Lit Collective: An Online Reading Retreat discussion

March 2016 - Fairy Tales > Fairy Tale General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 119 comments Mod
This thread will be to discuss "My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me" and the Annotated Grimm's Fairy Tales.

I couldn't find any discussion questions that were not geared toward grade school kids, so I figured we can wing it in our discussions of these books.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (willowdragon) | 3 comments I haven't read this yet, but my first comment will be: Is anyone else disgusted by how darn expensive it is to find a copy of this?! Minimum I can find is £20, and that's an american import so chances are add another tenner on for Customs fees.

I'm determined to read it however; Gaiman is a literary God. I'll likely be late to the discussion though as I have to wait for the March paycheck (p.s I have acquired a new disgust for the lack of fiction in my local library)

I hope someone else reads this before me, and let's me know whether it's worth £20.

message 3: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 4 comments Amy wrote: "I haven't read this yet, but my first comment will be: Is anyone else disgusted by how darn expensive it is to find a copy of this?! Minimum I can find is £20, and that's an american import so chan..."

Amy, I just bought this used on amazon & it should get here by next Monday. I'll read a few of the tales & post my opinion!

message 4: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) | 4 comments I actually have two different versions of Fairy Tales from that same series - The Annotated Brothers Grimm and The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen. It might be fun to pick some specific fairy tales to read, since the books are quite long.

I read Cinderella a few days ago, in preparation for starting Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

message 5: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 7 comments I borrowed a copy from the library but haven't started yet.

message 6: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 7 comments Moonlight, did you read any from My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me: Forty New Fairy Tales?

I read the first story this morning and wish I had more context to Baba Yaga, as I'm not versed in Russian tales. Although this held true for all three Russian tales. I felt at a loss, wanting to have read the original to have a comparison.

I'm going to have to spring for a Russian fairy tale book one of these days.