Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > May's Book of the Month-Duncan's Bride

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Reese wanted a wife. Someone to have children with, someone to help rebuild his ranch, someone uncomplicated, and very different from his first wife, the woman who'd destroyed his life. Now he had Madelyn--sophisticated, citified, willing to herd cattle, keep house and start a family. The only thing she asked for in return was love--one thing Reese couldn't guarantee.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments finally!!

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments Yea! I will start this as soon as I finish Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts.

message 4: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4979 comments Hurrah...love this book...and Maddy!

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy | 854 comments I'm so excited that this book finally got picked for BOTM. It is on The Romance Reader Top 100 List and I bought it to read because of that. I've been waiting for it to be picked for BOTM. It sounds good.

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Great we will have great discussions.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Since I can't read Don't Tell at night I am rereading D.B. What a good, wholesome book. I say that by comparing our two BOM. Don't Tell is exciting and has you on the edge of your seat. Duncan's Bride is an easy, laid back kind of book. Kind of like how L.H. describes Maddie.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments Maddie may have been laid back, but she had a spine of pure steel, which she needed to deal with that thick headed cowboy she choose to marry. Grit and determination are how I would describe Maddie.

message 9: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4979 comments I love Maddie and her style, her brains, and her attitude! She believes she's a full partner in that marriage, regardless of how long it takes ol' Reece to realize it. I'm off to re-read it for about the 5th or 6th time. ;)

I've returned Don't Tell...way too violent and I have zero tolerance for women like the female character who stay in abusive relationships as she did. Give me a Maddie any day!

message 10: by Nancy (last edited May 05, 2014 05:41PM) (new)

Nancy | 69 comments I love Maddy. She is a good match for Reece. Reece might be a jerk and a bit extreme in his behaviour but I do understand where he is coming from. Love the book; have read it many times.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1610 comments I can see why Reece is the way he is. He got the royal shaft by his ex-wife. He will carry that for the rest of his life. Maddie is a totally different person and she makes him face that fact, even when he doesn't want to.

message 12: by Dee (last edited May 07, 2014 02:00AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I don't know if I had even heard of a prenuptial until the late s 70s or 80s. I understand Reece's determination to keep his land. That had to have really hurt, after two years of marriage she gets half of everything his grandparents, his parents, and he worked for. I thought it was so cool how April put him in her will and he got back all the money she took from him. It made Reece look at the relationship a different way. I liked how it happened after let go of his rage over her getting a settlement.

message 13: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments This is one of the things I think made LH great-these big surprises at the ends of the books,and wow do I ever love them.

message 14: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 69 comments Yah, when I read about Lisa dying and giving Reece back his money in her will, and her reasons for going after the farm assets during the divorce settlement, I felt sorry for her. It is always more fun when the ow is a b*#+h.

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘  (codegal) Yayyy! Love this one, can't wait to re-read for the millionth time, lol. I do have a soft spot for novels about mail order brides/arranged marriages/marriages of conveniences.

message 16: by Janeiowa (last edited May 08, 2014 11:32PM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4979 comments I'm at the opposite end of the feelings for first wife....thought her name was April. I thought what she demanded of Reese in the divorce settlement was what put the capital B on Bit*h.

message 17: by Dee (last edited May 20, 2014 03:50PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments April was the ex-wife and Lisa was April's sister. I agree with you Jane I NEVER felt sorry for her. I was glad she gave back the money, but anytime a person does something out of revenge they are not only hurting that person they are hurting themselves.

I also have a soft spot for Mail order brides etc.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I think this is one of my favorite books of LH

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Does anyone have a favorite passage or quote?

I think my favorite quote was when Maddie told Reese her opinion of the early days of their sex life.

He said, "Do you me to stop work and play with you? Can't you go a whole day without a man's attention? Maybe you'd thought we'd have a sexy little picnic out here and you'd get your skirt tossed."

