Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > An author who began writing under a pen name...

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Gordon Holmes Gordon Holmes wrote a number of mysteries. He was actually Louis Tracy Louis Tracy and wrote mysteries and plays as himself as well. The confusing part is that the more popular Holmes books were apparently republished under Tracy's name??

I have a Gordon Holmes book which is not currently listed on the site, No Other Way, published 1912. To add this correctly, should I:

A. Add it under Tracy's profile and place Holmes as the secondary author

B. Add it under Holmes's profile and place Tracy as the secondary author

C. Combine the authors?

Sorry...I am still figuring out this librarian stuff!

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43589 comments Mod
Please see: https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...
In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its primary author name changed to the originally published pen name, with the additional name added as secondary for all editions with it on the cover. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 196 comments Thanks! I thought I remembered reading something about it but couldn't find it.