) (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Hi Ben,

Your cover tugged at my nostalgic strings, so you have that going for you :) I am not that old, but I still think that I was one of the last batches of humankind to go through the Nintendo era.

One suggestion I do have is for you to change the background colour from gray to pure white, as the orange is, in my opinion, not contrasting too well at the moment.

Of course, it's totally your call, but those are my two cents :)

Everything else looks smooth.

Cheers and all the best!

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Tomlin | 52 comments C.B. wrote: "Yeah, so this happened... "

I like this one much better. The text in the seal is still a little hard to read, but I'm overdue for an eye test!

message 15: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments I have to admit CB did a great job. I couldn't read the first line on the original.
Also changing the guy falling in the water for something else might save a problem with copyright material. Just a thought.

message 16: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments yep. like the 2nd one better!

message 17: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

Oh yes, I did it with permission, and now my version is the real cover! Neat!

message 18: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments C.B. wrote: "Oh yes, I did it with permission, and now my version is the real cover! Neat!"

Cool!