Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Adelaide get together

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments For anyone who is interested in a meet-up, mystery book swap (thank you Mish for the idea), coffee and lunch at a time and venue to be determind, please put your names down here.

So far Nicki and marlin1 have shown interest. I was thinking that a good time for it would be the first weekend of April, (2nd and 3rd). If that is good or another weekend would be better than let me know here.

If you live in Adelaide or from the country or interstate and can come along then please put you're name down here. We had such a great with the first meet-up here and Adelaide and would love to see plenty more new faces to join us this time.

The mystery book swap is were is you select a newish book you own, wrap it and write on it what genre it is. then at the meet we will decide on wich one we wan't. :)

message 2: by Nicki (last edited Mar 02, 2016 03:20PM) (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Hi Michael. That weekend would be okay for me.
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread. I had a busy weekend/start to the month and didn't get chance to check group posts, but now I'm caught up, I'll aim to look once a day in case there are any messages.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments That's wonderful Nicki. If anyone else here is interested in attending then please let me know here. :)

message 4: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis Hi I am in (if I can find a newish book)

message 5: by Michael (last edited Mar 29, 2016 02:37AM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Splendid Stef. It will great to catch up with you again. :)

Confirmed attending

Michael
Nicki
Stef
Ash
marlin1
Chris

message 6: by Ash (new)

Ash Thomson | 10 comments Hi! I am definitely up for this!! Will keep my eye on the thread for updates!

message 7: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 390 comments Yes, okay for me too :)

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria | 52 comments I should be ok to meet up too

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments That is great stuff Maria.

To explain the mystery book swap a bit more. each one of us brings in a newish book or one of your choice, that you wrap and put a tag on with what genre it is. I will put all the names of everyone who is attending in a hat. During our meet-up i will draw a name out of the hat and that person will choose a book. then they pick a name out and that person does the same and vica versa till all names are done. After unwrapping if you already have the book then more swapping can be done. :)

Thanks to Mish who did this at the Melbourne meet-up, for the idea. :)

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Hey everyone. Just letting you all know that if you would like to attend our little get-together here in Adelaide, can you please put your names down here before the 23rd of March.

For those how have indicated there interest, I will msg you in the next couple of days about date and venue option. :)

message 11: by Chris (new)

Chris Miles (cruisingcricketer) | 44 comments I would love to be involved as well, hoping I am not too late to join up. I may not be able to spare too much time that weekend (Term One reports are due on the Monday) but love the idea and am sure I can spare a bit of time for this.

By the way, I did an Autumn clean-up of my books and have about 300 that are looking for a new home - wide range of genres. Most books are third-hand but in good condition. I do most of my buying at either the Oxfam or Lions Bookshops.

If anyone would be interested in obtaining some free books, please let me know and I can bring some of these along as well. My alternative is to put them all up for 'adoption' at the St. Ignatius' school fair, where I am a teacher.

Cheers

message 12: by Michael (last edited Mar 23, 2016 03:23AM) (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Hi Chris, you are more than welcome to join us. I will send a message to you detailing the date venue and time. :)

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Miles (cruisingcricketer) | 44 comments Thanks for that, Michael.
Will see you there.
Cheers

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Hi everyone,

Just letting you all know the booking has been made with a meet-up time of 11am of the 2nd of April. So looking forward to seeing you all. :)

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Unfortunately Maria has had to pull out of our meet-up, but there will still be six of us going. Really looking forward it. :)

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68713 comments Mod
Have a wonderful time Michael and everyone!

message 17: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis :)

message 18: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 3103 comments It's so fun meeting book friends, I hope you all have a great time and fill us all in!

message 19: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Thanks Brenda, i'm counting down the days. :)

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Not long now!!

message 21: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 3068 comments Surely not showdown day Michael :O

message 22: by Stef (new)

Stef Rozitis Ok I better have a shower so I can come. My treenage son said he will come. His comment was "they better not think it is rude if I ignore everyone and read" (his standard practice everywhere we go. I took the liberty of permitting him to do that!

message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash Thomson | 10 comments I might be a little late. My 9am thing actually turned out to be a 10am. But hopefully it will only be by 15 mins. So looking forward to this!!

message 24: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8056 comments Stef wrote: "Ok I better have a shower so I can come. My treenage son said he will come. His comment was "they better not think it is rude if I ignore everyone and read" (his standard practice everywhere we go...."

LOL, I love it! Oftentimes I would like to do that at a gathering not of my choice.... but reading at a gathering of readers, I can't see how anyone could be offended by that!

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Hi Guys

Following our chat at the meet up, here is the link to that virtual historical fiction event:

https://historicalfestival.wordpress....

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Are the authors on that site all Aussie Nicki?

