Kids of Goodreads discussion

Books > What are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cairn (new)

Cairn (cairnspinkcat) | 9 comments What are you read? Do you like it?

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin I am currently reading a classic called Emma and it is by Jane Austin. I am also reading a book called The Witches by Roald Dahl. I am really enjoying both of those books.

message 3: by Cairn (new)

Cairn (cairnspinkcat) | 9 comments I read The Witches every year at Halloween. I really like Roald Dahl.
Right now I am read 5 different books, Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, So you want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane, Pay it Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde, The Secret of Ashona by Kaza Kingsley, and The girl who fell beneath Fairyland and led the revels there by Catherynne M. Valente.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Cairn, My older sister is the one who recommended The Witches to me. I don't think I've read any other Roald Dahl books but, I want to check some more out. The other books you listed all sound interesting I'll have to check them out sometime.

message 5: by Katy (new)

Katy (joanne34) | 7 comments Erin wrote: "I am currently reading a classic called Emma and it is by Jane Austin. I am also reading a book called The Witches by Roald Dahl. I am really enjoying both of those books."

I love 'Emma', it's a gorgeous book. If you enjoy the classics I could recommend you some of my faves. The thing about those classics is there's a good reason why they're still around 100 years later! I love Roald Dahl, he's a great one too :-)

message 6: by Katy (new)

Katy (joanne34) | 7 comments Cairn wrote: "I read The Witches every year at Halloween. I really like Roald Dahl.
Right now I am read 5 different books, Searching for Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, So you want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane, P..."

I must read 'Pay it Forward' - I watched the film which was brilliant.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Katy-Rome wrote: "Erin wrote: "I am currently reading a classic called Emma and it is by Jane Austin. I am also reading a book called The Witches by Roald Dahl. I am really enjoying both of those books."

I love 'Em..."

Could you recommend me some classics? I've been trying to read them more. The only other two I have read our Little Women by Louisa May Alcott and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy (joanne34) | 7 comments Sorry it took time to reply, I've given some thought as to what to recommend to you. I'll start with the 'easiest' going on to the longer and more complex reads.

'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith
'A Room with a View', E.M. Forster
The Phillip Pullman quartet starting with 'The Ruby in the Smoke'
Charles Dickens - maybe starting with 'Oliver Twist' though my personal favourite is 'Little Dorrit'
Obviously other Jane Austens, perhaps 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility' (sensibility is the old-fashioned term for what we would perhaps call 'sensitivity')
And more of the Brontes - maybe you could go on to 'Jane Eyre', and then my favourite is Anne Bronte's 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall'
Elizabeth Gaskell, I love 'North and South' - lovely story and very interesting also as a backdrop to the industrial revolution.
Then Thackerey's 'Vanity Fair', though maybe a bit of a challenging read.
Daniel Defoe's 'Moll Flanders', fabulous story!! A baby girl born to a convicted crimanal in Newgate prison in the 1700s, her story.

You know, maybe you've enough to be getting along with for .. um, a few years! Sorry, I do get carried away.

If you like romance, then Georgette Heyer is a fabulous writer, great attention to detail (set in Regency England) and often very humourous - and lovely feel-good romances :-)