She turned to fully face him, her eyes locked with his. Her words were slow and precise. "Why would I care? From what I can tell, sex isn't worth a walk across the yard, let alone chasing it across the range. I've got better things to do with my time."

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy | 854 comments I loved this book. My favorite part was when Maddie moved to town and worked at the café. Once Reese discovered where she was, he kept coming to the café everyday to try to talk her into moving back to the ranch. Business at the café picked up, because the customers enjoyed the interaction between Reese and Maddie. The passage reads: "The café was totally silent as the few customers still there watched with bated breath. The situation between Reese Duncan and his spirited wife was the best entertainment the county had seen in years."

message 21: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa | 4979 comments That was one of my favorites, too, and the ol' cowboys who bought pie to sit and watch "the show."

Another one was when Reese realized she was wearing HIS shirt, and he wondered how much else of his wardrobe she'd "borrowed."

message 22: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Oh I loved both of those scenes. I also loved how Reese and Maddie had to fight the weather together, how he almost suffocated her trying to get her into the house. I also loved the scene where Reese was pulled into the pond by the bull, and then as Maddie was getting Reese out she fell in. I loved those parts because it showed how both Reese and Maddie had made a team. It seems to me that even if there isn't love in the beginning working as a team, especially in those kind of situations plant the seeds for love.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 854 comments Dee wrote: "Oh I loved both of those scenes. I also loved how Reese and Maddie had to fight the weather together, how he almost suffocated her trying to get her into the house. I also loved the scene where R..."

Beautifully said!

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks Judy. I liked Maddie, she was no one's doormat. Each time he pulled something, like the scene when they were in the bathroom and he left her sexually frustrated. I loved her retaliation then when she moved to town until he admitted he loved her. Reese is such a knuckle head!

message 25: by Janeiowa (last edited May 15, 2014 06:27AM) (new)

Janeiowa | 4979 comments I've always wondered what Reese does with the money April's will returned to him. I'm assuming it was in the millions to have left him in such dire financial condition. I'm guessing he'd (1) repay Maddie ( and probably another spat about that), (2) buy back his land, if he could; (3) hire hands and continue to diversify as he and Robert had agreed to, (4) put some aside for his children's education.

I hope everyone who loved this book also read the follow-up one about Robert - Loving Evangeline where you also have a scene with Maddie and Reese a few years later.

message 26: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Loving Evangeline is so good. I hope that is on the list for next month.

Penelope ✘ that awkward girl that doesn't go here ✘  (codegal) Just finished the re-read a few days ago and I have to say, I enjoyed the book just as much as I did the first time I read it several years ago. I think my favorite scene was their first official day as husband and wife. I had to laugh that Maddie had worried over not getting so much as a kiss on the cheek by her husband before he left for the day which is something I would totally be hung up on. And in with the majority on this one, I didn't once feel bad for April and was even moreso convinced when we met the sister. If she really felt bad about what she did, you would make reparations sooner rather than leaving it in your will, that's the cowards way out methinks.

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments You hit the nail on the head, Penelope. April should have made reparations before she died. Alcoholics Anonymous 9th Step is to Make direct amends such people (persons we have harmed) whenever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. If she would have gone to any kind of treatment she had to have known about this step. If she wouldn't have been willing to do that to him while she was alive then she didn't want to get sober. If you REALLY want to be willing to sober you are willing to do ANYTHING even run around the block naked flapping your arms and squawking like a chicken. LOL

message 29: by Eve (new)

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Take one old-fashioned Montana rancher, who lost 1/2 of everything he owned to his first "city" wife during a divorce and one "city" girl who's determined to make him believe in love again and Linda Howard serves us enjoyable journey through trials and triumph.
I really enjoy how Maddie challeges and frustrates Reece at every turn, and the ensuing contest of wills is wonderful. And all the best elements of a romance novel are here in spades - sexy hero, engaging heroine, increasing sexual tension, hot love scenes, and emotional revelations. WOW. WOW.