YA romance discussion

Book Discussions > The Summer I Turned Pretty

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lesashoe) | 263 comments Mod
Start discussing!

message 2: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) This was an enjoyable read, keep you guessing. It is a quick and easy light read. I like the story so much I will definitely read the whole sequel. I didn't really like much the characters going back and forth but fortunately those chapters were or feel short.
I could not put it down! I just started the next one!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

I am quite excited to read this. I don't really like the title though it sounds superficial slightly. I don't know if that's just me. Does it give that feel to you guys?

message 4: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) It really sounds superficial :-)
Another thing is that she is very young during the story, however I would love for this to develop and have a complete knowledge of what happen and how went everything since that early age.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited May 02, 2014 11:18PM) (new)

Priscilla wrote: "It really sounds superficial :-)
Another thing is that she is very young during the story, however I would love for this to develop and have a complete knowledge of what happen and how went everyth..."

Yes I agree without even reading the book yet! I am also curious to see how the storyline progresses over three books.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Rebecca (awordshaker) wrote: "Yeah I don't really like the title either.

I've only read about 20 pages so far and I'm not really sure what I think yet. I get what you mean about her being young. It's easy to read because of th..."

I am still yet to pick this up so I don't know too much about it. How young is she conveyed to be?

message 7: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) She is fifteen for a long time...

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Priscilla wrote: "She is fifteen for a long time..."

Rebecca (awordshaker) wrote: "It seems like she's younger though."

oh. I think that is what i am not going to like about it.
has age made you not like the story as much?

message 9: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) It happened to me, I got so into it that read the three books in like a week!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Rebecca (awordshaker) wrote: "Awesome, I hope that happens to me. :D I've borrowed this one from the library but I plan to buy the boxset if I like it.

I've ordered the author's latest book already too because I've heard such..."

is that To All the Boys I've Loved Before?

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Rebecca (awordshaker) wrote: "Yeah."

I am really eager to read it as well. It is on the poll for what everyone wants to read in June if you wanted to vote for it. (sorry for the promoting, I just want it to be a group book next month!)

message 12: by Lisa (new)

I am quite annoyed because the copy I was hoping to borrow from my library is still on loan and was meant to be returned a couple of days ago, so I am unsure when I will get to read this book :(

What would you think if The Summer I turned Pretty was turned into a movie?

message 13: by Lisa (new)

I completely agree with you.
I mean The Fault in Our Stars is a great book and I am looking forward to the movie, but there are so many good contemporaries out there that they could be made into a movie.
Although if I think the age thing will annoy me in the book it would annoy me more in the movie, as they would probably get someone who is a lot older than what age she is meant to be. That just annoys me about tv shows/movies sometimes.

I think I will definitely read it soon, but whether it is this month I don't know. However I will resurrect this discussion ahahah.

message 14: by Rose (new)

Rose (bookishrose) The age thing on movies or tv annoys me too! Sometime the real age is really important.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Especially with teen movies and tv shows!!

Speaking of contemporary movies, has anyone seen the If I Stay trailer? And/or read the book?

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose (bookishrose) I've seen the trailer. It's gorgeous.

I want to read the book first.
Does it looks like the book (this far)?

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Roser wrote: "I've seen the trailer. It's gorgeous.

I want to read the book first.
Does it looks like the book (this far)?"

It does from the trailer, but I am a bit unsure of how some scenes will appear on screen. There is one intimate scene where they are playing each other like an instrument (sounds quite weird, but works in the book) and I have no idea how they will do that without looking odd.

I really loved the book so I guess I am a bit sceptical about the movie.

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose (bookishrose) It sounds so cool! I can't wait to read the book. I'm in such a contemporary mood right now. I read To All The Boys I've Loved Before and it's so cute.

Thank you for creating this discussion page! :)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Roser wrote: "It sounds so cool! I can't wait to read the book. I'm in such a contemporary mood right now. I read To All The Boys I've Loved Before and it's so cute.

Thank you for creating this discussion page..."

Thankyou for discussing things in the discussion page!

I've been wanting to read To All the Boys I've loved before for a while and I am hoping it is next months book.
I am interested to read her writing style.

message 20: by Rose (new)

Rose (bookishrose) It's not perfect but I enjoined a lot. Lovely read.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 1 comments From the reviews I've read and this discussion, it looks like I'm the only one who really liked the flashbacks! I don't know what it is about them, but whenever a book I read has a lot of flashbacks, it instantly just makes me like the book more. It could be because it could provide some sort of explanation as to why a character seems or behaves in a certain way, or just simply because it's sort of like a mini story, say if a friend were to tell you a funny story about their childhood. I did think it got a bit confusing at times, whether she was talking in the past or present, but for the most part I really enjoyed that aspect of the book.

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Erin wrote: "From the reviews I've read and this discussion, it looks like I'm the only one who really liked the flashbacks! I don't know what it is about them, but whenever a book I read has a lot of flashback..."

I can understand why you do like them and I am the same in the way. It all adds the character development which is what I like! I am looking forward to seeing if I like the flashbacks or if it seems annoying.

Thanks for your thoughts!

message 23: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) I read both, If I Stay and Where She Went, and really like them both, however the second one I liked it most. I saw the trailer as well, loved the main song for the trailer and look forward to see the movie. :-)

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Priscilla wrote: "I read both, If I Stay and Where She Went, and really like them both, however the second one I liked it most. I saw the trailer as well, loved the main song for the trailer and look forward to se..."

I still need to read Where She Went but I can't find many copies anywhere and not sure if it's worth buying. I was saying before to Roser I am not sure how the cello scene when they 'play' each other will translate, what do you think Priscilla?

message 25: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) I think you should read it! I highlighted a lot this book, I really liked it. Dont' miss it!

message 26: by Rose (new)

Rose (bookishrose) Priscilla, I have the book in epub version of the book if you send my your email in private I can send it to you.

message 27: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Casalino (priscycas) Lisa, there you go, Roser can send you the book. I was reading it yesterday to remember a little and I remembered that I liked every page :-)

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Roser wrote: "Priscilla, I have the book in epub version of the book if you send my your email in private I can send it to you."

Sorry this is quite late Roser I actually found the book in another library so I am hoping to read this soon :) thank you anyway.