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Hey everyone, not long back from the meet-up and had a really good time. It was just lovely meeting you all and it is always a thrill to meet people that you know online. Great company with wonderful food and drink for a very enjoyable few hours. Also remembered to take a photo this time. :)

Left to right: Stef's son, Stef, Nicki, Marlene Michael and Ash.

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Great photo Michael - lovely to see you all there together:) How did the book swap go?

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Went great Brenda. Was happy with the books I got wich was The Popeye Murder: A Rebecca Keith Mystery and The Black Cauldron. :)

message 30: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Well done! Very nice:)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "Went great Brenda. Was happy with the books I got wich was The Popeye Murder: A Rebecca Keith Mystery and The Black Cauldron. :)"

The Popeye Murder: A Rebecca Keith Mystery looks like a great book, Michael. I hope you enjoy.

message 32: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Thanks Melissa. I am looking forward to reading it and being set in Adelaide is a bonus.

message 33: by marlin1 (new)

marlin1 | 390 comments Thanks everyone for a lovely time : )

message 34: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Michael wrote: "Hey everyone, not long back from the meet-up and had a really good time. It was just lovely meeting you all and it is always a thrill to meet people that you know online. Great company with wonderf..."

Great pic Michael and so glad it was a success and you all had such a good time. Makes me impatient for our next one now, which I'm hoping you'll be able to attend again. I'm seeing Mish soon so I'm sure we'll chat about it. :)

message 35: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Great Elaine- you will have to fill me in on the details when it gets closer. Like I have said a few times I will be doing my darndest to get over for it. Had such a great time seeing you all and would love to do it again. :)

message 36: by Elias (last edited Apr 02, 2016 12:16AM) (new)

Elias Zanbaka | 862 comments Even though I don't live in Adelaide, you guys should do a story swap along with your book swap. My English teacher used to make us do this in primary school. It involves each person folding up a piece of paper into three sections: you start the story off with the first act and then pass it onto someone else who writes the second act and then they pass it on to another person who concludes it with the third and final act. At the end, you get your story back and hopefully it'll be an interesting mix of ideas and hopefully unpredictable with many twists and turns! It's a fun exercise for any fellow writers out there.

I had a story start off as a fantasy adventure with wizards only to turn into an action thriller involving a chase and then into a slapstick comedy in the vein of "Home Alone".

message 37: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Michael wrote: "Great Elaine- you will have to fill me in on the details when it gets closer. Like I have said a few times I will be doing my darndest to get over for it. Had such a great time seeing you all and w..."

Definitely will keep you in the loop Michael...I'm sure Mish will too. I think Mish was saying maybe sometime in July or was it August? I can't remember now!!! It will definitely be one of the topics of conversation though , when we meet up, I'm sure.

message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I think she said August, but whatever time it is I will do my best to be there for it. :)

message 39: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Michael wrote: "I think she said August, but whatever time it is I will do my best to be there for it. :)"

That's great!!! :)

message 40: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Michael wrote: "Hey everyone, not long back from the meet-up and had a really good time. It was just lovely meeting you all and it is always a thrill to meet people that you know online. Great company with wonderf..."

Hello friends from Adelaide. So glad you all had a great time!

Great photo Michael. Nice to put names to faces and seeing everyone sharing their love of books over good food and coffee. Wonderful to see :)

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Thanks Mish. We all had such a great time, with lots of chatting and lovely food and drink. We did your bookswap idea wich I think will become a bit of a tradition. :)

message 42: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Michael wrote: "I think she said August, but whatever time it is I will do my best to be there for it. :)"

Elaine wrote: "Michael wrote: "Great Elaine- you will have to fill me in on the details when it gets closer. Like I have said a few times I will be doing my darndest to get over for it. Had such a great time seei..."

Yes, I can't wait for our next one Elaine and Michael.....I was thinking early August :) but will let you know as soon as possible Michael, to give you enough time to plan your trip ;)

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I should be alright if I give a months notice for leave so I keep my eyes out for a new thread in the lead up. :)

message 44: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Michael wrote: "Thanks Mish. We all had such a great time, with lots of chatting and lovely food and drink. We did your bookswap idea wich I think will become a bit of a tradition. :)"

Wonderful! so glad it turned out a success and everyone like it. I'm pretty sure we'll do it again at our meet-up :)

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Looking forward to it. Already thinking about what book I can bring. How about that for forward planning. :D

message 46: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Michael wrote: "Looking forward to it. Already thinking about what book I can bring. How about that for forward planning. :D"

Haha....Love it :D

message 47: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Markus (nickijmarkus) | 168 comments Brenda wrote: "Are the authors on that site all Aussie Nicki?"

Hi Brenda. No, I think many are English, but I can't say for sure. A couple of the books I got to read when I signed up were by English authors, I remember.

message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Nicki:)

message 49: by Suzie (new)

Suzie | 359 comments Looks like another fun Goodreads outing! I'm looking forward to our next Melbourne one too :)