Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Reading Outdoors

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments Are any of the new Kindles particularly good for reading outdoors?

My kindle fire isn't so hot (no pun intended.) The text is difficult to impossible to read in outdoor light, even protected from direct sun.

Here comes summer and I want to keep up with my books, beloved books.

message 2: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments I've had a Kindle Voyage for a while now. A basic workhorse ereader. Works just fine indoors and out, lightweight, feels like a real book in your hands if you buy a "book" style cover for it. And they're not very expensive.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

message 3: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 18 comments DJ Zippergirl wrote: "My kindle fire isn't so hot (no pun intended.) The text is difficult to impossible to read in outdoor light, even protected from direct sun.."

The eReaders are going to be better for outdoor reading. No glare. But they are not so good for low-light/no-light conditions.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 54 comments I read my Voyage at lunch on our outside patio every day and in the dark when I wake in the middle of the night, it's a champ.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments Natalie wrote: "DJ Zippergirl wrote: "My kindle fire isn't so hot (no pun intended.) The text is difficult to impossible to read in outdoor light, even protected from direct sun.."

The eReaders are going to be be..."

Natalie, I have to respectfully disagree. I have never "met" a lighting condition that the Voyage could not be adapted to by adjusting the light setting.

Whether I'm sitting at the kitchen table with a bright light, watching television, having dinner and reading, or whether I'm in a theatre where the house lights have mostly dimmed but not gone out because there's someone in front of the curtain yammering about something...I can read just fine.

Just my USD .02...and no offense is intended.

Eric

message 6: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (haveah) | 18 comments Eric wrote: "Natalie, I have to respectfully disagree. I have never "met" a lighting condition that the Voyage could not be adapted to by adjusting the light setting. "

Actually- that's good to know! I know people who have the other Kindle eReaders, and they are not so versatile.

message 7: by Tobias (last edited Feb 26, 2016 09:45AM) (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments An ereader with no built-in light can obviously not be used in low-light conditions.

Kindle Fire tablets have backlit screens that are tiring for the eyes, and glossy screens that can't be used in the sun. Kindle ereaders have matte coating that makes them glare-free in the sun. Of the Kindle ereader models, Voyage and Paperwhite have frontlit screens that are easier on the eyes and make them perfect for reading in low light conditions (like in bed; the frontlight doesn't mess as much with your sleep as the Fire backlight does).

While Eric calls the Voyage a "basic workhorse" ereader that isn't very expensive, Voyage is the more expensive and more premium big brother of the Paperwhite. The Kindle Paperwhite is a very good device. The Voyage has an adaptive frontlight and physical page turn "buttons". The latest Paperwhite has the same nice screen as the Voyage though.

message 8: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK I agree with most of what has been said above but I just wanted to expand on a few things and clarify a few terms. My hope is that this will help you understand what you're looking at when you look at the product pages on Amazon.

Tablets vs. Dedicated E-Readers
The Kindle Fire is a tablet. Tablets are “backlit”. As you’ve seen, their screens are much like a computer screen or a smartphone. This kind of technology is more apt to show a bad glare when viewed in direct sunlight so it’s not great for outdoor reading. For some people, these types of screens also cause more eye strain.

A dedicated e-reader that uses e-ink technology is a completely different beast. It looks much like reading a paper book and you won’t have any issues with sunlight glare. Just to be sure you know, a dedicated e-reader is really not good for much else but reading. Unlike a tablet, you won’t be using it to check your e-mail or surf the web unless you’re really desperate. There’s some basic browser functionality in the Kindle e-readers, but it’s really clunky.

Lighting for E-Readers
There are basic Kindle e-readers that don’t have any lighting. With these, you would need ambient light just like with a paper book.

Other Kindle e-readers, such as the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kindle Voyage, are “frontlit”. They still use e-ink, but they implement a lighting technology that shines light across onto the “page”. This doesn’t cause glaring, not even in the sunlight, and you can adjust the brightness of the light to be suitable in any lighting condition. It’s sort of like reading a paper book under perfect lighting conditions, but better because you can change positions without casting shadows on your book and you can move around without losing your light.

