Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2016 > 10.5 Novellas

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 10.5-Novellas
Read a novella of between 100 and 150 pages.

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1102 comments So it specifically needs to be a single fiction story of that length? Just to confirm my understanding of the word novella...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Beth wrote: "So it specifically needs to be a single fiction story of that length? Just to confirm my understanding of the word novella..."

Yes, fiction only.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Hmmmm ... Looks like I have research to do tonight!

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 534 comments Does it have to be published as its own entity? Or could it be part of a short story anthology... I'm thinking of Four Past Midnight for example, which are four novels in one volume.

message 6: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Feb 25, 2016 07:43PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Rachelccameron wrote: "Does it have to be published as its own entity? Or could it be part of a short story anthology... I'm thinking of Four Past Midnight for example, which are four novels in one volume."

Yes, it needs to be a single volume.

And good to see you back - we've missed you!

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2370 comments Just wanted to get an ok for A Death in the Sánchez Family by Oscar Lewis
The GR page does not include a page count...my copy has 119 pages.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Ed wrote: "Just wanted to get an ok for A Death in the Sánchez Family by Oscar Lewis
The GR page does not include a page count...my copy has 119 pages."

Yes, and thanks! I much prefer fixing those now rather than when you post.

message 9: by Amanda (last edited Feb 26, 2016 12:55AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Amanda wrote: "Double Indemnity ?
The Postman Always Rings Twice ?
The Driver's Seat ?"

All fiction that is between 100 and 150 pages will qualify for this task.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Double Indemnity ?
The Postman Always Rings Twice ?
The Driver's Seat ?"

All fiction that is between 100 and 150 pages will qualify for this..."

As per usual, I am presuming it is MPE that counts ? I try to make sure that I do the search, rather than check my own collection ...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments MPE is the standard by which RwS operates.

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 534 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rachelccameron wrote: "Does it have to be published as its own entity? Or could it be part of a short story anthology... I'm thinking of Four Past Midnight for example, which are four..."

Thanks! I've been ghosting around for a few seasons but I think I'll try and fully participate on this one!

message 14: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2391 comments Honestly, I'm not trying to be a pia!! :)

Death of a Snob by M.C. Beaton

I own this book, the actual edition that is considered the "MPE" and I can assure you that the actual story is 148 pages. GR says 160 - I can only assume they are counting the title pgs + ads for her next books at the back. Is there anything that can be done? I can scan in the last page + the ISBN page of the novella to send to someone.....

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Valerie wrote: "Honestly, I'm not trying to be a pia!! :)

I own this book, the actual edition that is considered the "MPE" and I can assure you that..."

Fixed. This happens all the time. GR imports from information mostly supplied by the publisher, and publishers tend to estimate page count and round to the nearest that is divisible by 4 or 16, which is how pages are printed before cutting.

You can always report these in our librarian thread and someone will fix it.

message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2391 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Honestly, I'm not trying to be a pia!! :)

I own this book, the actual edition that is considered the "MPE" and I can..."

Thanks, Elizabeth - and here I thought they were trying to boost the page count to justify the price! ha, ha....

message 17: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments I'm curious if the book I'm currently reading will work - it doesn't seem to have a print edition. :/

Stripped by Lauren Dane

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11968 comments Kazen wrote: "I'm curious if the book I'm currently reading will work - it doesn't seem to have a print edition. :/

Stripped by Lauren Dane"

For page count, we'll use the 110 from the Kindle edition, so yes, it looks like it would qualify.

message 19: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 623 comments Thank you, Elizabeth!