Reading with Style discussion

RwS Spring 2016 > 10.4 Popular Genre

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments 10.4-Popular Genre
Read a book with "mystery" listed as the first genre on the book's main page. Mystery must be listed second if "fiction" is the topmost genre.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments Should we get books approved before starting reading if the numbers are close? e.g. The Trouble with Goats and Sheep

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Rosemary wrote: "Should we get books approved before starting reading if the numbers are close? e.g. The Trouble with Goats and Sheep"

You don't need to have them pre-approved, and we will use the ranking based on when you post.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1369 comments So if you start reading a book and it drops before you finish and post, you are out of luck?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments itpdx wrote: "So if you start reading a book and it drops before you finish and post, you are out of luck?"

Yes, but mystery is a *very* popular genre, and you have two opportunities for a book to qualify: 1) mystery is the top genre; 2) fiction is 1st, but mystery is 2nd.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments I don't know if this helps. This is the mystery shelf with 5000 listings. I don't know if all of them have mystery as the first listing, but the huge majority of them do.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1369 comments So I shouldn't put in The Map Thief which currently has mystery listed first even though it is tied with historical fiction because it would take just one person to make it second to historical fiction.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments itpdx wrote: "So I shouldn't put in The Map Thief which currently has mystery listed first even though it is tied with historical fiction because it would take just one person to make it second to..."

Well, some part of this is a challenge. And there is always the Square Peg.

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1369 comments Just have to strategize on what I decide to read for the task and not pick ones that are close!

message 10: by Rebekah (last edited Apr 01, 2016 11:11PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4245 comments I just finished another book that has no genres on the book's page although it is listed as a Tony Boudreaux mystery #4. The book is Vicksburg by Kent Conwell

message 11: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments It fits my task, Rebekah - 10.7

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1563 comments It also fits 10.2 (single word).

message 13: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4245 comments He also fits license to write. I just wonder what's up with these books not having a genre on their page?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Rebekah wrote: "He also fits license to write. I just wonder what's up with these books not having a genre on their page?"

That book has been added by a total of 41 people. Not everyone uses genre shelves.

message 15: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4245 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "He also fits license to write. I just wonder what's up with these books not having a genre on their page?"

That book has been added by a total of 41 people. Not everyone uses genre..."

Oh that's what I wondered before, was it how people shelved books that made the genres on the page

message 16: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 02, 2016 10:03AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Rebekah wrote: "Oh that's what I wondered before, was it how people shelved books that made the genres on the page "

Yes. I moved your question over to the socializing page, where I answered it. Maybe I should have answered it in the general questions thread. I didn't think of that until this very moment.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 17: by Lagullande (last edited Apr 18, 2016 11:50PM) (new)

Lagullande | 999 comments Please can you let me know whether The Girl in the Red Coat will fit this task?

"Mystery" is the third genre, after "Thriller". However it is shown as being shelved by more people as "Mystery" than "Thriller", so does that make it the second most popular genre (not to mention the 4th option of "Mystery>Crime")?

I'm reading it anyway, but just wondered. Many thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Lagullande wrote: "Please can you let me know whether The Girl in the Red Coat will fit this task?

"Mystery" is the third genre, after "Thriller". However it is shown as being shelved by more people..."

We're going to stick with the task as worded, but sometimes there is a caching issue on Goodreads. Should it move up before you post (or before we do a scorekeeping session), we'll count it when you post. I see that the author fits the 4-letter task, so your read will count somewhere!

message 19: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 999 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "We're going to stick with the task as worded,"

That's fine, Elizabeth. It is definitely a weird algorithm that GR uses for its genres!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Lagullande wrote: "That's fine, Elizabeth. It is definitely a weird algorithm that GR uses for its genres!"

I couldn't agree more!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Lagullande wrote: "Please can you let me know whether The Girl in the Red Coat will fit this task?

"Mystery" is the third genre, after "Thriller". However it is shown as being shelved by more people..."

I just clicked the link and see it listed at #2, behind fiction ;)

message 22: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 999 comments Amanda wrote: "I just clicked the link and see it listed at #2, behind fiction .."

Oh yes, both Thriller and Mystery now have 48 votes (yesterday Thriller only had 47, but was above Mystery in the list). I better speed up my reading before something else strange happens......

message 23: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 999 comments Amanda wrote: "I just clicked the link and see it listed at #2, behind fiction .."

And now Mystery is back down below Thriller again, even though both still have 48 votes :-(

message 24: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4494 comments Lagullande wrote: "Please can you let me know whether The Girl in the Red Coat will fit this task?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one, too!

message 25: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments I've just finished The Moonstone. It has "mystery" as the second genre, after "classics," which is slightly annoying, as "classics" isn't really a genre as such. I know you have already ruled to stick to the wording of the task, but I though I'd just check whether in this case you'd be willing to accept the book or not. If not, no worries :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11969 comments Kätlin wrote: "I've just finished The Moonstone. It has "mystery" as the second genre, after "classics," which is slightly annoying, as "classics" isn't really a genre as such. I know you have alr..."

No, he doesn't work for the Mystery task - I didn't get to claim my Armadale for that either. He does work for 20.5, which is where I posted him.

message 27: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 173 comments Thank you Elizabeth! I missed the possibility of 20.5! That works for me too!