Paperwhite vs Voyage
I have a Voyage and I love it, but my opinion is that the latest Paperwhite (released last summer, I believe?) is the best value for the money. This Paperwhite has the same screen resolution as the Voyage, and most of the same features. The most notable difference is that the Voyage also has button-like things called PagePress buttons that you can squeeze on the sides to turn the page. They aren’t actual buttons, but they give haptic feedback (a tiny vibration) that makes them feel almost like a physical button. You can also still touch the screen to turn the page like normal. Since you’re used to a Fire, you probably don’t have any attachment to buttons, so this probably wouldn’t be worth the price difference to you.

There are a few other less important features, such as automatic adjustment of the lighting brightness (which I turned off because I prefer to adjust it myself), and some cosmetic differences. You can read about the features on the product page, just keep in mind that most of the features listed will also exist on the Paperwhite. If you have any doubts, you can check back with us and we can confirm or deny!

I believe the current price difference is about $80. If you have the extra money and want the Voyage, it’s a great device. On the other hand, if you want to save money, you probably won’t miss out on anything by choosing the Paperwhite instead. The Voyage I think is more for those of us who are attached to our buttons and/or like to get the top-of-the-line models just because they’re cool and we have a little extra disposable income. :)

message 9: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments This information has been fabulously helpful. I just tried one more time to sit outside and read with my zenpad and the reflections make it nearly impossible to focus.

Now I understand the differences between a kindle and a ereader. Saw a photo of the two side by side outdoors and there's no comparison.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

message 10: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments DJ Zippergirl wrote: "Now I understand the differences between a kindle and a ereader."

Apparently not ;) "Kindle" is just Amazon's ebook brand. It encompasses ereaders (Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch, etc) and tablets (Kindle Fire).

message 11: by W. (new)

W.  Frazier | 20 comments LOVE LOVE LOVE my Paperwhite Kindle. I've had it for a while now. Love being able to walk into a completely dark room and read away (or outside on the patio through sunset). No worrying about light sources. During the warmer months I put the Paperwhite Kindle into a zip-lock Baggie and float in the pool or venture onto a sandy beach. No worries. The x-ray feature, the dictionary, the adjustable light, and the price point. Perfect. Great outdoor and indoor reader. (These features have me spoiled and now I only read books in Kindle format).

message 12: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments Tobias:

Errm, I left out the word FIRE. Preordered the first one, and loved it til the power source went bad on it.

message 13: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments Oh, right. Haha. Speaking of power source, nobody has mentioned one of the biggest differences between a Fire and an ereader: Battery life. Kindle Fire has a normal tablet battery life, while the ereaders last a lot longer.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Germain (demiguise) | 58 comments I think another consideration should be what types of things you like to read. I have some friends who prefer to read magazines, manga, comics, etc. (image-heavy items) online, and the dedicated e-readers aren't the best vehicles for that, IMHO. They've improved since the original K1, but they are still grey scale. For most who are looking for some kind of e-reader, that probably won't be an issue, but it is something to keep in mind.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 55 comments Erin wrote: "I think another consideration should be what types of things you like to read. I have some friends who prefer to read magazines, manga, comics, etc. (image-heavy items) online, and the dedicated e-..."

This is true -- and my Kindle Fire HD also does a better job with image-heavy nonfiction. Which is why I have a Voyage and my HD!

message 16: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments Okay, totally going with the idea of a Paperwhite in a ziploc, and a blanket on the beach.

One further question from me to you, dearhearts. Are the older Paperwhites sufficient for basic reading, or should I go with the bells and whistles like the GR connection? I'm seeing this ereader as a supplement to my tablet for daytime/outdoor reading.

Thank you for your kind help.

message 17: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 50 comments All the Paperwhite models have the Goodreads features.

There are three Paperwhite models, from 2013 (Paperwhite 1, 5th generation device), 2014 (Paperwhite 2, 6th generation) and 2015 (Paperwhite 3, 7th generation).

