Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2016 > 10.6 Book Lovers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6140 comments 10.6-Book Lovers
Read a book that has been shelved at least 25 times as books about books.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments And it looks like there will be no 1001 books on this list ( unless someone wants to research it for me whilst I am stuck in the hell that is my work! ).

message 3: by Connie (last edited Feb 25, 2016 08:06PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1396 comments Amanda wrote: "And it looks like there will be no 1001 books on this list ( unless someone wants to research it for me whilst I am stuck in the hell that is my work! )."

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco is on the 1001 list. It's a chunkster.

Found another one! Possession . Also Northanger Abbey and The Hours.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12301 comments Byatt's is on the list. Possession and The Children's Book. I think there may be others.

message 5: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6140 comments Amanda wrote: "And it looks like there will be no 1001 books on this list ( unless someone wants to research it for me whilst I am stuck in the hell that is my work! )."

I have seen several:
The Club Dumas
Possession
The History of Love
The Children's Book
The Reader

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Connie wrote: "Amanda wrote: "And it looks like there will be no 1001 books on this list ( unless someone wants to research it for me whilst I am stuck in the hell that is my work! )."

The Name of the Rose..."</i>

Thanks, I looked briefly and saw [book:The Name of the Rose
, and was slightly put of by the size, but it is a possibility. I have read all the others.

Thanks for checking!

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Byatt's is on the list. Possession and The Children's Book. I think there may be others."

thanks Elizabeth, I will have to see if I have The Children's Book, as I have a few Byatt's, but have only read Possession.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Kate S wrote: "Amanda wrote: "And it looks like there will be no 1001 books on this list ( unless someone wants to research it for me whilst I am stuck in the hell that is my work! )."

I have seen several:
[book..."

Thanks Kate, am off to check my shelves and the library.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Adding to the list of 1001 books :

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - does this count as the description seems to indicate comic books ( the setting is at a time before they were called "graphic novels" ) rather than a book ?

The Marriage Plot

House of Leaves

A Room of One's Own

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Amanda wrote: "Adding to the list of 1001 books :

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay - does this count as the description seems to indicate comic books ( the setting is at a time before they w..."

Kavalier and Clay is about comic books, but it isn't actually a comic book/graphic novel, just a plain ol' novel :) I haven't read it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things!

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Sam wrote: "Kavalier and Clay is about comic books, but it isn't actually a comic book/graphic novel, just a plain ol' novel :) I haven't read it yet, but I've heard nothing but good things! "

Thanks Sam. I was more wondering if it fit the task due to being about comics rather than books, as such. On re-reading the task it would seem that as it has been shelved here more than 25 times it would count ( cos, you know, Harry Potter gets shelved on EVERYTHING and I would often say it is not relevant!)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12301 comments Amanda wrote: "On re-reading the task it would seem that as it has been shelved here more than 25 times it would count"

Yes, sometimes - on lists especially - there are things that just seem, well, wrong. But we go with them anyway because we mods haven't read nearly as much as we would like to have read and therefore don't make our own lists. ;-)

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, sometimes - on lists especially - there are things that just seem, well, wrong. But we go with them anyway because we mods haven't read nearly as much as we would like to have read and therefore don't make our own lists. ;-) "

But I thought Mods were like Librarians and Book Shop Owners and they had read ALL the books!! ;)