PW 2 and 3 have a new homescreen layout and some other software bells and whistles that PW 1 lacks. PW 3 has the best screen (same resolution as the more expensive Voyage model). They're all good though.

message 18: by W. (new)

W.  Frazier | 20 comments For which model is the best, for me, I usually do an analysis on what I'm using the device for and what bells and whistles I actually need. For reading in the pool and on the beach there are definite hazards in locale. And since I'm hard on my devices, (and don't want a lot of guilt if I do something stupid) it's difficult for me to justify the highest end device. And the whole point of reading at the beach is that calm factor. For a lot of outdoor reading in precarious places I went for the basic Paperwhite, the good standard Amazon cover, a box of Zip-Lock Baggies and I felt set. I do still covet the Voyage. I could see going back one generation to purchase a Paperwhite but not sure I would go farther. The price point for the newer technology is pretty good.

message 19: by W. (new)

W.  Frazier | 20 comments P.S. Just found out an AARP membership gives you a 10% discount on Kindle devices. To join you must be 50 years old. $16. Not sure if that helps? (smiles).

message 20: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments I can't thank each of you enough for your help and input. (Wendy, how diplomatic you are.)

I'm thisclose to getting a Paperwhite. I see a $20 difference if I purchase one with "Special Offers." Are these VERY ANNOYING? Or should I just cough up the Andrew Jackson for a more zen experience?

message 21: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 101 comments DJ Zippergirl wrote: "I can't thank each of you enough for your help and input. (Wendy, how diplomatic you are.)

I'm thisclose to getting a Paperwhite. I see a $20 difference if I purchase one with "Special Offers." Ar..."

Do you seriously want to see AMZ promoting stuff you may or may not be actually interested in every time you turn your Kindle on? Perhaps even every time you go back to the home page? If that's your idea of quality reading time, go for it. *teasing smile*

I decided I was happy to pay for the privilege of not being promoted to death when I got my Voyage.

Just my USD .02.

Eric

message 22: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK DJ Zippergirl wrote: "I see a $20 difference if I purchase one with "Special Offers." Are these VERY ANNOYING?"

I don’t think they’re annoying at all. You see them on the main page when your Kindle is asleep, and I think you see them in a small strip along the bottom of the home page but I couldn’t even say for sure without going into the other room to get my Kindle and double check. You don’t see any sort of offers when you’re reading, and that's what I'm doing 99.99% of the time that I'm using my Kindle. When my Kindle is asleep, I tend to swipe past the special offer screen with one hand even while I'm still opening the cover with my other hand, so I barely even see the one that's there while it's asleep.

You can pay $20 to get the special offers turned off if you don’t like them, so my recommendation would be to take the discounted price and then you can always pay the $20 to turn the offers off if they really bother you.

message 23: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments YouKneeK wrote: "DJ Zippergirl wrote: " take the discounted price and then you can always pay the $20 to turn the offers off if they really bother you. "

Bingo! I think I'm going to do it this way and see if I get $20 worth annoyed. It's just for sitting out back, anyway.

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

message 24: by YouKneeK (new)

YouKneeK DJ Zippergirl wrote: "Bingo! I think I'm going to do it this way"

No problem! If you do decide it annoys you, this is where you go to pay the $20 and turn them off, once you own a Paperwhite.

1. From “Your Account” (menu near the top-right hand side of Amazon), go to “Manage Your Content and Devices”.

2. Enter your password if prompted.

3. Near the top, you’ll see tabs that are so big you might hardly notice they’re tabs. Click on the one that says “Your Devices”.

4. Click on your Paperwhite to select it, then look below the device list. There's a section that says “Special Offers: Subscribed”. Click on the blue “Edit” button next to that.

I can’t wait to hear how you like your Paperwhite once you have it.

message 25: by Zippergirl (new)

Zippergirl | 36 comments It's heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere. Will have a chance to check it out after dinner. I think I'll name it Sunshine.

message 26: by W. (new)

W.  Frazier | 20 comments Congrats & Enjoy!

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Congrats and enjoy